close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ammo shortage - rumor control

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vkscott, Mar 7, 2012.

1. vkscott

vkscott Retired USAF

A friend of mine has a client that owns a gun store in a large Texas city. Last week, his client told him to buy as much ammo that he could before May because after May 1st, their distributor won't be able to supply them with ammo. Anyone else heard this? His client wouldn't say why.

2. michael e

michael e

They have been saying this crap for last few years. The guy is just trying to make people buy alot right now. Sure ammo will never be as cheap as it was 10 years ago but it is not going to disapper tommorow.

3. NIB

NIB

I've lost count how many times there is going to be an ammo shortage because blah, blah, and blah.

4. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Ammo manufacturers have really increased their deliveries I have seen over the last few months. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they are preparing themselves for a run on their inventory and after 2008 will be more than ready to accommodate taking your money in exchange for their products.

:wavey:

5. j-glock22

j-glock22

Considering this election year is landmark and historic in a much greater magnitude than most, something or someone on the internet will throw something out there and cause a big enough spook to spark a sudden buying spree resulting in a so-called shortage while shops jack up prices because suckers will freak out and fork out anything to get their ammo before the excrement hits the fan.

Pardon my run-on-sentence there.

If you are low or need to freshen up your stock, I personally would take advantage now and grab a few boxes. I may do the same as well, but I'm not wringing my hands over it, even if panic buying and supplies suddenly dry up tomorrow.

6. tongix

tongix

Thanks i got to stock up on some buckshots and slugs tomorrow from nearby SuperWalmart. Love their econo pak of $10 for 15 shells.

7. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Silly rumors. Just like gold is going to hit $5k an ounce next year...every year.

Luckily I am still overstocked from 2008. I sold ammo on gunbroker for two years and I still have too much left.

8. ray9898

ray9898

More BS spread by the gun industry as a whole to keep prices inflated. Line your pockets by playing on peoples fears.

9. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Might be true. People are starting to horde again, and the supply is starting to get thinner.

For the past few years, I have been only replacing what I shoot, but I am starting to stock up again.

The rest of you can not worry, and it might prevent a run in the for a while.

10. silentpoet

silentpoet

I don't think somebody who is selling something would have a vested interest in making me want to buy stuff. Why would they make me want to buy their merchandise?

11. Ragnar

Ragnar

I haven't heard anything about May 1st, but based on previous history and the current political climate, I think you want to buy your ammo or guns before August. Not because of shortages, but because you know that the run up to the election will cause some people to go crazy. Prices will go up.

12. Chuche2

Chuche2

We build AR's and parts are starting to dry up a bit. We order enough to build 100-150 at a time. Last week we had to scramble to find what we needed. Our regular supplier was out of charging handles and did not have enough BCG's to fill the order. We checked Brownells to get a little more off the dealer price on 500 charging handles. While we were on the phone with them someone else bought them all. We ended up finding what we needed at 2 other suppliers at a slight price increase. The parts manufactorers are booked into 2013. They won't even talk to you unless you want 100,000 of this or that.

13. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

I have enough commercial ammo left plus double that with componants for making more of my own. You all can have my share this time around.

14. vkscott

vkscott Retired USAF

I think you might have nailed it. Makes me wonder if their conversation ended something like "and BTW, we have an ample stock of ammo that is on sale right now through May."

I recall after the last election trying to find 9 mm and 45 acp. It was near impossible. I ended up with a bunch of 38 special ammo. I have since sold the pistol and am now storing 8 boxes of ammo. Anyone want to buy 400 rounds of 38 special? I'll make you a good deal. At least until the election :rofl:

15. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

I usually have an ammo shortage every few months. :cool:

I try and rotate ammo like I do a few other type items. Takes some time and funds to get where you want to be, but nice when you do.

16. tongix

tongix

Election year is always a boom time for the gun and ammo industry. And gun people are already conditioned to horde. The sellers only need to ramp it up a little bit by word of mouth and sales will increase.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I don't know anything about the May stuff but IMO there will be another ammo shortage.

Stock up or don't stock up, but this time lets not have all the crying because Wal Mart doesn't have ammo or the price is sky high.
    While it's available have the foresight to put aside what ammo you will need for six months or a year, or more. It's better than money in the bank.

Personally, at the next gun show I'll be buying another 5,000 small pistol primers.
    Ammo shortage? What ammo shortage? I never saw a ammo shortage.:supergrin:

18. clancy

clancy

I have had the woners of 3 local gunshops tell me they are stocking up, as they believe that by the middle of the summer ammnition will be impossible to get. Maybe this is the reason, I don't know, but the shop I was at the other day just got a delivery of 100 cases each of .223 and 7.62x39, and that is for a small shop.

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Recently at a gun show, a couple a couple ladies I'm teaching to shoot, bought guns.
    They were told it would be an hour before they could do the paperwork because the dealer was selling guns so fast. The dealer had 5 salespeople just doing the paperwork.

All these new guns need ammo.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I heard Putin is still pissed at Hillary for her comments back in December. May 1, he is planning on halting all exports of Russian ammo to the US.

What most people don't know is that most ammo - even ammo manufactured in the US - has Russian components in it. They can just manufacture stuff cheaper. Hornady has been stockpiling for a few weeks, but will be in deep trouble by mid July. Lake City is in absolute panic. If we have another ground war kick in (Iran), we won't have the ammo to fight it. It's bad. Real bad.

There was this one guy that was trying to smuggle some components in. He got stopped at Murmansk port. He tried to escape out a bathroom window to tell his tale, but the KGB came in as he was halfway out the window. So they ran over and started pulling his leg. . . just like I am now.

(How soon til someone tries to refute my claims? :rofl: )