Glock Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Glocked out, have a new SIGness!
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hornady Custom line of 10mm ammo got a boost. The 155 XTP has been taken to 1410 and the 180 is bumped to 1275.

Winchester has also came out with another 10mm SD round. Defender 180 grain bonded bullet at 1240 feet per second.
Bullet Ammunition

It's not nuclear, but its progress in the right direction al!

·
Registered
651 Posts
The problem with published numbers - numbers published by the companies themselves, is inflation. They will list a velocity obtained from a barrel not in common usage, and of course nobody will ever see those kinds of numbers.

As it happens, Hornady's 155gr. was recently tested by Lucky Gunner Labs from a Glock 20 with 4.6" barrel. They recorded a "mean" of 1,344 fps with a low of 1,326 fps, and a high of 1,365 fps. Not terrible performance - around 620 lb-ft of KE.

A few years ago, from my own Glock 20 with 4.6" OEM barrel I recorded Hornady's XTP bullet fired from an Underwood factory load at: 1,524 fps for 800 lb-ft of KE. From my Glock 29 with 3.7" barrel the same load clocked: 1,434 fps for 708 lb-ft of KE. So perhaps Hornady producing a 10mm load with the same bullet that got to within 90 fps of the "short barrel" Underwood load, and 180 fps slower than the Underwood load from the same barrel is cause for kudos...I'm not sure.

From my G20, Underwood's Gold Dot HP 180 grain clocked: 1,335 fps / 713 fpe.

Let me reiterate that these are actual chronograph numbers not what the company published. Were it not for Underwood setting a solid standard all the way up and down the 10mm line, I suspect most "Big Brand" 10mm loads would still be averaging around 550 lb-ft of KE - and many are.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The problem with published numbers - numbers published by the companies themselves, is inflation. They will list a velocity obtained from a barrel not in common usage, and of course nobody will ever see those kinds of numbers.

As it happens, Hornady's 155gr. was recently tested by Lucky Gunner Labs from a Glock 20 with 4.6" barrel. They recorded a "mean" of 1,344 fps with a low of 1,326 fps, and a high of 1,365 fps. Not terrible performance - around 620 lb-ft of KE.

A few years ago, from my own Glock 20 with 4.6" OEM barrel I recorded Hornady's XTP bullet fired from an Underwood factory load at: 1,524 fps for 800 lb-ft of KE. From my Glock 29 with 3.7" barrel the same load clocked: 1,434 fps for 708 lb-ft of KE. So perhaps Hornady producing a 10mm load with the same bullet that got to within 90 fps of the "short barrel" Underwood load, and 180 fps slower than the Underwood load from the same barrel is cause for kudos...I'm not sure.

Let me reiterate that these are actual chronograph numbers not what the company published. Were it not for Underwood setting a solid standard all the way up and down the 10mm line, I suspect most "Big Brand" 10mm loads would still be averaging around 550 lb-ft of KE - and many are.
I have a glock 40 with a 7" KKM barrel. Would be very interested if someone has any chrono info on FPS. and KE.
Thank for all the great info.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
23,404 Posts

The reason the manufacturers numbers are inflated is the length of the test barrels.

Buffalo Bore publishes velocities obtain from real guns both G20's and G29's and 5 inch Colt delta Elites, and Underwood ammo is usually nearly identical to Buffalo Bore.

I think the best defensive load for the 10mm that's come out recently is the Federal 200 grain HST load because even though it's rated at "only" 1130 fps it's a 200 grain HST which is a projectile known for it's ability to both expand and penetrate and hold together.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The reason the manufacturers numbers are inflated is the length of the test barrels.

Buffalo Bore publishes velocities obtain from real guns both G20's and G29's and 5 inch Colt delta Elites, and Underwood ammo is usually nearly identical to Buffalo Bore.

I think the best defensive load for the 10mm that's come out recently is the Federal 200 grain HST load because even though it's rated at "only" 1130 fps it's a 200 grain HST which is a projectile known for it's ability to both expand and penetrate and hold together.
Since my earlier post, I finally got my PRO Chrono DLX . Taking 10 shot Average My results out of a 7" KKM barrel are.

10mm G40

135gr JHP CFE powder 1550 fps
180gr JHP CFE powder 1140 fps
200gr JHP No 9 powder 1246 fps

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Since my earlier post, I finally got my PRO Chrono DLX . Taking 10 shot Average My results out of a 7" KKM barrel are.

10mm G40

135gr JHP CFE powder 1550 fps
180gr JHP CFE powder 1140 fps

Look like some decent numbers there Cpt!
Your 180gr load w/CFE powder, how many grains and what bullet & OAL
I`ve got some Hornady 180gr HAP bullets i haven`t tried yet, your 180gr load intrests me.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts

Do you know what the 200 gr. GD chrono's?

·
Captain USN ret.
572 Posts
The 7" barrel really shines with a slow burning powder like AA9.
With the 7" KKM barrel, 12.8 grains AA9, COAL 1.260", I've got 1285 fps through the CE Pro Chrono at 10' with a 200gr HDY XTP...about 1300 fps MV, and that's well under Hornady's Max load of 13.2 grains.

·
Registered
20,086 Posts
I'm just glad to see the 10mm is still gaining in popularity. :dunno:

·
Registered
38,405 Posts
It's a good step for the major ammo makers to expand their lines to include some more 10mm loads. Hopefully that might stimulate retail sales of loaded ammo (versus handloading), which might further stimulate gun makers to think about expanding 10mm models, either expanding existing ones or adding new ones.

People at S&W have said that one of the reasons it hasn't gotten back into making 10's again is that the annual major ammo maker sales reports haven't indicated there was enough consumer interest in commercial 10mm ammo sales.

Perhaps some of the cautious introduction of new models by other gun companies, and now an increase in attention to defensive 10mm ammo (versus just target or hunting loads) by the big names, will stimulate some further interest.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
It's a good step for the major ammo makers to expand their lines to include some more 10mm loads. Hopefully that might stimulate retail sales of loaded ammo (versus handloading), which might further stimulate gun makers to think about expanding 10mm models, either expanding existing ones or adding new ones.

People at S&W have said that one of the reasons it hasn't gotten back into making 10's again is that the annual major ammo maker sales reports haven't indicated there was enough consumer interest in commercial 10mm ammo sales.

Perhaps some of the cautious introduction of new models by other gun companies, and now an increase in attention to defensive 10mm ammo (versus just target or hunting loads) by the big names, will stimulate some further interest.
Springfield just came out with one. Got some decent reviews on it so far inside of youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOhcdK3kyc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_8Zr5sdGFM

·
Registered
806 Posts
Look like some decent numbers there Cpt!
Your 180gr load w/CFE powder, how many grains and what bullet & OAL
I`ve got some Hornady 180gr HAP bullets i haven`t tried yet, your 180gr load intrests me.
10MM 7" KKM Bl.

CFE Pistol 7.0 gr. For the 180 gr Hornady HAP HP
CCI 300 LP primer
Starline brass
1.258 O.A.L

Nosler 200 gr. JHP, CCI 300 LP primer, Starline brass ,
A-No 9. 11.9 gr.
O.A.L. 1.257

Nosler 135 JHP, CCI 300 LP primer,
Starline brass
CFE Pistol 9.6 gr.
O.A.L. 1.25

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
10MM 7" KKM Bl.

CFE Pistol 7.0 gr. For the 180 gr Hornady HAP HP
CCI 300 LP primer
Starline brass
1.258 O.A.L

Nosler 200 gr. JHP, CCI 300 LP primer, Starline brass ,
A-No 9. 11.9 gr.
O.A.L. 1.257

Nosler 135 JHP, CCI 300 LP primer,
Starline brass
CFE Pistol 9.6 gr.
O.A.L. 1.25

Thanks Cpt! I`m gonna load some up and try them!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I recommend starting out with a lighter load and work up.

BTW the 200 gr. Nosler shot the tightest group and recoil was not bad at all.

Thanks Cpt, sure will. Been reloading MANY decades, better safe than sorry. I always start low.
Yeah i`m gonna try some noslers... never bought many in the past, little spicy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.