Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report!

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by NitLion, Oct 17, 2015.

1. NitLion

NitLion

The air finally has that bite to it that makes you realize the season is coming...... where weather may affect how often you go to the range. So I wanted to get my P229 out one more time before the snow flies!
    Normally, when I get a new load, the P229 gets first dibs, but these three loads I had all shot in other pistols earlier. The first load up was Vet-Made Ammunition - 124g - FMJ. This stuff does not play well with Sigs it seems. It did not shoot spectacularly out of my Sig 2340 or my P226. No difference with The P229. It was almost painful to bring myself to snap this picture:

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 1.jpg

That's 12 shots at 14 yards:ack: .....and it looks like a scattergun! The funny thing is, it really shot well thru the Sigma (from a report about six weeks ago):

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 2.jpg

This is why I sorta hate to bash ammo. It might shoot OK in one gun but not another....or maybe you just got an odd bad run. Needless to say, shooting steel at longer distances (with this load) yesterday was only frustrating! I had one failure to fire with this also!

The next load I ran was Highland Lakes Ammo - 124g - FNCP (RL). I have had great luck with this ammo! The first six shots at 14 yards!

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 3.jpg

It was nice to be grouping again..... and when I hit steel at 18 yards, I couldn't pull myself away until I emptied the whole mag on it:

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 4.jpg

Odd light there with the sun in spots and dark in spots.....
    I don't think I even missed steel with the Highland Lakes. Here is a gong at 24 yards:

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 5.jpg

No failures of any kind with HL! The third and last load for the day was Farrar Ballistics - 125g - TMJ (RL). I was interested in what this load would do, as it is one of the more affordable loads out there! It seemed to choke in the Sigma a lot....but I tend to get a lot of failures to feed in the Sigma. Well, it ran without a hitch in the 229! No failures at all. As for accuracy, it did ok. Let me put it this way.....four shots were Highland Lakes and every fifth shot was Vet-Made. At 14 yards:

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 6.jpg

That's like 10 shots... so the other two are far afield. Same with steel at 18 yards - you could hit it....for the most part....

Ammo is weird.... P229 - a range report! pic 7.jpg

I think that was 9 or ten hits out of 12....

7,891 rounds -357Sig - thru this gun now representing 121 loads
    236 rounds - 40 S&W

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018