Glock Talk banner

Ammo storage?

5484 Views 30 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  ithaca_deerslayer
Anybody have a dedicated ammo storage cabinet? I'm thinking about getting a lockable cabinet to keep my bulk ammo in. The gun safe can't nearly hold it all. Just wondered if anyone had a particular model they like.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· U S Veteran
2,472 Posts
I keep my ammo in plastic ammo boxes in my garage.

· Registered
16,882 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 20 foot sea/land shipping container; one of them can hold a substantial number of .30/.50/ and 20mm ammo cans filled with various types of ammuntion and stiil be compact enough to fit in most decent sized yards and garages. :cool:

· Registered
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cabinet will be in my air conditioned home, no humidity issues. I only need to store between 10-20k rounds so a shipping container is not necessary. I can always just stack it in a corner, but I thought a lockable cabinet would be nice.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Most of those locking metal cabinets are not going to really keep many people out, but its better than nothing I guess.

I can't give an immediate recommendation, but you can be creative as long as the container will support the weight, it doesn't have to be a gun type cabinet. Even a locking file cabinet would work, as long as the slides can handle the weight. As a bonus they are a little more discrete. After all which would you break into, something that screams guns or worthless papers?

· Registered
30,515 Posts
Anybody have a dedicated ammo storage cabinet?
I use Steel ammo cans. Mostly 50 cal cans. Some bigger and some 30 cal cans.

I only need to store between 10-20k rounds
For 20,000 rounds of loose pistol ammo you should only need about 15 cans. They could stack most anywhere or can be spread out.
Factory boxed ammo takes up considerably more space.

Or you could get the bigger steel cans but once you fill these up you can forget about moving it.

· Registered
493 Posts
ditto.
GI ammo cans (.30's & .50's) then stack them in an old "stack on" gun locker.
At least it keeps the grand kids out.
I label the outside of each can so there's no guessing what's in it.
Gets hard to lift the .50's when it's full of .45acp though.
I try to keep the least used stuff at the bottom.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
I use Steel ammo cans. Mostly 50 cal cans. Some bigger and some 30 cal cans.

For 20,000 rounds of loose pistol ammo you should only need about 15 cans. They could stack most anywhere or can be spread out.
Factory boxed ammo takes up considerably more space.

Or you could get the bigger steel cans but once you fill these up you can forget about moving it.

I could've posted that pic, shame being I don't reload and keep all my stuff in the original boxes. However, second the idea that it needs to be in steel ammo cans, with the addition of silica packets if you live in a high humidity area.

I'll bet I have more 17HMR, though......

· Registered
44 Posts
I don't any where near what some of you guys have, but I just keep mine in a locked tool chest. Relatively inexpensive and has many different uses.

· Stop the steal!
21,057 Posts
Military ammo cans for me, too......

12 M2A1 50 CAL for about $200....buy once, cry once.....set for life. :supergrin:

Once you start using these cans, you find other uses for them around the reloading bench, shop, home, garage, etc. They are sure handy to have......:cool:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=480790519

· Stop the steal!
21,057 Posts
So, the answe I'm getting is NO.
No one has an ammo cabinet.
My first gun safe was an inexpensive Stack-On. After I purchased a better gun safe, I converted it into ammo storage, and added some wooden shelves. I suppose you could do something similar.

· Registered
11,484 Posts
I keep my defensive ammo in plastic ammo boxes from Walmart. Still in original packaging. Steel cans are IMO too much extra weight, and I don't ship ammo or transport it in a war zone, so don't need that kind of durability.

Training ammo I keep, also in original packaging, just stacked in the closet for me to grab some on my way to the range.

Just me and my wife in our loft, so don't have to worry about kids or anyone else getting into it.

· Registered
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My first gun safe was an inexpensive Stack-On. After I purchased a better gun safe, I converted it into ammo storage, and added some wooden shelves. I suppose you could do something similar.

I see some custom shelving in there. I thought about turning an old stack-on gun cabinet into an ammo cabinet. A buddy has a stack-on I could get cheap, but I think converting it would be a hassle. Doing woodwork in my apartment is a little hard. Especially since my only tools are gun tools. Maybe I can get the shelves cut at home depot or something.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.