close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ammo Suggestions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by R.TOKER, Jun 10, 2004.

1. R.TOKER

R.TOKER

I will be shooting my first GSSF match in Marietta , Oh on July 31 - Aug. 1 . I will be shooting a G21 and G30. What factory ammo would you recommend?? Thanks in advance.

2. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

I personally use CCI Blazer ammo exclusively. YMMV.

gman67

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Winchester White Box (not Win-Clean), American Eagle by Federal and CCI Blazer are all excellent choices. Suggest you avoid Wolff.

4. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Good advice.

5. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

If you can find the Win White box in 185 grain bullet, that would be a good thing!

6. fmule68

fmule68

R.TOKER
    I'd use anything but Blazer. I doubt anyone good would use it in a competition. There are dozens of other brands that use a brass case to reload.

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

What's your definition of good?

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well, I wouldn't use Blazer. White box or American Eagle are both good choices in my opinion.

9. fmule68

fmule68

By looking at the gssfonline past results, anyone who hits all the plates and finishes in the top 10. That will be my goal.

10. pcormier

pcormier

I just picked up some Winchester 185 gn WinClean rounds. $14/50cnt box at Galyans. I don't remember the velocity, but the IPSC power factor turns out to be about 168 or so. I expect less recoil and muzzle flip. I'll be using them in Peublo this weekend, so I don't have any feedback yet.

I was using 230 gn Winchester White Box Value packs from Wal-mart. The powerfactor there was like 192. Way over the 165 minimum for 'major.'

11. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Then I guess I can be considered as good by your definition. Although I consider myself to be somewhere between fair and not shooting at the dirt. Anyway, I've used Blazer for practice rounds and they've done fine for me. I wouldn't have any aversion to using them in a GSSF match either. The main reason I don't is because GSSF runs lost brass matches with the RO's getting the brass. With that said, I'm not a reloader either. My goal is to make master class using the cheapest junk that I can afford to shoot! ;f

12. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I was fortunate to shoot the openning of Marietta and found it quite refreshing. I found myself looking for more ammo then I had taken...I decided to shoot some more categories and also experienced a re-shoot...anyway to the point there is a WalMart in Marietta and they do carry their valuepacks....I bought a pack for my .40 and I was pleasantly surprised at the perceived lack of difference to my reloads...I highly recommend them...by the way GoodLuck ;f

13. Joe Mamma

Joe Mamma

Then I would be considered "good". I am consistently a top 10 finisher in amateur civillian, and consistently score under 100. I've never left a plate standing. I've shoot Blazer 115gr 9mm as my match and practice ammo.

In Waldorf, MD, a few weeks ago, I was fortunate to be part of the winning team. We were called "Team Blazer" for a reason. All of us love Blazer. :)

Joe Mamma

14. gary newport

gary newport

Well, I don't quite meet your definition of "good", since I only finished 20th in Amateur-Civilian at last year's Richmond, CA GSSF match, while knocking down all my plates. However, it was my first GSSF match--in fact, my first pistol competition of any kind--and I was using full-power 230 grain Blazer hardball in my G21.

More to the point, I've found Blazer .45 ammo to be highly reliable and accurate. I've found Blazer 9mm to be highly reliable, but less accurate than Federal American Eagle 147 grain truncated-cone FMJ. Sadly, the latter is more expensive. I am going to try the similar Winchester USA 147 grainers soon (anyone shot these?), and retry the Blazer--I do like to save money! By the way, I am also looking to give the Win USA 185 grain TCs a try for possible use in GSSF with my G30. Anyone have any experience with this ammo in a G30? Also, I think Remington has a similar 185 grain load; has anyone tried this in a G30?

15. Joe Mamma

Joe Mamma

I've used the Federal American Eagle 147 flat nose rounds. They recoil much less than the Blazer 115 fmj but, they were noticeably less accurate in my G17 (about 4" groups versus about 2" groups at 25yrds with a rest). But, I think the opposite is true of my friend who has a G17 with a very close serial number to mine. My HK USP also shoots the Fed Amer Eagle flat noses 147's more acurrately than the CCI 115 fmj's. I decided just to deal with the higher recoil of Blazer 115, and get the most accurate ammo which is also the lowest priced. GSSF is really a game of accuracy, in my opinion.

The same friend I mentioned above also tried Winchester white box 147 flat nose ammo. It was recently chrono'd (in his gun) at a match and the velocity was significantly higher than the Federal Amer Eagle 147gr flat noses (out of his gun). I don't remember the speeds (and they were on different days) but, I remember the difference was significant. So, all else being equal, I guess the Winchesters recoil a litle more than the Fed/Amer Eagles.

With regards to G30 ammo, my opinion is that almost always, 230 gr factory ammo will recoil less than factory 185 gr ammo. So, I tend to stay away from 185 gr. But, I don't know about accuracy. I guess it depends on the gun.

Joe Mamma

16. gary newport

gary newport

Thanks for the info, Joe! I guess its just a matter of shoot-and-try until you find something that works. Kinda like a .22, I guess. ;c

17. GTA

GTA

Best deal on ammo is Walmart, bar none. You can get the 115gr 9mm Winchester target loads in 100 round boxes for about $11.00. I've also shot the 230gr .45ACP 100 round ($22.00 or so) in my G30 and both experiences are a smooth, light, and accurate. The .40 caliber rounds in 100 go for around $16.00. Blazer and UMC are a little too snappy for competition shooting in my opinion. Give them a try!!^c