Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like MIC holsters. However, the ones I have bought have a flaw in that the flesh on my love handles presses into the magazine release button. Often when I deploy the weapon I discover the magazine is loose! I made an improved version of a MIC holster that address and solves that problem very well. I'm uploading some photos that will help the reader understand what I did.

In the top image you can the back side of the magazine close up. I modified the MIC to press on this firmly.

This next photo shows the corner of extended material and the location of the back side of the magazine release button.
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Tan

Looking down into the improved MIC so you can see how the material will press hard on the button, holding it firm.
Invertebrate Slug Snails and slugs Macro photography Insect

The improved MIC holster in place.
Gun Firearm Trigger Tan Gun accessory

I built this for my Glock 29 and then discovered that it also works just as well on my Glock 27. I suspect it will work on most Glocks.

3,276 Posts
Hows the retention?

If I may... looks like you might wanna reheat and press it again to get a bit more definition and subsequent retention.

What are you pressing it in?

Good job though, way to think on your feet and be proactive!

We did a batch for Christmas gifts for customers that covered a little more than the standard MIC and they were a big hit!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hows the retention?

If I may... looks like you might wanna reheat and press it again to get a bit more definition and subsequent retention.

What are you pressing it in?

Good job though, way to think on your feet and be proactive!

We did a batch for Christmas gifts for customers that covered a little more than the standard MIC and they were a big hit!
Thanks for looking and your thoughts. Actually, it snaps onto the weapon VERY firmly and holds with just bit more retention than other Mics that I have bought.

I used a vacuum food sealer bag and devise to squeeze the Kydex into the gun. If anything, it's too tight and requires a very firm tug to pull the gun free of the holster.

I take it that you make holsters? I looked for MIC like this that I could buy it but could not find one, so I made my own.

A loose magazine when you deploy the weapon is totally unacceptable to me!

I would have much rather bought one than made my own. It took me a long time to get it right.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you running an extended mag release?
No! I have a friend that had one and it caused him accidental unintended releases of his magazine. Fully loaded the full-sized magazine on a Glock 10mm is a bit heavy. It does not take much pressure to release the magazine. After the third time I pulled out the weapon and discovered the magazine was loose, I decided a fix was needed, and came up with my own.

I left you a message on your Facebook page. I'm looking for your store. I have a drawer full of hostlers and don't like any of them. I do not like to open carry. So far the MICs work best for me. The weapon in my Avatar is my CCW.

I'm NOT at all fat; so it's not like I have extra flesh pressing into button. The problem became very apparent as soon soon as started to carry my Glock 29 as pictured. That RMR mounted on the slide provides a second purpose. It rests on my belt, preventing the weapon from slipping down into my pants. The extended magazine hides very well into the small of my back. I like a powerful weapon that punches big holes in living targets. I also carry it in bear country.

I use full-powered ammo. I can handle the recoil and look at it as a good thing.

The problem was not as apparent when I carried a Glock 27, but it was still there.

3,276 Posts
We are a wholesale contractor, so not a retail operation.

But might be able to get something made for you... ;-)

I use our version of the MIC regularly with my 27 and 23, and recommend their product to people frequently, have not had any issues, but that's not a occurrence you wanna have happening for sure.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are a wholesale contractor, so not a retail operation.

But might be able to get something made for you... ;-)

I use our version of the MIC regularly with my 27 and 23, and recommend their product to people frequently, have not had any issues, but that's not a occurrence you wanna have happening for sure.
I think if you used a MIC on a Glock 10mm or .45 caliber you are more likely to see the problem.

Because you mentioned you also carry a 23 and I also have one, I tested my Improved MIC on my Glock 23 and discovered it also fits that weapon. It presses on a slightly different spot on the back side of the magazine release button on the Glock 23, but still gets the job done.

For the little bit of extra Kydex it takes I think that ALL MIC holsters should be made this way. I believe you could advertise this feature and have a competitive advantage.

I would be interested in buying another one if you make one. They a a pain in the butt to make if you are only making one or two.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have a MIC for my G19. I store my loaded G19 with the MIC. I still have not yet found it easier than my G17 with the AIWB kydex holster. (I am not bad mouthing the MIC. I just cant seem to get comfortable with it)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a MIC for my G19. I store my loaded G19 with the MIC. I still have not yet found it easier than my G17 with the AIWB kydex holster. (I am not bad mouthing the MIC. I just cant seem to get comfortable with it)
This demonstrates why we all have so many holsters. There are so many variables, like the size of the weapon, and the way we are shaped. I have custom made AIWB kydex holster for my Glock 29. It was expensive but I prefer my homemade MIC.

The point of my post was not to sing the praises of the MIC holster but to explain how commercially available MIC holsters have a flaw (in my experience), particularly with full sized magazines loaded with heavy rounds. I explained the way I solved the problem.

The Glock 19 is a thinner weapon with smaller lighter rounds than my Glock 29 with the wide slide and heavy bullets. It's not surprising that we had different experiences.

I had problems with MIC holsters slipping down into my paints. Putting a Red Dot sight on the slide solved that problem because the Red Dot sight serves as a stop when it hits my belt.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Somehow you have me quoted with another members words...?
Sorry. I have no idea how that happened? I did attempt to send you a PM. I see what you are talking about. I can't explain that.

Edit----------------
I used "edit" and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like MIC holsters. However, the ones I have bought have a flaw in that the flesh on my love handles presses into the magazine release button. Often when I deploy the weapon I discover the magazine is loose! I made an improved version of a MIC holster that address and solves that problem very well. I'm uploading some photos that will help the reader understand what I did.

In the top image you can the back side of the magazine close up. I modified the MIC to press on this firmly.
View attachment 273611

This next photo shows the corner of extended material and the location of the back side of the magazine release button.
View attachment 273612

Looking down into the improved MIC so you can see how the material will press hard on the button, holding it firm.
View attachment 273613

The improved MIC holster in place.
View attachment 273614

I built this for my Glock 29 and then discovered that it also works just as well on my Glock 27. I suspect it will work on most Glocks.
There is only one MIC Holster. That name is a federally registered trademarked. What you have made is a trigger guard holster, not a MIC. The real Original MIC Holster does not come in contact with the magazine release. There may be a MIC copy that does, but the real MIC does not.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is only one MIC Holster. That name is a federally registered trademarked. What you have made is a trigger guard holster, not a MIC. The real Original MIC Holster does not come in contact with the magazine release. There may be a MIC copy that does, but the real MIC does not.
Thank you. I stand corrected.
"Trigger guard holster." eh? Now I know. The magazine restraint feature is a big improvement when placed on a "trigger guard holster."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.