Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you'd all find this interesting. Came in an email to me:

A friends recent e-mail to me. This is what is coming [ Law effective 1/15/2014].

This past weekend, I was talking to an assistant manager of the Latham Wal-Mart. He was at the skating rink with his family. I asked him how Wal-Mart is going to handle background checks on ammo? He told me he has heard that as of 1/14 all Wal-Marts in New York will no longer be selling ammunition. He told me top management feels they don't have the time nor are they willing to hire the extra people it would take to do the checks every time someone wanted to by a box of ammo. With the extra time and help costs, plus the headache of it all it is just easier to get out of the ammo business in NY. The same way other state Wal-Mart's sell high cap mags and AR-15's. and of course here they don't.

Also one of my employees was in American Shooter Supply on Central Avenue to get some 30/06 ammo. He asked the clerk when the background checks will begin on ammo? The clerk replied, they will never start on ammo here. As of 1/14 all of Brian Olsen's stores will be out of the ammo business. The same reason was given as Wal-Mart. They would have to hire someone in each store just to handle ammo background checks. Not in the cards......no money to be made they claim.

When are the rest of us gun owners going to smarten up and become one issue, 2nd Amendment, voters? Wait until the rest of the passive NY gun owners discover they can't find ammo anywhere in NY. I bet the places that are willing to do background checks will be gouging on prices to make up the difference.

·
Banned
16,041 Posts

A friends recent e-mail to me. This is what is coming [ Law effective 1/15/2014].

This past weekend, I was talking to an assistant manager of the Latham Wal-Mart. He was at the skating rink with his family. I asked him how Wal-Mart is going to handle background checks on ammo? He told me he has heard that as of 1/14 all Wal-Marts in New York will no longer be selling ammunition. He told me top management feels they don't have the time nor are they willing to hire the extra people it would take to do the checks every time someone wanted to by a box of ammo. With the extra time and help costs, plus the headache of it all it is just easier to get out of the ammo business in NY. The same way other state Wal-Mart's sell high cap mags and AR-15's. and of course here they don't.

Also one of my employees was in American Shooter Supply on Central Avenue to get some 30/06 ammo. He asked the clerk when the background checks will begin on ammo? The clerk replied, they will never start on ammo here. As of 1/14 all of Brian Olsen's stores will be out of the ammo business. The same reason was given as Wal-Mart. They would have to hire someone in each store just to handle ammo background checks. Not in the cards......no money to be made they claim.

When are the rest of us gun owners going to smarten up and become one issue, 2nd Amendment, voters? Wait until the rest of the passive NY gun owners discover they can't find ammo anywhere in NY. I bet the places that are willing to do background checks will be gouging on prices to make up the difference.
That was exactly what the Anti's were counting on when they formulated the law. SJ 40

·
Banned
1,406 Posts

Well that's good. That means criminals won't be able to obtain ammo either, right? :rofl:

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
THis is the kind of crap that makes reloading an even more valuable skill. It's going to happen here in kommifornia too.

·
Registered
33,064 Posts
THis is the kind of crap that makes reloading an even more valuable skill. It's going to happen here in kommifornia too.
Not sure if reloading components will be sold through mail order. Not sure if they will be allowed without background checks.

I don't reload, but I have heard questions.

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
Not sure if reloading components will be sold through mail order. Not sure if they will be allowed without background checks.

I don't reload, but I have heard questions.
All true, but as long as you have primers, you are good to go, so start hoarding now. Bullets I can make, powder I can scrounge, but gotta have primers.

·
Banned
6,280 Posts
...When are the rest of us gun owners going to smarten up and become one issue, 2nd Amendment, voters? Wait until the rest of the passive NY gun owners discover they can't find ammo anywhere in NY. I bet the places that are willing to do background checks will be gouging on prices to make up the difference.

You're outnumbered in NY. Time to bail. :wavey:

·
Registered
30,944 Posts
Another "run" on ammo, huh?

Or, a "continuing" run, I guess I ought to say. ;)

Understandable, though, for folks who live in an affected state.

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
Another "run" on ammo, huh?

Or, a "continuing" run, I guess I ought to say. ;)

Understandable, though, for folks who live in an affected state.
That's infected areas.:wow:

·
Registered
30,944 Posts
That's infected areas.:wow:
:rofl:

Good one. ;)

Personally, once I'd read the Weapon Shops of Isher as a young man, I realized that it was possible that at some point in my lifetime we'd probably see something similar in restrictions on civilian-owned weapons (and ammunition). And bear in mind that AE van Vogt's premise seemed to involve a libertarian theme on some level.

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK, now they're gonna have to make another Smokey & the Bandit movie- instead of going for Coors, it will be ammo

·
Registered
269 Posts
WOWWWWWWW made my eyes bleed while reading, background checks just to buy ammo and of course only the "honest citizens" will be affected. I'm sure there is a clause for LE or military but for poor uncle Joe he has to suffer.

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
WOWWWWWWW made my eyes bleed while reading, background checks just to buy ammo and of course only the "honest citizens" will be affected. I'm sure there is a clause for LE or military but for poor uncle Joe he has to suffer.
This sort of harassment is NOT intended to curb crime. Sure they say so, but reality, it's just t make it harder to be a law abiding gun owner. It's one reason I reload, to be more self reliant, but one still has to buy primers & powder. Fortunately, you can load just about anything into a handgun & get a decent result. Just gotta have those primers.:whistling:

·
Banned
6,280 Posts
ChiefWPD, why in the Hell do you live in that Liberal cesspool of a state? You're retired. If I were you I'd be on the first thing smokin' out of that schithole. NY is a lost cause due to the Libs. It ain't ever comin' back in our lifetime. No way. No how. :wavey:

·
Rational
15,141 Posts
May be time to go on another ammo run.

If we ever have to background check ammo in NYS, I'm buying all my ammo out of state.
Bro, if you're talking Online Sales, I don't think you can; as many online dealers won't sell to NY residents. You'll have to actually drive out of state to make a purchase. Seems like a huge PITA to me.

Mark my words: if Washington State ever goes this route, I'm packing up and moving. It's that simple. I'm packing up my cat, my books, my magazines, my guns, and I'm moving. Might move to Idaho or Montana. I'd move to Arizona, if it wasn't for the heat and the Illegals.

·
Registered
33,064 Posts
Not online, but driving out of state and buying a few cases at a time.

People will be organized, making ammo runs.

Ever been in NY on the 4th of July? Everybody is lighting off firecrackers. And guess what, they are illegal in NY. Yet everybody has them.

With ammo, I'm not even talking about doing anything illegal, just picking up a bunch whenever out of state :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts