close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

an alcohol content question....

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 97guns, May 8, 2006.

1. 97guns

97guns

what would be the better buy for purely catching a buzz for 9.99 - a 750 ml bottle of bacardi rum/jim beam wiskey or a 12 pack of heinekin or other beer at around 5% alch/vol.

2. General Sherman

General Sherman

Let me try to answer.

12 cans of beer at 12 ounces each is 144 ounces, times five percent alcohol is 7.2 ounces of pure alcohol.

750 ml of booze at 40 percent alcohol is about 300ml of pure alcohol. That is about 9 or 10 ounces of alcohol, which is more than the beer.

But most beer is really less than 5 percent alcohol. It is more like 3 or 4 percent.
    Some booze is not 40 percent (80 proof). Jack Daniels is now 76 proof. :frown:

Likewise, beer is so bloating one cannot consume as much alcohol as fast as with booze.

Thru extensive research, long hours into the night, I have determined with scientific accuracy that both can do the job for $9.99.:)

3. noway

noway

Good comparison but also remember with liquers and mixed drinks, the absorption is diferent than for beers.

4. 97guns

97guns

thanks, i didnt know how to figure the proof/% of the booze or i could have done the math myself - maybee.

5. 97guns

97guns

BTW i dont drink any beer thats less than 5%, it really doesn't work for me anymore. the 8% stuff has much better value.

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

Most professional alcoholics drink vodka. Fast, efficient, no waste products. Gets the job done. :upeyes:

7. HalfMoon

HalfMoon

I like beer.

:)
    One of mine before the boil:

[​IMG]

Fav commercial, Bigfoot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 97guns

97guns

how's the taste on that big foot ale, pretty good or loike a nasty wino malt?

9. HalfMoon

HalfMoon

Well, it's a BarleyWine style, so you have to like big malty beers to like it. It only comes out one time a year, so I usually drive up to Chico to the brewery and stock up.

If you want to try a BarleyWine that is available year round, checkout Anchor Brewing's "Old FogHorn" or Rogue's "Old Crustacean".

10. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

11. 97guns

97guns

im scared, a few months ago i really felt like getting hammered so i picked up 2 40 ouncers of ST. IDES malt's. i figured that if they were good enough to give the local wino's a buzz that it would definatley work on me, they were the nastiest tasing stuff ive ever had but it did do the trick. i guess when is see a wino drinking something it really means that it has the power but not the taste. ive also seen them drinking steel reserves so that too must be powerfull horibly tasting stuff ......

12. HalfMoon

HalfMoon

Yeah, that's the bottom of the barrel "beer", usually marketed as Malt Liquor.

If it comes in a "40", RUN! ;)

13. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I'd take the 12 pack anyday of the week. I guess I have no problem with bloating slamming a 12er in a few hours. And yes it will still get me superdrunk.

14. 97guns

97guns

im working on my 3rd 24 ouncer hurricane high gravity @ 8.1% right now and am feelin pretty good

15. GreatWhiteShark

GreatWhiteShark

Man, i thought i was the only one who not only knew about, but thoroughly enjoyed Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale.!! I raise my stein in a toast to you, a true gentlemen and a scholar!!

A few times i have brought some friends of mine a sixer of the bigfoot. Not sure what they were expecting, but it was mixed reviews.

Those that liked their fizzy yellow massed produced commercial piss, said it was chewy and tasted like it wasnt 'done yet.'

Those that liked and appreciated quality products loved it. Constantly thanking me in my decision to broaden their horizons in what a fine beer consisted of.

I prefer strong drink, and the barley wine delivers. Good stuff on a cold day, or a hot day, well damn even on a thursday. Great with a good dinner. That little stock pile you got going gives me a chubby. The only place that i can find it is at a local grocer mart, unfortunately they only carry six packs in stock. Im sippin on some Bacardi gold right now, but id gladly trade it for the hairy beast that roams the pacific northwest mountains.....

Take it easy.

16. HalfMoon

HalfMoon

GreatWhite:

Cheers!

They only sell it at one Grocery store and a Beer/Wine chain here. Runs about $9 a 6 pack. I take a 3 hour or so drive to Chico to the Brewery and get it by the case for $22, a good savings whan you buy quantity.

I usually pick up 8-10 cases each year, more than enough for drinking, and allows me to save some for aging. I've got some in teh garage fridge from the 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and now 2006 batches in there.

I did a taste test a couple weeks ago and the 2002 has evolved into something way better than it was, it completely blows the 2006 batch away.

17. 97guns

97guns

hey halfmoon im up here in norcal also and my local albertsons sells the stuff. it goes on sale sometimes with the other sierra nevada for around $5.99, i guess ill give it a try next time it does. i deliver for a budweiser distributer and we distribute sierra nevada products as well and the pale ale sells probably 20-1 over the bigfoot.

18. Sam White

Sam White I miss you bud Silver Member

Back when they didn't have Sierra Nevada around here, I drove up to St. Paul and bought a bunch of Big Foot (2001). I left a bunch of it sitting in my basement until this last winter. My basement is unfinished, so I can leave homebrew and other beer down there at 52-53 degrees forever. That last Big Foot was amazing after sitting down there for five years.

19. OEF_VET

OEF_VET

Just do what I used to do when I was a young drunk: grab a fifth of El Toro tequila and chug the thing in one gulp. I assure you that you WILL be drunk in less than five minutes.

20. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

That Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale is some good stuff, and has a kick, too. Had a bottle the other day after being out in the sun all day (dehydrated), very tired and had only eaten a bagel a couple hours earlier. Got a good buzz going pretty quickly. Hmm, think it's time for another or two.