Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an SRO in the elementary school in the school shooting in TX. He was shot by the gunman defending the school.
Imagine how many more would be dead if a good guy with a gun wasn’t there.

·
Florist
22,362 Posts
Great job Officer! Prayers for a full recovery.

Kudos to all the LEOs (on duty and off duty) who responded. I heard LEOs from multiple agencies formed the stack that breached the classroom. Not bad, not bad at all for people who likely never ever met before!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I just read a CNN article where they said the SRO didnt shoot. Anyone know for sure? Also, anyone know how he gained entry to the school since they supposedly had everything in place to prevent something like this.

·
Florist
22,362 Posts
I just read a CNN article where they said the SRO didn't shoot. Anyone know for sure? Also, anyone know how he gained entry to the school since they supposedly had everything in place to prevent something like this.
SRO didn't shoot or didn't have the chance to shoot back before he was hit? IDK.

What I saw earlier this afternoon was that the SRO "engaged" the shooter, causing the shooter to drop a bag containing more ammo.

I never heard the word 'shoot, fired at,' or any synonym indicating the SRO actually discharging his pistol etc... I can't imagine the SRO not engaging with gunfire if he had the chance, given that a long gun should/would have been visible. Unless of course the SRO was shot before he had the chance to draw and shoot.

The shooter gained entrance from a back door that apparently was unlocked (or openable from the outside).

·
Registered
839 Posts
If your local police chief or sheriff no longer lets their officers visit schools like in Washington State, then the need to get replaced with a real proactive leader yesterday if not sooner.

·
Florist
22,362 Posts
How does the engagement change the number killed?
It lessened the number of children killed. After being engaged by the SRO, the shooter holed up in one classroom and "only" shot the kids in there. If the SRO hadn't engaged (causing the shooter to drop his bag containing more ammo), the shooter likely would have gone from classroom to classroom shooting up all the kids.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Well for starters he dropped all his extra ammo. The gunshots outside also gave them the chance to go into lockdown.

Though having an unlocked door didnt help. Had the door been locked then this wouldnt have happened. As it was, he was only able to get to one classroom.

Anyone know a real timeline? Why was the SRO there where he could confront him, especially if it was in the back? Coincidence or did they see him from far away or what?

·
Florist
22,362 Posts
Oh, by this evening it was already apparent what the competing narratives are. My question is, in the next few news cycles, will the media paint the shooter Salvatore Ramos as black/brown or as white? And how about his LGBTQ status?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It lessened the number of children killed. After being engaged by the SRO, the shooter holed up in one classroom and "only" shot the kids in there. If the SRO hadn't engaged (causing the shooter to drop his bag containing more ammo), the shooter likely would have gone from classroom to classroom shooting up all the kids.
OK My understanding was other officers were in immediate pursuit from the car chase and he would not have been able to go room to room. So whether SRO engaged or not made little difference in outcome. However, I forgot about dropped ammo bag, so if he did not have enough ammo to kill all kids in room, then in that case the engagement saved the not shot kids in that room for sure.

·
Florist
22,362 Posts
I hadn't read or heard that he was under hot/immediate pursuit by anyone from after killing his grandma to when he took the car and drove to the school.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
"Local police received a call about "a crashed vehicle and an individual armed with a rifle making his way into the school," DPS Lt. Chris Olivarez tells "Fox & Friends."

OK updated story. Police were on the way but not in pursuit. At that moment, the SRO was on his/her own.

If only the SRO had a way to auto-lock down all classroom doors.

·
Registered
24,833 Posts
Well he had a radio but when you are engaging a shooter, that takes priority. News was reporting murderer went to one classroom but it was locked so he went to another. So the Q then becomes why wasn't that one on lockdown?

1 - 20 of 476 Posts