Ammo shortage

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by OutdoorsyDave, Aug 9, 2020.

1. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Buwahahahaha

just arrived today. Since I was out of reloading components and I was under 500 rounds of 9mm, I bought this super expensive 1,000

happy camper - I was caught so unaware. I thought I had 3,000

31043CBA-1A40-4FE6-BA1B-DC8A60319CBD.jpeg

NewWaveGuy, shadowlands and Rocks like this.
  2. fistagon

fistagon

What did you pay?

3. shadowlands

shadowlands

Picking up 5 small boxes of Sig V-Crown JHP 9mm this weekend at Bass Pro.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Will people learn from this? Let’s say things go as I hope. Trump wins huge, Decent Republicans and decent Democrats control Both houses. (Hey it’s my dream). ;)
    Antifa punks get arrested, BLM is crushed by Blacks upset at lies. So our country heals, improves, race relations is a non issue. How you act matters. Not perceived by color of your skin...
    Anyway ammo prices should drop in 3 months. Gun prices should drop. 1st time gun owners bow to pressure from SWMBO “wife, girlfriend” and sells at loss.
    That’s when you buy.
    Decent ARs $500 OTD. 500 5.56 $100...
    I am selling “stuff”. I want to sell a few guns but am dragging my heals.

TacticalDesire likes this.
  5. knoxville36

knoxville36

I have been having good luck with Sig ammo bought directly from Sig Sauer. I really like their ammo and think it is pretty high quality. Their 9mm 115gr. FMJ is $16.95 for box of 50. Unlike every other place, they have not gone up in price.

Now..... They give free shipping and the price per box goes down the more you buy. If you get 10 boxes, the price goes down to $15/box. With free shipping and taxes it came to .31/round. I ordered some this past Friday, delivered to my door Tuesday. I also ordered some of their .380 ammo also and delivered in 2 days. They are now cheaper than anything on ammoseek......

Bass Pro I have been having good luck with. They have not gone up either. I bought 10 boxes of Federal 124 gr. 9mm FMJ and it was $10.99/box 2 weeks ago in store. Same price as back in the winter.

Academy Sports is another good one. They put out ammo every morning. If you get there when they open, you can find some at better prices than anything online. Last week I picked up 2 Winchester 115gr. 500 packs and they were $99 each or .20/round. Also bought 2 350 packs of .380 also that day. Academy is not limited to 3 boxes.

Rural King - has been getting some Remington UMC in for $11.99/box, limit of 2 boxes. I have bought a decent amount lately.

Seems like all the online retailers are .60/round or so. It is tough, but some of the chain stores have been pretty decent if you can get there when they open.

Attached Files:

6. sonoma

sonoma

I will shoot 22 for the next few months.When i can replace my 9mm at a decent price i will shoot some of it.

7. knoxville36

knoxville36

Sig Sauer has some 147 grain elite 9mm in stock tonight if anyone needs any. Advertised of $19.99, out 10 boxes in your cart and it come down to $17.96 with free shipping. Not the best price, but steel ammo is more than that at all the online retailers right now!

This weekend I ran about 500 rounds through my SR22 and Ruger Wrangler. I might get a TX22 just for the heck of it. I am stocked up on everything, but probably will be shooting a lot of .22 in the foreseeable future.

NewWaveGuy, Bus007 and Rocks like this.
  8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Seriously, there's an ammo shortage? Didn't everyone learn from the last ammo shortage? If you don't have enough ammo on the shelf, it's on you.

9. Blanton

Blanton

Unlikely. History has shown that many gun owners just don't seem to learn about preparing for and anticipating shortages, only *****ing about them when they (re)occur and then trying to get others to find ammo for them. Then these threads reappear.

10. johnnypaul

johnnypaul

I been trying to get ammo supply build up but life happens. Couldnt afford to drop a lot of money into it over the last 8 years due to health issues / medical bills. But I feel I got a decent amount saved, Better than a lot of people Im noticing.
    I atleast have a lot of .22 to shoot.

Pennsyltucky, NewWaveGuy and pAZ Ron like this.
  11. Rocks

Rocks

Thanks!
    I just ordered 13 boxes of 9MM, 115GR, Elite Ball, 365 FMJ and 2 boxes of 9MM, 124GR, Elite V-Crown, JHP.
    I prefer 9mm 124gr but at $17 a box for Sig ammo, 115gr will do.

12. knoxville36

knoxville36

Awesome!! They may sell out, but it is replenished in a few days usually. Pretty constant supply if anyone needs ammo. I have a good bit in .380, 9mm, and .45 ACP.

13. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Now is not the time to buy ammo. The time will come in 1.5-2 years when the shelves are packed and consumer demand/prices are low again. Save your money.

Ammo is scarce for many reasons. One being the supply chains are all buggered up from layoffs due to Covid. Metals weren't being dug... Powders weren't being made, Brass wasn't being made into casings etc etc etc--all because everything shut down for a few months. Add the fear based buying spree that accompanies something like a pandemic on top of the fear based buying that accompanies nationwide protests and riots and guess what....no ammo made, no ammo shipped, no ammo to buy.... Its not hard and its not a conspiracy. Trust me...Federal/WInchester/Fiocchi etc would love to sell you trainloads of ammo at top dollar right now...but there ain't none to sell. Cause there ain't stuff to make it with.

Generalmgr and Hef like this.
  14. Pennsyltucky

Pennsyltucky

The most practical thing to do is ride out the storm and sit on whatever stockpile you have. Only pull the trigger for serious training and hunting.

15. collim1

collim1

MidwayUSA had .22 long rifle in stock this afternoon. I bought 3250 rounds.

It’s Federal auto-match which has run well in all my .22’s, handguns and rifles.

And gone.......

That didn’t last long. Sorry guys.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    sonoma and pAZ Ron like this.
  16. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

This is the 2nd ammo shortage in the 7 years since I bought my first handguns in the 2013 shortage. You had to grab any quality FMJ or SD ammo available. Same for magazines.

You learn. Be limited only by the available storage space. Take advantage of the year end sales, rebates, & free shipping offers. There were a lot of specials! Got components to make rounds myself as backup.

You learn to be very opportunistic: .40 S&W Federal HST 180 grain, nickel plated cases in 250 round ammo containers ~ 27c/round shipped. The amount purchased was not "needed". But I will never run out & nor see another deal like that.

In the 2016-2018 period, did not buy FMJ ammo if it was not =/< 9mm (115 gr) - 17c/rd, .40 - 22c/rd, .357 SIG - 30c/rd +/-, and .380 - 35c/rd. And deals on JHP's too.

The deals dried up by 2019 and IIRC didn't buy much ammo the last 2 years.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  17. collim1

collim1

It’s just part of the game. It shouldn’t be, but it is.

I have survived the Clinton ban, elections, mass shootings, etc....

Always stock up when the market is good. Plan ahead.

I bought 50 AR15 magazines when the bottom fell out on those a few years ago. I’ll never need any of those again.

Now if only I could score a good deal on some primers.

Lagamor and pAZ Ron like this.
  18. Lagamor

Lagamor

Yeah primers are the weak link. I’m waiting for them to come back myself, but I don’t expect that to happen until after the election.

19. collim1

collim1

I have about 15k which is theoretically plenty, and should last me a long time.

But I am not immune to wanting more just because I can’t have them.

I definitely won’t pass on any 3 cent primers if a deal come up.

pAZ Ron and Lagamor like this.
  20. Lagamor

Lagamor

I’m sitting on 10k SPP. I can make that last four years if I cut back a bit. I have an open order for two cases with my local supplier for when things go back to normal. The problem is I don’t know when normal comes back. Six months or eight years it’s a guessing game now.