Ammo shortage

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by OutdoorsyDave, Aug 9, 2020.

1. OutdoorsyDave

OutdoorsyDave

Wow, this ammo shortage sucks. I mean I call all around (because driving around everywhere wasting gas for no ammo is for the birds) I look on a ton of ammo websites, by the way, I’ve asked to be notified for a bunch of different 9mm ammo, on a bunch of different websites, what the heck is going on!? Is there a shortage because of hard to get materials, or is everyone panic buying because of all the nuts in cities rioting. Also will this country ever recover from the ammo shortage? How is one supposed to know when to stock up or stock pile, maybe I’m different, I don’t usually go out and randomly buy ammo for the hell of it if I don’t necessarily need it. Also what I use for range and home defense is just the plain old 9mm Luger full metal jacket.

Dave

2. Bradley T

Bradley T

Combination of factors. Mostly just the fear we all have of the anarchy certain leftist groups are making sure we have in some way from now on. Ammo is just gonna be in short supply for a while. I hope those leftist groups aren't the ones buying it! But some of it may be going to them. I am kind of frightened by it all. Never seen my country being openly and internally attacked like this.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157

i am new to this as well, and when i was buying ammo, like 1,000 rds of 9 MM, for $159.00, and started seeing it creep up $10 at a time, i was buying more and more, till it hit the $250 point. this was at the LGS.

now, i can get .45 ACP 200 rds for $79.99, down from $139.00, and i am stocking up on that.

online for me too, is hit or miss, and i'll buy steel as well as brass, if it is a good price.

try any local "survival stores" in your area, one near me sells ammo as well, but it has gotten pricey as well.

4. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Try bulk munitions dot com

they are high priced but have stock

OutdoorsyDave likes this.
  5. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

It’s a sad situation for sure. I have a decent stash but I am not currently shooting any of it not knowing when/if I can replace it.

I might need what I have to hunt with to eat, not to mention defending home and hearth.

chev1958 and Intolerant like this.
  6. bac1023

bac1023

It’s not going to get better anytime soon with this election upcoming.

7. cowboy325

cowboy325

Ammo shortage.... latest attempt by the Dems to implement gun control.....:crazy:... and if you are thinking of rolling your own... same story.... no primers, brass, or bullets.....

glock1097, Intolerant and B C like this.
  8. fistagon

fistagon

I think that a lot of distributors are holding the supply back like they did with .22 around the Sandy Hook days.

I know everyone and their chinchilla is buying ammo, and this certainly is part of the shortage, but I got bamboozled on my 300blk order I put in with Sportsman’s Guide.

I called and stayed on track with them for a month after I got in on a backorder that was suppose to ship on August 3rd. I called and spoke to CS on the 2nd to see if it was still going to ship. The woman I spoke with called, according to her, some friends of hers she works with from their distributor warehouse and they told her that it would start shipping to customers the next day.

August 3rd comes...they change the ship date to 10/18/20. I guess they saw that on GB and everywhere else it’s selling for triple what they are charging for it so may as well capitalize on it. That’s my guess at least.

triggerjerk likes this.
  9. J-Doo

J-Doo

bac1023 is right, with the political climate up in the air it just adds another layer of panic buying. The hoarders that don’t shoot are the biggest hit on our ammunition at the moment. They buy everything on the shelf and then it sits in their home for years and never gets used. I buy a lot of ammo from a local company that brands their own reloads. They can’t get brass. Primers either but I don’t know why that is. My last order was for 10mm and after I placed that order everything was gone. I have plenty for myself if I don’t want to go every week like I’m used to doing but I’m not comfortable with not practicing. I like to buy a couple boxes at the range so I don’t use my own supply but that is done as of Friday. The only thing i found was 10mm Blazer (not brass) and a box of Sig V-Crown 44 special. I was thinking about getting rid of my Glock 31 but then I changed my mind. That pistol has another 400 rounds in my safe just keep it. I’m the same with my .380 ACP. Don’t get rid of anything you have ammo for.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    NewWaveGuy and OutdoorsyDave like this.
  10. cciman

cciman MacGyver

11. DustyJacket

Yup. Keep a gun you have ammo for or might find.
    I had 3 or 4 thousand rounds of 9mm a while back.
    Went to the range yesterday and discovered I had maybe 500 or less.

I could find no primers or bullets.

after looking everywhere I way overpaid at bulk munitions dot com and my order was verified. I was glad to get it.

Hours later they were out of stock too.
    I was too complacent. Darned near ran out.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  12. DustyJacket

Plus the rumor mill is going nuts !

jame likes this.
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Where are you located, what caliber, price? I’m thinking I should sell my store ammo. Just shoot my reloads.
    I went to Blazer aluminum for GSSF, any place you can’t save your brass.

byf43 and Intolerant like this.
  14. Raven1967

Raven1967

Its not going to get any better for quite awhile.My local gun store gets what he can but puts a limit on it.Glocks and AKs have been cleaned out for weeks.Glad I still have my ammo supply built up because we may be in for a long wait.

NewWaveGuy likes this.
  15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Help work the match; keep lots of brass.
    ETA- my thoughts on ammo stockpiles. The only reason I keep a bunch of ball ammonia for practice. I have at least 500 rds of HP for each caliber and will probably NEVER use all of that. Range ammo? No use having it if I’m not going to use it.

16. GenBraddock

GenBraddock

FMJ= ball ammo....military has used it for years....it will get the job done.

17. Holosun420c

Holosun420c

I was fortunate to find some large magnum pistol primers, and while purchasing them, a fellow behind me stated he had small pistol primers and I bought 3000 from him. I have seen primers finally hitting the shelves in my area, but still hit or miss. 9mm is starting to trickle in as well.

18. OutdoorsyDave

OutdoorsyDave

Agreed.

Dave

19. OutdoorsyDave

OutdoorsyDave

Thanks, will give it a try.

Dave

20. Rocks

Rocks

At this point, how much ammo do you want in stock?
    I have 3500+ each of 380, 9mm and 45 ball ammo.
    I do range shoot weekly, sometimes twice and usually with the wife.
    Not knowing how long this shortage will be, I'll continue buying but not get too crazy. It's going to be a long dry spell with some ammo available at high prices here and there.

Anyone looking for 45acp, Precision One has inventory. I've bought and shot a lot of it and it's great ammo.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020