Ammo shortage

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by OutdoorsyDave, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

That's it?? Cute start....

2. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

As a former boy scout, I took the motto to heart, be prepared.
    Dig the well before you get thirsty.

3. legalsten

legalsten

2009 is when I changed my ammo purchasing . I had enough for me but it was sold out everywhere . I would go into work a few minutes early and stop by Walmart every few days . By a box maybe 2 even if I didn't "need " it . Several years of that and when the price goes up you just don't buy it . When the crisis is over go back to buying .

By the time you see there is a crisis , it is too late to stock up . You have to be stocking up in non crisis times .

NewWaveGuy, GSX42, 45caldan and 2 others like this.
  4. nutsnax

nutsnax

somebody has to pay for all of this stimulus money.

5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Take into consideration, the business model of today is, run enough production to keep the business running. Sort of like only adding enough gas to the tank just to get you to the next gas station. We also have millions of NEW gun owners sucking the gastank dry. When businesses only make enough product to keep them going, thats all they care about. Low stockpiles means your not tieing up business funds with inventory sitting in storage.

The next thing that slowed it all down, was the demOvirus. Alot of businesses were shut down. Some even layed off workers. Now that things are starting to open up ever so slowly, now they have to deal with less staff, and also deal with other places that supplied them their materials to make their products going through the same thing.

So the way i see it, you as a shooter, or reloader, are at the mercy of who YOU buy YOUR supplies from. I`m no economist here, its just what i`ve seen when i step back and look at the whole picture.

Those in the past, that thought guns and ammo wern`t essential and didnt need or want, those are the people panicking now. Those who prepare themselves, and fill their gastanks, dont run out of gas.

NewWaveGuy and OutdoorsyDave like this.
  6. The Viking

The Viking

First it was the covoid and people were afraid the police would be infected and there would be far fewer available and the infrastructure might collapse. Then it was the riots and BLM promoting anarchy. Now it is Biden's stupid gun control and banning on line ammo sales.

glock1097 and Intolerant like this.
  7. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

If you can check websites during the day, try sportsmansguide.com. They intermittently have available ammo at decent prices if you're willing to wait 2 - 3 months on backorder. You have to check at least daily though as it's constantly changing. As of this afternoon, they have Wolf steel-cased 9mm 500 rounds for $95 expected available in October. This weekend I ordered 1,000 rounds of S&B BC 45 for ~$15/box 50 but not available until November.

A friend has had hit-or-miss luck on Bass Pro or Cabelas website, but he's checking several times throughout the day before finding something in stock.

Also, there was a controversial thread here recently about a site called Ammo Squared which allows you to set a fixed purchase amount each month. I don't know much more about it. Just to be clear, I'm not a member, and I'm not trying to refer anyone, so just Google it.

papershoot, NewWaveGuy and Cambo like this.
  8. Blanton

Blanton

It's called always planning for the (un)expected. It's reading the news and staying up on current affairs. It's knowing a little human nature; when new gun laws are discussed more guns are sold. When violence erupts more guns are sold. More guns sold means more ammo sold. Watching things develop is advantageous. Being a bystander is not. Gun and ammo shortages are not rare and have well-defined causes. It's watching those causes developing.
    Another great strategy is buying a little ammo on a regular basis over the more plentiful times- Dollar Cost Averaging. Be smart and proactive or find yourself where you and many others are today.

-JCN- and Intolerant like this.
  9. IDCG

IDCG

My theory is all the new gun sales/first-time panic buyers are buying up all the fmj since they don't know any better that fmj isn't the best choice for self-defense. Most of the websites I check have duty hollow point ammo in stock in 9mm, .40. and .45.

10. GAFinch

GAFinch

For some, yes, but a lot of them need practice ammo so they can go the range and learn how to use their new guns, which is a very real concern in/near hot zones with demoralized and neutered police forces. Defensive ammo won't be far behind - buy it now if you need it. This is more than a typical panic.

11. Corbonman

Corbonman

Keep an eye on precision one

12. Generalmgr

Generalmgr

Do you really believe that to be true? I hope not. I think most economists (and manufacturers) will wholeheartedly disagree, as do I. Businesses, in general, produce what they forecast to be the appropriate amount of product to maximize profit. Yes, if they forecast correctly, that amount will be at least “enough product to keep them going”, but your faulty assumption is a business will only make that minimum amount of product, and then basically not make any more over that amount. Sorry, but that is ridiculous. You really think that’s the “business model of today?” C’mon man, get real. Business owners aren’t in business to keep the business going. They are in business to MAKE MONEY. As much money as possible in as short a time as possible. (Side note: withholding production or inventory to artificially change market forces in an attempt to boost prices is an entirely different, though relevant, concept and discussion.)

13. Intolerant

Intolerant

"C`mon man" (lol)
    I saw first hand what "your" idea of running a business ended up doing to the companies i worked for. You`re close amigo... go back to what you wrote (in bold). There`s where the problem lays. Nobody runs a business for long term anymore... get in, strip the meat, then they sell it and move on.

gh1138 likes this.
  14. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Amen! And in making money, it’s not even being profitable. The money’s in selling out. It used to be earnings per share, profits, and cash flow. Now it’s all about revenue growth, subscriptions sold, or number of clicks. At least on Wall Street. A few decades ago, people started a business to feed their families and create long-term cash flow for their progeny. Now it’s about growing quickly and selling to a bigger firm. Can’t blame ‘em though. As fast as everything’s changing, competing service firms pop up overnight, and new products are cloned in China not longer after they hit the market.

Intolerant likes this.
  15. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

You should try out ammoseek.com I was looking for some 5.56 and used them to find some.

16. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Ammo shortage?
    What ammo shortage?

If you get caught short of ammo one time, that could be called bad luck.

If you get caught short of ammo a second time, that's just pis* poor planning.

pAZ Ron, Blanton, papershoot and 5 others like this.
  17. Intolerant

Intolerant

^^^^^^^ there it is, THANK YOU!
    All the small mom & pop shops of yesteryear, they`re gone. Thank walmart, amazon, etc etc etc.
    One day, and its not far off, we`re gonna have to get back to our roots. Big companies need to be split up. All these big companies have done is sell their souls to china. And here we are.

gh1138 and Rocks like this.
  18. Intolerant

Intolerant

^^^^^^ THIS!!! Yes Sir!!!
    I can gladly say, i`ve never been caught in the shortages... saw it coming decades ago.

19. Generalmgr

Generalmgr

Successful capitalism will find its equilibrium. There has to be a balance, eventually, for the system to work. There will be ups and downs, winners and losers. So many complain about the system when it affects them negatively. I probably would as well. But we don’t and should not want any other system. (Implied) whining about what “the man” did to you won’t get anyone anywhere. You can’t have it both ways. Work the system and you’ll find success. You may say others (ie: Walton, Bezos, Buffet, Gates, and all those other bastards) are lucky. I say they made their own luck. And they’re smarter than the rest of us. So what’s it gonna be? More government intervention in things, or let capitalism do its thing? Ever study Venezuela? Check out how more government worked out for them. It ain’t pretty. Sorry to OP about derailing the thread.... but I couldn’t in good conscience let that post go unanswered.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  20. Intolerant

Intolerant

I`ll not comment on your post, even though i could, i wont. I apologize for dragging the thread off topic earlier, even thought the ammo shortage had alot to do with what i was getting at. Lets get back on the main topic with the thread.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020