close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

An interesting story and a crazy gift...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JMarch, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

So I am a student teacher interning with a music educator through my university and during a long night of Parent/Teacher conferences the other day a student's father came up to us with a binder. He told a story about how his wife (who died some years ago) had received this from his father, who had got it from a band director in Elkhart Indiana during the 30's or 40's. This band director had acquired it from the director of a professional touring band. We opened the packet to find that it contained a handwritten original, and quite possibly unpublished manuscript by John Philip Sousa!!

I haven't had a chance to look it over extensively, but there are several letters included with the piece that are between one of the previous owners and the director of the President's Own Marine Band that seem to indicate it is not a march, but a kind of genre called "humoresque" that is uniquely American and is sort of a musical comedy. My mentor and I just looked at each other with our mouths hanging open and no idea what to do. I mean, who appraises that kind of thing and what should be done with it? It's obviously historically significant and it's not like we're going to photocopy it and hand it out to the band students (although I am very interested in typing it up with music notation software in hopes of hearing what it sounds like). With the massive amount of experiences that the community here has, I am very interested in seeing if anyone has ideas about where to go from here and grateful for any kind of advice that people may have.
    Thanks!

2. bluenoise

bluenoise

Interesting. Sadly, the first thing that came to my mind as a solution to your question was this: Pawn Stars (sorry).

3. Smashy

Smashy

4. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

No way would I be in a hurry to sell it - that's a REAL piece of history.

While I can't say I'm a fan of Sousa, he's undoubtedly one of the best in his field EVER - so this is kind of like having a Picasso painting or something - and it could easily be in Sousa's own handwriting.

kestrou

5. JMarch

JMarch ♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

We think it might be in his own hand...it has his signature in huge flowery script written at the top in place of a title