Ammo shortage

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by OutdoorsyDave, Aug 9, 2020.

1. legalsten

legalsten

no shortage for me . I bought for years knowing this was coming.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. OutdoorsyDave

OutdoorsyDave

I agree with you 100% there partner.

Dave

Kentucky Shooter likes this.

3. Glockman4

Glockman4

Then you're screwed for the foreseeable future. Not trying to be an a-hole but that's the reality of it.

As far as the right timing to buy? There are people on here and all over this country that have been hoarding ammo and weathering panics since before I was even born. The Clinton AWB started when I was two. The key is to always being buying when everything is calm, and prices are low. I've been a gun owner through the Obama years, the Sandy Hook panic which was huge, and the 2016 election which was a little more on the mild side. I have a good stock but not near as much as I wish I had, that's just where I'm at.

I am very glad that I'm not having to run out and grab a box of 20 hollow points for $1.50 a round, or worrying about not having enough 5.56 to fill two AR mags, but that's where a lot of people are also at right now. Planning ahead is key. This isn't like buying figurines or collector silverware sets. Guns and ammo are under constant political attack and are subsequently subject to random unavailability and wild price swings.

Intolerant, TexasG23, Cambo and 2 others like this.
  4. OutdoorsyDave

OutdoorsyDave

Nebraska, looking to at some point get 9mm...eventually.

Dave

5. OutdoorsyDave

OutdoorsyDave

I’ve been looking at multiple sites, was looking at 500-1000 rounds of 9mm Luger, 1000 rounds for me is excessive but wouldn’t have to worry about it for quite awhile, wife’s been looking for me also

Dave

6. Rocks

Rocks

I've been shooting mostly 45 than my other calibers because it's usually available. My wife shoots the 45, 9mm but mostly her G42.
    I haven't gotten an email notification on 9mm or 380 from TargetSportsUSA in a few weeks.
    I do have 15 boxes of Sig 380 coming this week from Opticsplanet I ordered 3 weeks ago. Not cheap but not bad at $18.89 with 10% discount and free shipping.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    OutdoorsyDave and triggerjerk like this.
  7. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

I think you may be on to something. I have noticed the regular places i buy from (both brick and mortar and online) are just not getting resupplied, and haven't been in months. It seems once covid hit there was a run and then an initial restock by retailers (albeit at slightly higher prices). Now, nothing. Where is all of the production going?

8. Qman2

Qman2

Gun sales are way up so more ammo going there. I train and compete a fair amount so I keep my ammo on hand counts pretty high. Not much you can do in the current environment. When things settle down then stock up. My trainer has a connection with a local range and usually snags 10k rounds to hold for people taking his classes there.

-JCN- likes this.
  9. roscoepcoaltrain

roscoepcoaltrain

I always find plenty of 7.62×51mm NATO (.308) for my M1a , but handgun ammo is hit or miss at Wal-Mart or the local gun shops. I find 10mm and 38 Special ammo frequently. That's about it. I have a good supply of 9mm and .45 anyway. I might just go online and search.

10. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

That hasn’t been my experience at all. You do have to hunt and peck, be patient for back orders to fill, and maybe learn to cast your own pills, but I’m not having too tough of a time at all.

Now is a great time to learn how to reload, because it forces you to go slow.

Here’s another tip for you guys:

Go with a chambering that isn’t that popular. During the last go around, I was shooting a .327 Magnum, and had plenty of ammo at all times.

Currently, I’m on the 10mm bandwagon. I just received 500 rounds of once fired brass, and I’m on waiting lists for primers from here to hell and back. Someone will get some in, and I’ll be good to go.

As far as powder goes, just review all the reloading data you can absorb. You’ll find powder that’ll work.

I cast up a little north of 500 bullets about a month ago, so no problem there.

As Warren Buffet says, “Be greedy when others are fearful, and be fearful when others are greedy.” In other words, don’t follow the crowd. In my view, the crowd wants ammo. I want components.

Cambo likes this.
  11. cowboy325

cowboy325

Good for you. Not real interested in shooting off calibers and 500 rounds is not very much ammo for me. See what you get when you look for 9mm bullets and small pistol primers...

12. jame

Fair enough, brother.

You’ll just have to wait, I guess.

The only thing I have to offer in your case is to wish you luck.

billy_56081, NewWaveGuy and Joshhtn like this.
  13. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Non-traditional calibers do make it easier. I laughed all the way to my car when I walked into an ammo store here and there was a line for cases of 9mm at outrageous prices. I picked up two cases of 38Super cheaper than the 9mm.

14. jame

I’ve always been intrigued by the .38 Super. If a guy has one that’ll headspace at the case mouth instead of the rim, he’s got a real winner.

I just don’t understand the ammo shortage victimhood thing. I buy what no one else is shooting and and make it work, usually very, very well.

I’ll take a full ammo can over a list of back orders all day, every day.

15. cowboy325

cowboy325

No. Not really. I have over 2k each of 9mm, 40 cal, 45 ACP, 380 is a little short at 1500 rounds. I am in much better shape on 5.56 and 7.62X39 :dancingbanana: Just for the record, your not my brother. Friend

PS. I forgot about the 38sp and 357mag....

16. J_Rico

J_Rico

As stated a combination of factors.

Plenty of unrest right now. People are nervous.

Lots of new gunowners.

Election year and lots of gun control talk from the Dems.

But then it becomes a shortage because there is a shortage. People hear there is a shortage and start buying. My mom, who has not bought ammo in decades, called me and asked if I was aware there was an ammo shortage.

I think so. This is not the first ammo shortage. Probably not the last. Eventually people will calm down, get full closets or over run their credit.

Not to be rude, but that is why you are starting threads about needing ammo. Ammo is not like milk or even gasoline. It does not go bad. Buy it when it is on sale and store it.

17. jame

so, you post about a shortage, and how useless it is to seek reloading components. I offer you some suggestions that guarantee successful ammo stocking, which you reject.

Then you advise that you have no ammo shortage at all, and that you’re in good shape, while rebuking a term of endearment I usually give to friends and brothers in arms.

But you’re right. You are not my brother. Just to correct you, not my friend, either. As a matter of fact, you’re really quite nothing at all, but a faceless human somewhere out there.........one thing I did give was benefit of the doubt, which is now gone.

Just to show you around a little, when you have a question for the group, keep it short and simple. And polite, btw. Some here can eat you.........And if you have nothing of value to add, just don’t post. Most members appreciate that.

18. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I just checked ammoseek to look at pricing. Reloaded 9mm at .60 a round and they showed high shipping rates. Daaannnnggggg...

-JCN- likes this.
  19. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

I treat ammo like firewood. When I think I have enough I go 3X.

20. Cambo

Cambo

I am thinking about getting a .40 s&w, a .357 sig, or a 10mm soon. On a lot of websites, 10mm is cheaper than 9mm.

NewWaveGuy, -JCN- and jame like this.