An encounter from the past...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BurkGlocker, Mar 9, 2010.

1. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

I was reading a thread and someone asked 'have you used your firearm in self-defense'. No, I have not, thankfully, but I have pulled in an assumed home invasion...

I came home one day and noticed a decked out black SUV with 20-something inch rims parked in front of my house. We were in the process of moving out of this house, so I was suspecting that someone noticed the moving van and stuff being moved out of our home.

I came to the front door which was wide open and pulled my sidearm and eased into the front entry. I stepped into the living area and was confronted by one of the largest men I have ever seen carrying a box of my stuff containing video game equipment and the ilk. I pointed my pistol at him and commanded him to the ground. I have never seen this guy before in my life and by the look on his face, he was as surprised as I was. I was yelling at this guy, making some very, uhmmm, rude and suggestive comments about what I was intending to do to him if he didnt comply. He set the box down, and started laying on the deck.. and that's when my sister-in-law stepped out of the hallway. She was yelling at me, pleading with me to put my gun away.

About this time, my wife pulls up in the driveway and comes in the house, wondering wtf is going on. Finally, my wife yells to me to put my gun away. I lower it, and start listening to them. After a few mins of gathering information, I realize that he was helping us move. No one told me that there was going to be help, and I thought that my sister-in-law was out of town at the time, so it didnt even click that she would even be there.

I finally put my gun away, but this guy is still laying on the ground, so I walk over and extend my hand and help him up. The whole time I am being apoligetic and he is telling me that its no problem. I feel bad, and after the day is over I buy the guy a case of beer.

Everytime I see him, he laughs and throws his hands up and tells me "dont shoot", and honestly, it makes me feels a little wrenched inside, knowing that it couldve turned out alot worse.

I'm glad that it didnt turn out for the worse, and I thank God every once in awhile for giving me the patience that He did. Honestly, the whole time that I had 'Mike' in my sights, my adrenaline was on overdrive, my body was on the verge of meltdown and I was sweating like a stuck pig.

But I do have to say... If you're going to make a presence at my home, make sure, please make sure, to announce it first. I hate suprises...

BG :patriot:

2. unit1069

unit1069

Excellent story and a valuable lesson.

3. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Question....

Are you of the mindset that you will shoot to protect your property? Not judging you... just a question.

I ask because from your story it seems that you had no reason to believe anyone you knew was home. Your wife was in fact gone, and you thought your sister in law was out of town. So no one was supposed to be home yet the door was open. You obviously thought something was up.. you unholstered your gun. Wouldn't it be better to call the police and observe from a distance? That is unless you will shoot to protect your property which is legal in Texas and totally within your right.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

The thing is if they will steal your stuff they may kill to keep from being caught!

5. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Agreed, I think the OP was totally in the right... glad it turned out O.K.

6. skud_dusty

skud_dusty

If an uninvited person is in my home I can only assume they are there to do me harm.

That being said..."stuff" is replaceable, life isn't. It's easy to arm-chair quarterback in these situations but I really don't know how I would react.

7. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Totally agree about the assumption they will do you harm. Since you aren't inside yet and haven't really assessed the threat to know what you are up against you have a choice.

1.Put yourself in harms way to defend your property.
    2. Call the police and watch from a safe distance away, ready to defend yourself should the trouble somehow find you.

In scenario number one you are going up against a complete unknown. How many are there? Are they armed?

I see a big way to lose with little upside other than I get to maybe keep my stuff. Now if I thought someone was home.... that's a completely different scenario.

I'm not trying to armchair QB, though it may seem like it. I am providing another way of thinking about this. My response is based on my training and a predetermined way of thinking and response. I believe both are critical for anyone who carries/uses a gun for self defense. Obviously he could have been walking into a no win scenario and it doesn't appear it registered to him that way. Again, that's not a judgement, but an observation meant to help all of us as we think about this stuff.

My response may be different than yours though, because my situation is different. And the laws that govern my state are probably different than yours. I have a family to protect. If I were a single guy and I had a Picassso I saved my whole life for that the insurance company was never going to replace.... maybe I go inside. Maybe it's worth it then.

8. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Totally agree. But how are they going to kill you if they can't see you?

9. BurkGlocker

I thought that the wife might be home, because she left to go back to the house and start cleaning up way before I left (I was still unloading stuff from the car when she left). We had parking at the house both in front (a semi-circular drive, where I usually parked) and in back (a driveway with a garage, where she usually parked). I was coming back from our new home and we didnt have cell phones at the time, so it was one of the reasons of the miscommunication. I wasnt going in there to protect my property, I was going in there to protect my wife. Family is priority number one, property was a distant thought.

I was not going to call and wait for police to show up especially if I thought that there was someone in my home alone with my wife. I didnt care if there was only one or ten in there. There are only a few things that I will put my life on the line for and my family is definately one of them.

And with it being in my now former home, I knew where I could stand, and go without presenting much of a target. My living room and kitchen was a wide open area divided by a bar and was visiable from the entry, so I knew when I stepped in the doorway, that whole area was clear, so it only left the back rooms to be occupied. If anyone was to funnel out of that area it wouldve been a turkey shoot (the only access to the back part of the house would be from the small hallway).

Someone mentioned earlier about if someone is in my home, I can only assume that they are there to do me harm. This is my mindset as well, especially in the middle of the night. If I was to have someone break into my home in the middle of the night, I can only suspect that they are there to harm my family and I, and this is where 'shoot first, ask questions later' would apply. Of course I am not going to just shoot blindly, I would identify my target, and adjust accordingly.

If I am going to be a victim, I am going to at least go out defending myself. How many people have been killed during robberies, even after they comply with the assailants? You hear about it all the time on the news, in the paper. Just because you do what they say doesnt mean that they arent going to get a wild hair up their rear and decided to add murder to their repetoire.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I just thought that I would share it knowing that there is always going to be the 'you coulda, shoulda, woulda'. I wanted to hear it. But that has to be one of the scariest moments of my life. Would I do it again if the situation ever presented itself? Yes.. Yes I would...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  10. BurkGlocker

This is where alot of 'what if' scenarios start panning out. What if they wouldve parked in the back instead, and had been there to steal my stuff? What if I wouldve just moseyed right into the house, and possibly right into the lions den, and not even realized that they were there. And then being confronted by a man twice my size (me being 5'11" 200 lbs and him being 6'9" and about 400 lbs, and we're not talking about a fat 400 either, this man could bench a Volkswagon if he wanted to). Yes, I do think that I acted accordingly. I believe that if it had been the other way around, there wouldve been someone that couldve died that day. Even talking about it now, it still gets the ticker pumping. I hope and pray that I am never put in that situation ever, ever again. My father told me when I was young, "Son, dont ever point your gun at something that youre not willing to eat or kill in fear of your life." This coming from a man who spent three tours in the bush. I still hang onto those and many of his words to this day...

11. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Your father was a wise man. Again, not trying to QB what you did. Given what you say now about you thinking your wife could have been home... I would have done the same thing.

12. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

I hope y'all sat down and discussed the importance of COMMUNICATION. Wow! Glad nothing tragic happened.

13. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

+1 on that.

Personally, I'd have probably called the cops and let them deal with it, but hindsight is 20/20, I wasn't there, and I can't fault you for what you did.