Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but this seemed to be an appropriate place for this question.

Anyway I'm planning on sending a friend a care package as a gift with some various gun related items in it. Most of it I know I can ship without a problem; mags, cleaning supplies, etc. However I also want to include a single 100 rd box of CCI Mini Mags as I know he has 22lr handgun. I've read that you have to label the package ORM-D but I have also read in certain places that you need to provide some proof of "training" (in quotes because apparently you can do the training by yourself).

In any case I don't really want to have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops just to include a box of mini mags. I just want to toss it in with everything else (which will all be well packaged) and ship it. Ideally I'd like to send it USPS Priority since that's a flat rate and it also arrives very fast for cheap but if USPS is going to give me trouble then I could go to UPS or FedEx without a problem.

So does anyone have experience shipping ammo or know how to go about it? I'd appreciate any information you guys can provide. Thanks.

·
IAFF Local 4766
2,630 Posts
I ship thousands of dollars worth of ammo per week. Since you are shipping live ammo and cleaning supplies it will have to be marked ORMD. If you ship primers or gunpowder then it is HazMat and they will charge you a kings ransom to ship it.

It is a crime to ship ORMD even womens make up via USPS. That said the USPS is the third largest shipper of ammo even though they do not want to be.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you ship USPS? Also the cleaning supplies I am sending consist of patches and cloths, no solvents or anything flammable (at least not any more flammable than the box itself is).

To clarify though I have to mark it ORM-D to ship it UPS/FedEx and regardless of how I mark it with USPS there is no legal way to do it?

·
IAFF Local 4766
2,630 Posts
Do you ship USPS? Also the cleaning supplies I am sending consist of patches and cloths, no solvents or anything flammable (at least not any more flammable than the box itself is).

To clarify though I have to mark it ORM-D to ship it UPS/FedEx and regardless of how I mark it with USPS there is no legal way to do it?
USPS ships no ORMD. UPS is the easiest way of shipping ammo. Fed Ex some times will try saying that ammo is HazMat.

I only use USPS on shipping things like shirts and handguns. Everything else is UPS. UPS and Fed Ex you can pay and print labels from their web sites. Then you can schedule a pick up or just had the box of to the first delivery truck you happen across.

I have my local UPS drivers cell number. If I have orders ready to ship after he leaves here I just meet him at one of the local business. I know he picks up every day at a local print shop at 4:30. I meet him there.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Everytime I've ever shipped ammo it's always been using UPS. My driver gave me the blue label to affix to any box I'm shipping ammo in and that's the end of it. I haven't read any of the repies here yet but I don't believe ammo can be shipped US mail. I may be wrong on that but I'm sure someone will come along and school me soon enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts