Glock Talk banner

An SRO engaged the school shooter in TX

13036 475
There was an SRO in the elementary school in the school shooting in TX. He was shot by the gunman defending the school.
Imagine how many more would be dead if a good guy with a gun wasn’t there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
While I want to agree with the 'give the facts time to come out' I cannot think of a reason to not go in ASAP. This was never a hostage barricade, this was a barricaded active shooter. As long as he has access to additional victims and he is preventing you from obtaining medical treatment for those he shot then you still have active killing going on.

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
It was the teacher in room 132 per the briefing.

I havent heard anything about if/when the school went on lockdown.
Read this earlier....

Twisted killer Salvador Ramos played sad music during his slaughter in Texas — which began when he told a teacher “goodnight” before gunning her down, a student survivor recalled in a harrowing new interview.

Miah Cerrillo, the quick-thinking 11-year-old who smeared herself with her slain friend’s blood to play dead, divulged chilling details from Tuesday’s carnage at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde.

She told CNN that her fourth-grade class had just finished watching Disney movie “Lilo & Stitch” Tuesday morning when their two teachers got an alert about an active shooter.

One of the educators raced to lock the door to their classroom — but Ramos, 18, was already there, and blasted his way in by shooting out a window in the door, the traumatized girl revealed in an off-camera interview.

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
I get we have a lot of experience and training in this forum. Many probably had the same training I have and I am sure many have a good bit more.

However, my view is still this was never a hostage barricade. It is not like he shot someone across the street and then eventually barricaded in the room with the children. Those children in that room were his targets. As long as he has access to more potential victims and his presence is stopping access to those who were in dire need of medical attention he is still classified as such. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt just because the shooting temporarily stops. He has shown his willingness to kill indiscriminately and that bell cannot be unrung.

I get why the sequence of events would cause someone to question their tactics, no one wants to force entry and have him start shooting again finishing off whoever was left alive because you pressed the fight. We all know if that happened the media and everyone else would question why they "barged in". But, you have to assume he is going to do that anyway due to his past actions. As I said earlier these children were his targets, not just human shields he happened to come across. It is a **** sandwich any way you look at it.

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
Im in the same camp. But our initial training and subsequent training was that once it becomes a barricade you hold and wait for SWAT. Same if the shooting stops, hold and wait for more people (assuming you were in a short team).

I think that this incident will change how these are handled in much the same way Columbine changed the response protocols. I think going forward its going to be locate and neutralize the threat asap.
You are probably right. I keep going back to the ALERRT training class I was in a few years ago. I vaguely remember a scenario where we were in a diamond searching for 2 shooters. We found them in a classroom, one was holding a student with a pistol to her head and the other was in the back of the room with a mix of casualties and others at gun point around them. We bogged down at the door because the lead guy started communicating with the guy with the hostage who was saying 'you come in and I kill her'. They ended up shooting the 4 or 5 students before we could react and enter. We were told then, an active shooter never gets the benefit of the doubt when surrounded by targets....they killed once they will kill again.

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
Even BorTac waited for the key before attempting an entry.
I read an article which I have no way of finding now that said BorTac attempted a breach and failed which prompted the search for the key. So even a tactical team who I assume had some sort of breaching equipment struck out.

As we know, outward opening fire rated doors on a metal frame are the toughest thing out there to get in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts