An Actual Study of Msk Effectiveness

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Khufu, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

How are the maskers going to convince this scam to get people to wear a niqab when it is shown that the face coverings actually are WORSE than nothing?

https://kdvr.com/news/researchers-created-a-test-to-determine-which-masks-are-the-least-effective/

"
    Public health experts have spent months emphasizing that masks are one of the most effective tools to help fight the pandemic, and many US states have now introduced some kind of mask requirement.

But when testing their effectiveness, researchers discovered that some masks are quite literally useless."

"Neck fleeces, also called gaiter masks and often used by runners, were the least effective. In fact, wearing a fleece mask resulted in a higher number of respiratory droplets because the material seemed to break down larger droplets into smaller particles that are more easily carried away with air."

"“We were extremely surprised to find that the number of particles measured with the fleece actually exceeded the number of particles measured without wearing any mask,”

But in other news, there is news that supports the masks effectiveness.

https://newsone.com/3927314/coronavirus-face-masks-muslim-women-react/

"This is new terrain for many, who find themselves unable to recognize neighbors and are unsure how to engage socially without using facial expressions.

But not for Muslim women who wear the niqab, or Islamic face veil. Suddenly, these women – who are often received in the West with open hostility for covering their faces – look a lot more like everyone else."

Upgrayedd and Westexas like this.
  2. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Lol the last part.

Westexas likes this.

3. rock_castle

rock_castle Enjoys liberal temper tantrums & hissy fits

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Only a couple masks were shown not to work well. The others worked good. Did you even read the article?

And for the record, I'm not a "mask nazi" at all. I don’t give two ****s either way, but I also don't ignore facts to support my opinion on something... I'm also not obsessed with masks like so many of you seem to be. It's all some of you talk about (especially the "Anti-Maskers")....

jame, MaxB, paynter2 and 11 others like this.
  5. Sharkey

Sharkey

TacitMesa to the white courtesy phone

6. R*E

R*E

This is why I’m wearing a mask: Two covid positive stylists cut hair on 139!clients at a Great Clips. Stylists and clients wore masks. Zero transmission.

2DDCE271-1C4C-46C5-9953-274B75A102B4.jpeg

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

PS I’m not a mask nazi, I’m a guy who doesn’t want to get sick nor do I want to spread it at work or at home.

tacit mesa and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

Victimhood.

Joshhtn likes this.
  8. Dave514

Dave514

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    jame and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  9. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

953CEFE0-CB93-4B36-8BEA-B20C52E09DC9.jpeg

10. Lil

Lil

There are facial coverings and there are masks. The context here is healthcare, not a welding shop. Therefore the verbiage is specific. Neck fleece, bandana, Bounty are not masks.

Some masks have proven to be very effective, such as the N95. Problem is that we have boatloads of masks from jina labeled 'N95' in name only. The other problem is one of rigorous, critical thinking involving the ability to separate fact from fiction.

[​IMG]

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

Not wearing a fleece mask in FL. :)

12. Westexas

Westexas

Exactly. Actual NIOSH rated respirators are good protection.

N95<N99<P100. This is the respirator hierarchy for particulate filters. The P100 is over 1,600 times more efficient than an N95. Unlike N95’s, P100’s are still readily available.

Edit: The P100 is actually 166 times more efficient than an N95.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    tacit mesa, Mr Meeseeks and nursetim like this.
  13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Your article was interesting...

"We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets (see Supplementary Fig. S5), which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case. Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive. Furthermore, the performance of the valved N95 mask is likely affected by the exhalation valve, which opens for strong outwards airflow. While the valve does not compromise the protection of the wearer, it can decrease protection of persons surrounding the wearer. In comparison, the performance of the fitted, non-valved N95 mask was far superior."

14. Dave514

Dave514

That "article" is the actual study.

Your dishonest presentation that masks are ineffective is loathsomely dishonest but not surprising. I'm glad you stepped in it, again, in front of everyone. You cannot be trusted.

But keep cherry picking to pretend your assertion was correct.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    jame, MaxB, tacit mesa and 4 others like this.
  15. slym2none

slym2none

16. racerford

racerford

It is an interesting article within its limitations. What it does not show is the efficacy of reducing Covid-19 infections. One can make assumptions that it does, but it does not prove it. We don't know what viral loading will result in an infection (how many viral particles). We don't know the saturation loading for Covid-19 (the number of viral particles above which the chance of infection does not a statistically significant amount). Also it does not detect droplets smaller than the limitations of the camera used. Can droplets of the smaller size transmit a sufficient viral load to cause an infection. If so, then it really has not measure the efficacy of the mask against SARS-Cov-2.

So for HCQ you guys demand double blind peer review studies across a large sample. But for a mask study, an analog study, with limitations of unknown significance, is conclusive proof that masks of the type required by public mandate significantly reduces transmission, as typically worn, at typical interpersonal distances, encountered in public.

The double standard is typical.

A separate question. What is the difference in transmission risk between a person, without Covid-19, wearing an N-95 and wearing no mask?

In an area where 99.8% of the people don't have Covid-19, and those that do are required to quarantine. What is the risk of effective transmission from a random person you pass within 3 feet of for 3 seconds? First without a mask, and then with a mask with a 50% efficacy? Please submit your work. At that rate, how many people should you put out of work to reduce that that number by 50%?

Do any of you understand risk management? Statistics? Extending lives cost money. Notice I didn't say saving, we will all die. From a risk management, or statistical perspective, the statistical benefit of doing something should exceed the statistical cost in perpetuity. Yes, I know that when it is your child, you are will to spend any of amount of other people's money to save them, maybe all of your own money, and more. That is not how public policy should be set. For the cost to the Covid-19 response in the US so far, we could have prevented every person who will starve to death globally for the next 10 years (or longer, about 30 million people over that time frame) from starvation. Are Covid-19 deaths more important than starvation deaths?

I am all for people wearing masks if they want to. But the overall response has been over the top for what we are actually facing. We took drastic actions well before we had sufficient data to impact the US economy in the way we did.

People will say wearing masks does not have a cost. Of course it does. Masks cost money. Masks interfere with communication. If wearing masks has no negative impact, why do so many laws against wearing masks across the US. We can't have passed laws for no reason right?

elkhart, Sharkey, paynter2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Dave514

Dave514

We understand that the conclusion of this study was not that 'Masks Are Useless.'

jame and Westexas like this.
  18. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

It's effective in covering my manly beard so the beta boys feel better about their lint patches..

19. racerford

racerford

Does it conclude that the benefit of each mask type, as worn, by the general public, in public, exceeds their cost?

Well there have been plenty of studies that have shown that HCQ is not worthless. So that means we should all take it?

What makes this a good study, if no actionable cost/benefit has been performed?

I can produce a study that shows a lambskin condom can hold BBs. How does that show that they can be used to prevent pregnancy and STDs?

The double standard continues.

20. Dave514

Dave514

I think this whole thread went over your head. The OP made a false assertion about what the study said. People pointed out how it was false. I don't think anyone is debating whether or not what it actually said is without refutation. Or any of that other stuff.

It seems like you had a lot you wanted to say, which most probably agree with on principle, but you just picked the closest thread you could find on the subject and flopped.