close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Amsoil opinions?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by picturethis, Feb 11, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

Anyone use this in their vehicle. If so, how do you like it? I am thinking of making the switch to Amsoil coming up, but I am trying to get some real world opinions first. It's all well and good what they say on their website, but I want to get some opinions that don't have any bias.

2. k-lo

k-lo

I use Amsoil 10W-30 on my supercharged S2000 and as far as I can recall it's the only oil that I used that stayed golden brown and consistent after 5000 miles because of it's higher temperature burning point. Mobil 1 10W-30 turned super black and thined out after 4000 miles. After switching, and running at least 200 miles, I noticed a much smoother engine during idle, acceleration. And when your motor is running smooth you can feel better power (butt dyno) :) My gas mileage improved a little but still sucks because of the S/C. It's a little more expensive but the cost is ofset by the longer change intervals. In normal use they state you can go up to 25,000 miles (15,000 for turbo or supercharged). I would't really follow 15,000 as that's extreme. I change at 7500 miles. Which is still good considering that more than 2 regular oil change intervals. I'm an Amsoil person for life.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

At $10 a quart, they are awful proud of their oil. I won't begrudge anybody for wanting to put the best in their vehicle if they can afford it. I use Castrol full synthetic and am pleased with the results. YMMV.

4. picturethis

picturethis

k-lo that sounds great! I own a 99 Civic Si, which is a high revving car as I am sure you know. I will definitely look into it. Any suggestion on which Amsoil I should go with for my NA daily driver? It has 88k on it, and I drive it like a grandma. I am not one of those Honda owners who thinks he owns a race car, since it's a 1.6L car with no torque and I know it. :)

5. goldenlight

goldenlight

For more information on oil than you probably need or want:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

It's where people obsessed with oil hang out. You have to register to post, like GT.

6. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

Fantastic stuff, in all my vehicles ....

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

even at 10.00 a quart if you also use their extended life filter ( 19.00) you are good for 25k miles or one year whichever comes first.

That equals about 8 oil changes with other oils.

So which is the bargain now?

8. picturethis

picturethis

In my opinion I'd rather pay a few dollars more per quart to get the best protection available. I can find a new motor for my car for ~$1,000, but when it comes to a fully built motor with $15k into it, I would be very anal about which oil I used. I have heard very good things about Amsoil. The high price is one of the only knocks I have heard on it. I also have read something about the detergents they use being an issue for some, but I don't have any documented proof of it so I am not sure if it is actually an issue.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

If you are going to change your oil every 3K miles don't waste your money on high priced synthetics.

Use something like Castrol GTX high mileage.

If you are willing to buy the extended life filter from Amsoil and go 15K to 25K between oil changes then the Amsoil is worth it.

10. k-lo

k-lo

It's actually $8.70 per quart oh plus tax so that's $10 LOL :wavey:
    I'd go with 5W-30 i think that's what Honda recommends for your SI. If you drive it normally 5W-30 is best. LOL @ torque. The scream of a B16 motor at 9000rpm is music.

11. picturethis

picturethis

So would that 5w-30 with the extended life oil filter really be good for a year of daily driving? I probably only even hit VTEC a few times per week, and I baby the car. I hate changing my oil, and I wanna protect my b16a2 now that it's closing in on 100k miles.

12. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Amsoil or Schaffers. Both good oil.

Royal purple, if you're a high roller.

13. k-lo

k-lo

I would say a definite yes. But that doesn't mean you can just set it and forget it until next year, make sure you still check your oil levels and oil condition regularly moreso if you have higher mileage. Good luck and happy VTECing. :wavey:

14. picturethis

picturethis

Thanks a lot for the help! I would consider 88k for a car made in August of 99 to be fairly low mileage (under 9k miles per year on average) and it's in great shape. I don't burn, leak or use even 1/2 a quart over 3k miles using conventional oil. Amsoil doesn't cause leaks when switching to it from conventional oil like some full synthetics do, does it? If not, then I am 100% set on buying some this weekend!

15. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Interesting.

I can only assume Amsoil has done extensive oil analysis testing of element/contaminant/condition after 25K intervals and beyond. Is there any data showing side by side results with one side showing Amsoil products @ 25K and one side showing either organic or other brand synthetic oils @ 25K with more frequent change intervals?

Does Amsoil offer extended interval products for extreme duty, such as off road/construction or multiple start/stop such as courier or cab?

16. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

I have used it for over 20 years. Nothing but Amsoil. Have also used it in giant scale model airplanes at 100 to 1 at 8000 rpm. That is what made a believer out of me....

17. picturethis

picturethis

Unsure of that, but I know my buddy uses an Amsoil product in his Expedition that he drives every day, as well as uses as a tow vehicle to pull his 4 wheelers and motorcycles. He swears by it.

18. schild

schild

When my "05 Ranger 4x4 was new at 1000 miles I changed the engine oil, transmission, transfer case, and differentials to Amsoil products. I also use Amsoil products in my Toyota Rav, ZTR Toro mower, snowblower, roto-tiller, chainsaw, weedwacker, and leaf blower.

19. k-lo

k-lo

You'll be fine with the switch 88K is near the switch threshold but if you say the condition of your motor is good then you won't get into problems.

20. picturethis

picturethis

It's nice to have peace of mine for when I bring it up to 9k rpm on occasion. Thanks for the help, k-lo!