Glock Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10,618 Posts
I think I would have to go with an active shooter, in a school, cannot become a hostage taker as he has exhibited his desire to kill kids.

He remains an active shooter that must be neutralized as soon as possible. Period. If at all possible.

As long as he is alive and functional, we can’t start treating victims. If he decides he wants to go back to killing his hostages, while you are attempting to contain him or negotiate with him, he can easily kill 2-3-10 more kids before you can react.

So. If I were still teaching active shooter, as I did for 15 years or so, you go in. You hunt him down and, you kill him. Or, you find him proned out begging for mercy.

The pursuit of him does not stop. Does not take a break.

In an hour, he could have boobie trapped the room. ( See Breslan). Even if your not hearing shots, he could be strangling them. Stabbing them.

Tough words in an era where cops are beaten to death with In Service talks about de escalation. Dealing with the mentally ill, and the looming charges when they have to kill a threat to children. I’m sure someone would still be upset.

· Registered
10,618 Posts
I was the SRO Sergeant. I had 15 Officers. Every officer had masters to their school. Maybe three keys, total.

I had great grand masters for every school. Every building. Up to and including the superintendents office.

If I ever found adoor I couldn’t open,ISD maintenance had it fixed by morning.

We were the city PD, assigned to the schools.

We had a big rival football game coming up. Doc A, deputy Superintendent said “Sarge, I want extra Officers!” I said, How many you want? He said “Hell, I want ALL of them!”

I said, that’s about 275…you good with that?

“Hold up now Sarge!”

Anyway, I had huge resources I could draw from. Everybody trained together. We had maps of every school in dispatch database they could sent to responding MDC’s. And, paper maps concealed in common places in every school.

I would be in charge until SWAT showed up. Never had an LT override me.

The streets of hell are paved with the bones of lieutenants that didn’t listen to their Senior Sergeants.

I had all the training. Manpower. Cooperation of the ISD I could ever hope for.

· Registered
10,618 Posts
I spent 21 years at the rank of sergeant.
21 years as a Sergeant earns you quite a bit of respect.

Well done LT.

(I only had stripes for 17 years…and thought I was senior…sheesh)

Reactions: SAR

· Registered
10,618 Posts

I got it. Sorta. Maybe you can’t breach the door. Can’t get a gun in the room.

But, evacuating the rest of the school would be something.

If moms inside and, shots are being fired. It’s not “just” a barricaded suspect. If she arrived after all the snipers were in position, it’s way after the initial attack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts