Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Permanent Noob
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several newer AR-15's and still need to build an AR-10 (finally...) but I recently was given an old rifle and in doing some web research, I think it's quite the GEM!

Nothing too crazy, but from what I can find it is a pre-ban (SP 49xxx) 1975 SP-1 Colt Sporter. It's complete and functional, and oh boy it's SUPER CLEAN, with the original lower, upper (.223 1/12 barrel(?)) and everything else I think it should have with the sole exception of a stupid mag release 'bullet button' thing. It's got a compartment in the stock, sling loops, bayonet lug, all the cool guy stuff
:dancing:

The only differences I've noticed from my other AR's are theres no brass deflector behind the ejection port, no forward assist, and the trigger disconnector doesn't have the little "L" shape on the rear of it that covers the spring.

Honestly it's my first not-new rifle, I feel like such a noob. I really don't know anything else about it. Is it a Civilian thing? Military? It sure looks the part!
:flag:
It gets attention when I take it anywhere but I have no idea if I should use it or put it in the safe? Are these desirable or just a cool old toy?

It doesn't really matter, I'll keep it and put FMJ on repeat to freak out the GF:drillsgt:.

·
M62/76
12,531 Posts
They’re fine old rifles- I have a NIB one from 1976. “SP-1” means Sporter 1 as it was Colt’s first commercial AR model. Production ran from Dec 63 (approx 30 were mfg’d in Dec) until 1985. The first 500 were marketed as the Colt Comanche, though none of them were marked “Comanche.” Those early Comanche manuals command $500+

Early guns command a premium.

·
Permanent Noob
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I've been going deep down the wormhole.....

Looks like I'll need to get an A-1 style pistol grip to replace the Ergo thing I thought was stock... and a flat trigger guard. It will be a kick-ass tribute piece.

I'm also wondering about the BCG. No FA on the upper but theres grooves for it in the BCG? Looks dang near unused and no markings I can find. Me thinks someone swapped it:(

·
M62/76
12,531 Posts
Colt used the parts they had in hand at the factory when building the SP-1s, so many have the BCG cuts even though they don’t have a forward assist, so it’s technically correct.

Reactions: George Kaplan

·
Permanent Noob
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh! You're a great source of info, thanks!

Is there any markings that should be on it? I hear it needs a "c" but not always? I guess if what you said is correct, it could be anything...

For now I'm having a ton of fun just looking at it, but I have 500rds of 55gr .223 coming. The 5.56 stays in the box:)

·
Registered
21,417 Posts
It's worth nothing..... as a matter of fact it could be dangerous. Please send it to me for safe storage :D

·
Permanent Noob
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know its not fair to talk about it and not post pics:cat: Haha

I'm working on how to edit out the serial #:clown:

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I’ve got an SP1 I bought many many moons ago.
49F05836-DB93-44D0-B2E5-B0699BEB78C6.jpeg
sadly it fell overboard while I was 15 miles offshore. bloop.

Reactions: jimcorbin

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Any ideas as to current value of a box stock SP1?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts