close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ammo shelf life

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by dometop, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dometop

dometop

BoGs,

is there a shelf life for ammo? how long can i keep my current stock of ammo before it becomes dangerous to use, or even store? is it the same for all calibers? how about for reloads?

thank you in advance for your valuable input.

dometop

2. zorkd

zorkd

if you store it right, it can store for more than 50 years, probably no danger even if it gets old, just might not work or give you hang fires.

we fired .45 acp with markings showing it was manufactured during WWII and it worked just fine.

3. kent

kent

don't know kung advisable or really effective but my father gave me ammos he kept since the late 60's. he wrapped the whole box in wax. upon opening it still looks like new and fires alright.

4. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

If its defense ammo, it would be best to consume it within a year so that you are assured of reliable ignition.

Here's a general guideline that you may follow from the Remington web site:

The shelf life of ammunition is about ten years. If ammunition is exposed to extreme temperatures, or if it is older than recommended shelf life, it should be taken to your local law enforcement agency for proper disposal.

I wouldn't know about the shelf life for reloads though.

5. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Dometop,
    How long will you keep the ammo? Store factory ammo in surplus GI ammo cans with good rubber gasket. My reloads don't last long, I shoot them as fast as I can make them.

Zorkd,
    Be carefull of WW2 ammo, they are corrossive. Clean your barrel well.

Kent,
    Wax wrapped boxed ammo is good idea! Some surplus rifle ammo sold here is packed in cans. Kailangan mo pa ng abre-lata!

6. dometop

dometop

thank you for your replies!

Mang Danny, the reason i asked is that my some of my defense ammo i've had since 1999--these (both JHPs and FMJs) were given to me, and i don't even know how long it has been with the 'giver' before it was passed on to me. a couple of years back, these got soaked (overnight, apparently) when my basement came under water. i inspected them physically, and except for minute traces of oxidization, they seemed fine. last year, i used the FMJs (fiocchi) and they worked fine. i've got about twenty rounds of the JHPs (dunno what brand) left.
    it just occured to me that these things might have shelf lives and/or maximum storage terms that if exceeded, would compromise safety and/or reliability.

7. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

I know ammo is very expensive in 'pinas, but if they are to be used for self defense you need to be sure they go bang every time. Fiocchi ammo is good. If Sellier & Bellot ammo is available, they have sealant on the primer. What is the headstamp on your JHP ammo?

8. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I once did an experiment like that. Soaked a couple of ammo brands in water, plain in one container and salted on the other. Only the armscor ammo fired after that. Not definitive I know but some didn't fire at all while others popped and squibbed. Be careful with squibs when shooting those soaked ammo.

Best is to have the heads pulled and deprimed and the brass used for reloads.;)