Ammo storage in Florida's humidity

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by ricky, Jun 21, 2017.

1. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

i have a question for all of you, I live in south Florida and have some ammo cans and was wondering what your experiences have been in using them in our very humid climate?

I am planning on storing some can in the garage which is not climate controlled and you know how it gets in there. My question is if anyone here has/is doing this and what their experiences are and if they have suggestions?

I was thinking of loading them up in the house and then start putting some outside, but not sure if to use desiccant or is that overkill?

Where would I get some desiccant and what kind?

Thanks for any help!!

2. deathpriest

deathpriest

I am from Florida. I have a few thousand rounds in ammo cans for years and they shoot just fine. Rimfire and centerfire both. Some in the garage, some in the house. I have some disecant emvelopes I got from amaz... I beleive these are not needed but, it was just a little self induced false safety precaution.

mike from st pe likes this.

3. DaverZ

DaverZ

I have a bucket of Damp Rid in my safe that does a good job and a big bag of refills are relatively cheap.That would probably work well in your situation.

4. DaverZ

DaverZ

I should add that you have to drain the water periodically and refill the basket

5. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have Metal Ammo cans, and plastic, all with seals. No problems so far, but I keep them inside not in the Garage.
    My asked if they could be put in the garage, I said no way.
    I need to get some more rounds of all calibers, both Handguns, and long guns. I have some for all my long guns, but not enough. I would like to get a couple of cases, for each one.
    Need to convert the extra bedroom to a Ammo Storage Room.