Ammo shortage

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by OutdoorsyDave, Aug 9, 2020.

1. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

I bought a set of 9mm reloading dies 11 years ago. Never reloaded 9mm because the cost was so low for factory fresh ammo, it just wasn’t worth my time (only have a single stage press so it takes me a while). Then I figure the shortage got me on the small pistol primers because I don’t load anything that needs SPP. I found a small flat box tucked away that I forgot about and it had 5k SPP I purchased before the last shortage.

Then I see the 1000 each 147gr M80 FMJBT pull down bullets I never liked after I bought them 10 years ago. I didn’t forget about them, I saw them every time I walk into that room, just too lazy to trade them away so they just sat there. The time is good now for wheeling and dealing and I quickly sold them for cash and another 1000 primers.

It’s not all bad news out there.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  2. collim1

collim1

I have been cranking out 45 auto and 38 special and shooting .22 long rifle.

It can’t hurt to have a good stash of centerfire handgun ammo around, especially when it’s reloaded at pre panic prices.

Lagamor likes this.

3. Jim2527

Jim2527

Plenty of .22LR and Federal 5.56 green tips. Only 400 of .380. I have enough but will buy more.

A side effect is fewer shooters at the range, no more waiting!!

NewWaveGuy and Kentucky Shooter like this.
  4. Blanton

Blanton

Or..... continue to regularly buy small amounts as found using the concept of Dollar Cost Averaging. It's something folks should be doing regardless. They'd always have ammo at reasonable prices and less anxiety during the lean times

Crang and Kentucky Shooter like this.
  5. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

If you think it's expensive now think about the huge tax Biden will impose if elected.

NewWaveGuy and gh1138 like this.
  6. Rocks

Rocks

If you're waiting for ammo prices to come down, it will be a long time and if Biden gets in....

Joshhtn likes this.
  7. gunowner1

gunowner1

All this talk makes me want to reload more 9mm dven though I have plenty rolled up now! I almost went to Harbor Freight for a few more plastic ammo cans. I have the components and when I run low I'll reload more.

8. PzGren

PzGren

The ammo shortages are a recurring uniquely U.S. American problem. Those of us who shoot for a long time have seen this happen before more than once or twice.
    While there is plenty of ammo in Europe, also 9mm, bringing it in fast isn't so easy. First CBC owns not only Magtech but also S&B and MEN and controls the wholesales, second getting the import and export permits during COVID can take five times longer than before.
    I know of an importer/exporter/manufacturer who will get quality 9mm ammo in by the container load and is expecting the first container to hit the shore in two weeks and more coming every fortnight. He reserved thousand rounds for me.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  9. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Things will loosen up in eighty-two days when Trump-Pence ticket starts second term.

Seven High, pAZ Ron and Crang like this.
  10. zonian

zonian

What price if you don't mind me asking...just curious.

11. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I’m not making a political statement of approval or disapproval, however, I’ve read that part of the cost increases are due to the administration’s tariffs on Chinese commodities, one of which is lead. As I understand it, a large portion of lead used in ammunition manufacturing is sourced from China. So couple the cost increases with Chinese plant shutdowns due to Covid, which put them back who knows how long on order fulfillment, with increased demand in the US, I doubt prices come back down or supply increases anytime soon. I think if this goes on long enough we’ll see the fringe shooters and gun owners who are purely recreational, maybe shoot a little here and there, or first time buyers sell their guns and now we’re down in overall numbers of people who care about gun control politics. I see the ammo shortage and bad all-the-way-around for the gun industry/political community. As an industry they need to figure out a way to produce projectiles that don’t rely on lead and copper, both of which are becoming expensive to source and manufacture. If 9mm and 5.56 ammo prices/availability stay where they are for more than a year kiss those huge numbers of first time buyers the NRA and the industry is so proud of good-bye. Can’t enjoy a gun you can’t afford to shoot, or can’t find enough ammo for it to shoot.

The industry needs to find more cost effective lead/copper alternatives. I’m not a chemist so I don’t know what those are, but I subscribe to improvise, adapt, and overcome so I think those smart people need to start brainstorming if they haven’t already.

As for fear of conflict hoarding- just stop. Use your brain and realize that stockpiling thousands of rounds of any caliber is absolutely pointless if you don’t have the means to be mobile with it. If these riots have shown anything it’s that you won’t be able to stay put if something happens. You’re going to have to be mobile and at a moments notice. Those thousands of rounds you stockpiled won’t do you one bit of good if you can’t move them. Ammunition is heavy and there are a lot of other necessities you’ll have to transport if you need to get mobile. If our society breaks down into chaos getting mobile won’t be an “if”, it will be an absolute necessity.

12. knoxville36

knoxville36

This has a different feel to it this time around. Biden and Kamala Harris are making Obama look like a conservative. His gun legislation is more radical than anything in the past. If they win in November, today's crazy prices might be tomorrow's deal.....

Even if Trump, or when he wins, I bet this shortage and high prices will go well into 2021.

NewWaveGuy and Rocks like this.
  13. tango44

tango44

You don't wait to finish your ammo to buy more.
    At least 1000 rounds of training ammo in stock always and 250 carry rounds ALWAYS in my stash.

9mm. .45 and 5.56 for me please!

pAZ Ron likes this.
  14. Rocks

Rocks

I buy when available. I have 12 boxes of Sig 9mm coming Monday from Sig site at $17 a box with 10% off buying 10 or more boxes free shipping..
    12 boxes of Sig 380 from OpticPlanet but at $19 a box coming today and that's with 10% off and free shipping.
    I buy my 45 from Precision One who seems to always have 45 available.
    I like having 4000 rounds of each in stock because my wife and I both range shoot once a week.
    I also wait for email notifications from ammo I like from tatgetsportsusaon for in stock ammo they have for the moment.

Ammo will continue to be scarce and price may continue to rise. This ammo shortage will be around for a long, long time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  15. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

Which may prove to be unsustainable for the average Joe. I think this will crush firearms sales and interest/participation.

16. Rocks

Rocks

I think most of the gun newbies will have a few boxes in stock and feel secure after little range time.

I'd like another gun or two (G19 and/or G21) but will wait until stock is available. I've overpaid for two of my guns and won't again. I can wait.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    NewWaveGuy and byf43 like this.
  17. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Just about a year ago, several of the 'old guys' at my sportsman's club, started a weekly 'for _ _ _ _s and grins fun match.
    No prizes. Just braggin' rights.
    Soft drinks. Coffee. Lemonade. Ice water. (And the wives take turns making a batch of sweets for us old farts to enjoy after burnin' some gunpowder!)

These old farts are like vultures, when it comes to "rattin' brass".
    So, since I was shooting 9mm, I started shooting CCI Blazer (aluminum). It shoots very well from my Glocks.

Found it on sale, so, I bought a case (or three).

Then, this "Chinese Virus" stuff started, and the range has been closed.

I'm sittin' on a pretty decent little stockpile of 9mm, all by accident!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish this Chinese Virus would die off, so that the old farts can have some fun, again!

18. IvanVic

IvanVic

I don’t think so. The sporadic rioting and looting is likely to continue because there is no incentive for it not to. This will keep demand high for a period of time beyond the election - even if Trump wins.

19. akpls

akpls

Occasionally I come across a "target of opportunity" and will grab it. Walked into a Big 5 Sporting Goods store with my daughter looking for a ball and spotted something I haven't seen on the shelf around here for a while. Of course I couldn't leave without it. $17.95 for the 380. $21.95 for the 45.[​IMG]

20. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

It would be nice, however. In your scenario of 82 days is when the REAL RIOTS begin from East coast to West coast. Not just in Portland, Chicago, various CA cities.

I don’t think the shortage will get any better in all of 2020 no matter the election outcome.