GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I'm just waiting. My practice ammo will last me another year if I stretch it.

I'll let others pay 80 cents to $1+ per round for target ammo.
Hopefully that works out for you. You might be able to restock at reasonable prices in a year or prices and/or availability could get worse. Kind of a crap shoot, I guess.

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
Hopefully that works out for you. You might be able to restock at reasonable prices in a year or prices and/or availability could get worse. Kind of a crap shoot, I guess.
Not like there are a whole lot of other options. Just gotta wait and see what happens like everybody else.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Appreciate the many different perspectives on this topic.

The new shooter numbers seems to jump around a bit. I’ve heard 5M, 8M and just yesterday Colion Noir said 40M new gun owners this last year. (He was on cold / allergy meds in his latest video so not totally with it) Domestic brands I somewhat understand and the supply / demand theories hold water.

I’d still like to know where all of the foreign bulk manufacturer stock is...IMI, Wolf, RedArmy, Norinco, etc... haven’t seen a box let alone a case of these brands for some time. Did Trump, OBummer or Congress quietly restrict the importation of ammo through commerce sometime in the past few years?

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, and I assume this has been brought up....

One guy I know, and I assume he is not alone, has been buying all the ammo he can in ANY caliber/type and then reselling it. I don't know the details, and he is known for having shady friends, but I would imagine there are a lot more like him.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There's been numbers touted of there having been anywhere from 5 to 7 million new gun owners in the US during 2020.

Now, add in the people concerned about potential restrictions due to the ever-shifting political winds, who suddenly want to stack ammo (and toilet paper) tall and deep.

Then, the usual Hoarders.

Then, the ones who look to buy up everything they can find so they may be able to profit during a shortage (to which they contributed, of course).

Then, the reduced staffing capacities all up & down the manufacturing, supply and sales line due to covid.

Then, the inevitable effect of component and materials shortage (including foreign demand for metals).

Let's not forget the folks who like to shout The Sky Is Falling!!, too. ;)

It's little wonder the gun and ammunition supplies have been impacted this past year.
I really think this post hit the nail on the head. It was similar in 16, or a bit earlier, with the Trump / Hillary election. I stockpiled reloading components at that time. I began this hobby at the end of 2014, and got into loading right off the rip, once 14 melted into 15. but I saw the election impending and stocked up something major. I believe I may have had another smaller order sometime between then and now, but can't recall.

I can't even find 303 Brit to feed my Enfield. How much of a "demand" can there be for it?
I reckon there is no demand on the producer's end for this. people want 9, they want 45 and they want .223. these are the golden 3 in America. With demand thru the roof for those alone, I cannot see a major manufacturer saying "hey, kill that 9MM run, we gotta get some .303 out the door." what was available, was probably scooped up by the enthusiasts who enjoy the round already. no new gun owner goes and buys a glock and a box of .303. LOL. I suspect, the available supply, was already small to begin with, but when folks saw what was happening w/ the mainstream calibers, said to themselves, get it while I can.

My guess is the companies who make 303 Brit have dedicated all of their resources to making the most popular rounds (.223, .308, etc.) and rarely if ever make runs of 303 Brit for the time being.
agreed.

On to some original content, it makes sense to me this shortage. millions, literally, of new gun owners out there. some enthused with the hobby and want to explore in every way they can (as I did, and still do, and yall do), and also, the fear purchases of "I need this now, price is sky rocketing, it will get higher, and now a dem in office" purchases.

I feel bad for those who take such a relaxed approach to this hobby they only buy ammo en route to the range. they are suffering. still then, a little forward planning on their end would have prevented this issue. I know I would pay more if I was truly worried about not being able to get ammo.

I really feel for those who pay to go to a range (lets say $15), pay the inflated price for a box of ammo ($45), shoot that and leave. I am sorry but $60 for 50 rds., not happening here. I could shoot 50 rds before I had my first cup of coffee if you catch my drift. My range trips are not frequent, but they usually push 2-250rds fired. sometimes 500.

Lessons learned each time. I am sitting high on the hog w/ my reloading supply. I held off buying more powder/primers expecting a land slide trump victory. first mistake, and biggest lesson learned. don't toy with election years!!

when / if it normalizes I intend to have enough on hand to supply myself, and the kids with enough components to load until they are old enough to buy themselves. small exaggeration, maybe, but I am probably going to drop a few mortgage payments when the prices get back to normal (if).

Even brass is hard(er) to find this go around. I am considering some once fired .40 right now, just to have more on hand. I've stopped going to public ranges as I am blessed with a few private options. my range pickup has dramatically dropped as a result.

the toughest nut for me to swallow is bullets themselves. which I have noticed, have gone up too, compared to 5 years ago. just talking coated, cast lead bullets here. but they hit the wallet quick at $100/1k depending on caliber, and up from there. I will stockpile components except for bullets. I will get 1-2k of these at a time, as needed. I am willing to splurge on bulk components to last me years but the bullets add up quick, I simply can't afford that huge expense up front for product to sit on the shelf.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Many calibers like 303 Brit. and 35 Remington are loaded generally once a year. Those calibers are not considered high demand ammo.

Now with the demand for more common ammo calibers they might not even consider tooling up to make the low demand ammo until this insanity passes.
Truth. I bought a 1955 Marlin 35 Remington in November, knowing ammo would be scarce. I found a couple of boxes locally and focused on gathering dies and reloading components. Now I'm sitting on about 220 full power loads. If I waited for the ammo companies to make their annual pittance and the LGS to stock it, I'd be SOL.

Reactions: flyover

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Truth. I bought a 1955 Marlin 35 Remington in November, knowing ammo would be scarce. I found a couple of boxes locally and focused on gathering dies and reloading components. Now I'm sitting on about 220 full power loads. If I waited for the ammo companies to make their annual pittance and the LGS to stock it, I'd be SOL.
I was lucky enough to latch onto a hundred rounds of Hornady factory loads and a hundred rounds of brass for my 35 Remington.

Reactions: JLA and SargeMO

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Maybe this

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Anyone else get this notification yesterday from Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore? I’m calling bull**** on these jokers....suddenly they have all major brands in stock at > $1.00 per round... yeah right. All of these manufacturing companies decided to flood their store for immediate shipment all at once... these jokers have been sitting on this stockpile waiting for prices to hit their magic $1/round for FMJ and $2/round for DHP before turning it on for sale. Gougers!

what say ye?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The prices people are willing to pay seem crazy. With a little patience it seems easy to avoid over paying. In the past month I have found the following at LGSs:

- Winchester 50 rd White Box 115gr 9mm for $15.99

- Winchester 50 rd White Box 230gr .45 ACP for $21.99

- PMC 20rd XTAC 5.56mm for $11.99

All of the above were limited to 100 round of each per customer. Other LGSs are on the up-charge bandwagon with 50rd boxes of 9mm going for between $35 and $56 per.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I stopped trying to go early and buy more ammo over the last few months. Academy Sports has been the LGS with the lowest prices, but I'm not so desperate that I feel like waiting in line before the store opens on ammo delivery days. I stopped by around 11AM, while doing some grocery shopping. I was shocked to find several popular calibers in stock. They increased prices 20-50% recently.
There were Remington Golden bullets at $30 something for 525, Estate 12 gauge 00 buckshot at $25 for a box of 25. 9mm steel case $16/50, Remington Core-Lokt 30.06 for $22 a box, .40 S&W FMJ for $24/50, Hornady Frontier 5.56 75 gr BTHP for $15 a box. Several types of 12 gauge target birdshot for $8/box. There was a limit of two boxes total on all ammo purchases. I was going to buy the buckshot, but saw that they were loaded in some low brass shells. These prices might appeal to some, but I'm not ready to pay them. My guess is that these will represent my lowest new ammo prices for the near future.
I spoke with a few guys in the store. One guy, who is trying to get started in reloading, was buying several boxes of Hornady XTP bullets in various calibers that he does not have guns for yet. He pretty much grabbed all of the bullets on the shelf. He offered to buy some primers from me. Another guy wanted me to sell him some of my 44 Special reloads. I did not buy anything. Academy had four or five Glock models in the gun case at decent prices.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
The prices people are willing to pay seem crazy. With a little patience it seems easy to avoid over paying. In the past month I have found the following at LGSs:

- Winchester 50 rd White Box 115gr 9mm for $15.99

- Winchester 50 rd White Box 230gr .45 ACP for $21.99

- PMC 20rd XTAC 5.56mm for $11.99

All of the above were limited to 100 round of each per customer. Other LGSs are on the up-charge bandwagon with 50rd boxes of 9mm going for between $35 and $56 per.
Yeah, well one's time is worth something. How much time do I waste trying to find reasonably priced ammo? If I could buy a case or two once I found it, it might be worth it. If all I can buy is 100 rounds, not so much.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ventured out Cabela's this morning. They hand out tickets to ammo buyers, when entering the store, then you stand in line and wait your turn to select up to five boxes of ammo. 5.56 was $90 for 150 rounds. They had target grade 9mm at $13/50, I think. It was gone before I got my turn in the aisle. I got what I came for - .22 LR, and it was a very reasonable $7.99/100. They even had pistol primers, and a lot of them. 1k was the limit, and I bought mine in SP. A solid haul, compared to recent trips to retailers, from which I usually came away empty handed.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yeah, well one's time is worth something. How much time do I waste trying to find reasonably priced ammo? If I could buy a case or two once I found it, it might be worth it. If all I can buy is 100 rounds, not so much.
Well this is something that needs to be discussed. For example, let's say people don't want to pay $35 for 9 mm online a box of 50, so they stalk these LGS', show up early, look across the internet, go to gun shows, driving sometimes a distance to big stores (Cabelas, etc). For me Bass Pro is the nearest big one at about 40 minutes away.

But what if one makes more money per hour working than that differential in cost between premium prices versus possible savings, or substantially more? At what point is the cost-benefit analysis not worth it.

Then there is the time factor. If one is working full time and has limited time for family, friends, rest, etc, then free time off work can be at a premium too.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Ever wonder if the ammo and firearms manufacturers are the REAL reason?
How better to increase return on investments than to create panic situations to drive up sales and pricing.
Anyone want to bet the REAL reason biden/harris are in the Whitehouse is because the Guns&Ammo businessmen wanted this to be? Come on man who was doing all the "Woe is me" over decreased sales from 2017 to 2019?
Think about it.

Reactions: Cambo

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I get the demand portion of this equation but don’t you find it odd that they have been “Out of Stock” on all things 9mm for months and suddenly they have ample stock on almost every major manufacturer in one day But at the $1.00 / $2.00 round pricing. Smells like a fat turd to me.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I get the demand portion of this equation but don’t you find it odd that they have been “Out of Stock” on all things 9mm for months and suddenly they have ample stock on almost every major manufacturer in one day But at the $1.00 / $2.00 round pricing. Smells like a fat turd to me.
So, your theory is that they've been sitting on a stash of ammo for months. Ammo prices have been high for months. What were they waiting for?

101 - 120 of 178 Posts