close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ammo in Sarasota/Venice, FL area

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by skyparker, Mar 22, 2010.

1. skyparker

skyparker SkyMan

I'm flying to Sarasota next month and taking my G27, db380 and PA-63.

Am planning to shoot at a couple of ranges in the area but only wanting to travel with a few mags worth of SD ammo.

I can probably find 9mm and .40cal for the G27 at WalMart or elsewhere. (Yes, I have a G26 barrel to drop-in)

Anyone know of a store in the area that might have .380 and 9X18Mak?

2. skyparker

skyparker SkyMan

Bump up for a little help....anyone? anyone? Ammo in Sarasota/Venice area... :mememe:

3. Seawolf

Seawolf

Um, yeah good luck. lmao

If you are counting on walmart for your ammo needs then be prepared to be let down. You will probably find plenty of .40S&W, but 9mm is spotty at best. Walmart started importing 9mm from Switzerland recently and it's $17 for 50 rounds. They can't get the distributors to send them anything so they are having to go overseas and import it at a high cost.

4. G19Pistolero

G19Pistolero

What he said ^^^ it's hit and miss at SW Florida Wally-Worlds...u could try Sports Authority as well but same deal...of course your local gun shops will have something at a high price for sure...

-J.-

5. Small Tony

Small Tony

I live in Sarasota/Venice area. The walmarts around here usually have .40 cal in stock but you will never find .380 I can almost promise you that. There are local gun shops that will have .380 but of course at a higher price than walmart.

If you need a couple of gun ranges to go to or names of gun shops near where you are staying send me a PM.

6. gnepig

gnepig Remember

I live in Bradenton/ Sarasota, I buy ammo at Walmart= ain't seen any 380 around here in way over a year. Finally seen some 9mm last week, first in a long while= it didn't last long. Seems to always be 40 S&W and .357 Sig.
    Found some 380 yesterday at a local gun shop= for 3 times the normal amount.
    Hope you enjoy your stay, we have some nice ranges here, altho I haven't been to Nights Trail yet (in Venice). Take Aim in Sarasota is a cool joint, it's an indoor range. They rent guns and they sell ammo= we like goin there.

7. G19Pistolero

G19Pistolero

To the OP...if you are looking for a fun place to shoot and don't mind the drive down to Punta Gorda (not bad from Venice)...the Cecil Webb outdoor range in the Babcock area is quite good...

http://myfwc.com/docs/Safety/CecilWebb_brochure.pdf

I was there last Saturday and very impressed with the whole setup...

-J.-

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  8. Speedyfish

Speedyfish

9. skyparker

skyparker SkyMan

MANY thanks for the range tips...I did find the "Take Aim" range info online.

Anymore tips from locals for ammo in the area would be helpful... 9x18Mak and 40cal. Yes, I'll be checking the Wal Marts, too.

I may be taking a trip towards Orlando for a day at the Magic Kingdom. Not planning to carry in the park. Any neat gun shops up that way?

10. Small Tony

Small Tony

The WalMart Supercenter in VENICE almost 90% of the time have .40 caliber and every couple days has 9mm.

I shoot at Knights Trail in Venice. It is an outdoor range. If your looking for indoor range I'd have to go with Take Aim...I think you have to pay a $15 membership fee to shoot there then $10 for the day at Take Aim...

And +1 on the Punta Gorda range.

I haven't seen ANY .380 ammo at any of the Wal-marts. There is a pawn shop in North Port (basically venice) called Paradise Pawn that usually has .380 in stock at a price that matches wal marts.

11. gnepig

gnepig Remember

Quote:
    "I may be taking a trip towards Orlando for a day at the Magic Kingdom. Not planning to carry in the park. Any neat gun shops up that way?"

There is a Bass Pro Shop in Orlando, never been there but I hear it's awesome.
    Another range we go to when we can is Manatee Gun and Archery. It's about 20 miles east of I75 on SR64, then turn left on Logue RD. It's a great big place with everything from a large pistol range to a 1000 yard range, even has a machine gun range way over in the back (it's called Area 51)= great place!

12. skyparker

skyparker SkyMan

Thanks for the input....Am familiar with BassPro. We have one here in town and the main BP mother ship is just north of us in Springfield. They usually have decent ammo prices.

Will check out the Knights Trail range, too. Sounds like a nice place.

13. Apetrulis01

Apetrulis01

If you are going to Orlando go to Shoot Straight. I use to work for them in College and they have an indoor range and always have a good supply of 9mm, 40, and 45 range ammo. Might even have some .380 lying around.

They are on the internet, find the phone number and give them a call. You don't have to be a member to shoot there, just so up and pay the range fee. If you buy ammo there they even take some money off the range fee. First class operation.

Adam

14. skyparker

skyparker SkyMan

I just learned that there is a gun show in Tampa at the fairgrounds on April 17th and 18th...Anybody have a "gotta see it" or "stay away" comment? Real crowded? Any deals to watch out for? (good or bad)

I read that you can't CC at the show, but I think that's how most shows are these days.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010