Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using 124 gr. +P Winchester PDX1.
A friend told me I should go up to 147 gr.
Is the difference significant to warrant this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
The pdx1 will be good, I'd see no need to go up to 147gr. I carry my g19 loaded with Federal 115gr +p+. My wifes 19c is loaded with the pdx1 124gr +p.

·
Banned
55 Posts
147 sucks in 9mm. Why would you want a subsonic round?

Out of the big three, these are the only grains that you should use.

115 - 127 9mm (+P, +P+)

135 - 155 .40 S&W

165 - 185 .45 ACP

·
Registered
211 Posts
About the best results in shooting would be from the bullet weight in 9mm 115-127gr opinions vary but for me its the hottest thing I can get I carry 124gr Speer Gold Dot which has a street rep my load is a +P+ loaded by this company www.buffalobore.com I also have on hand 115gr +P+ you can go with Corbon JHP 115gr +P it is a +P+ moving at 1350fps Corbons insurance will not cover them for +P+

You may want to look at this test and many other test from this guy. I always say all bullets are lethal some more than others. This is a Winchestar PDX1 9mm test and it failed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-HktsSKV6Q

Now take a look at my signature on the bottom of this page and really pay attention to the last part.

·
"The Sarge"
758 Posts
All of the various modern 9mm premium JHP loadings can work very well or fail at times. Your choice in ammo depends on your applications and how it functions in your pistol. Your choice should also be guided by what ballistic theory you ascirbe to and above all you must have confidence in your ammo. Go to Winchester's site and check out the LE section along with Speer/Federal's LE site at www.le.atk.com and draw your own conclusions. Though hated on the internet the 147gr 9mm loading is #1 with mainstream LE for those departments that use 9mm. When I carry 9mm it is with 147gr Federal HST. Bill

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
147 sucks in 9mm. Why would you want a subsonic round?

Out of the big three, these are the only grains that you should use.

115 - 127 9mm (+P, +P+)

135 - 155 .40 S&W

165 - 185 .45 ACP
Please cite your testing results/source.

FB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyones input.
I will study some more, and try to make the most informed decision I can.
I was carrying the Hornandy Critical Defence 115 gr. I heard good thing about the PDX1, so switched to the bigger round.
I am very interested in the Speer rounds, and will probably give those a good look as well.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I appreciate everyones input.
I will study some more, and try to make the most informed decision I can.
I was carrying the Hornandy Critical Defence 115 gr. I heard good thing about the PDX1, so switched to the bigger round.
I am very interested in the Speer rounds, and will probably give those a good look as well.
Here's some light reading for ya, if you haven't had a chance as of yet.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=270

FB

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The round your using is a fine defensive round and their is really no need to change. Yes their are some great 147gr. rounds out there now like the Federal 147gr. +P. But with a well designed bullet thir are good performing 115gr., 124gr., and 147 gr. loads. The only reason to change is if you find the 147gr. bullets to function better in your pistol or are easier for you to shoot more accurately. I prefer the middle weights in their +p or +P+ form. But other weights in good designs work fine.
The bottom line is you've selected a good bullet. Find a round such as the Winchester 124gr. NATO rounds that imitate the PDX's ballistics and practice. Get good with your weapon and it will see you through about anything. Training and tactics are far more important than bullet type.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I prefer the HST 147gr regular or +p or the 124gr +p Gold Dot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_cJEDxxEI
That video sold me on the 147gr HSTs. My research has concluded that they expand super reliably to those dimensions, Ive seen it repeated by abunch of people and websites.

He also has plenty of other videos and the Gold Dot 147gr performs terribly and I wouldnt consider it for SD use and it seems to get the kind of performance people complain about here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5aGOjyV6CU I mean its better than a fmj but nothing like its 124gr +p brotherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxJ8PIkM5_w

PDX1 is the non bonded bullet right? It should perform similar to the hst

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
PDX1 is the non bonded bullet right? It should perform similar to the hst.
The PDX1 is a bonded bullet (like the Ranger Bonded from Winchester) The HST is non bonded.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The PDX1 is a bonded bullet (like the Ranger Bonded from Winchester) The HST is non bonded.
Yea I didnt remember if the PDX was bonded or the DPX. Im not really into CorBon but they do get decent reviews.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The DPX from Corbon is a solid copper bullet.(Barnes I think) From the tests I've seen they seem to do very well and are very consistant. They are on the light side though.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just got in my Win Ranger Bonded 147 gr for my G19.

Better (no-bump feeding) profile than Gold Dots and less muzzle flash. Deep penetration.

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
I prefer 124-grain weight ammo for 9mm (the weight that caliber was originally designed for) but recently bought some Federal 135-grain Tactical Bonded +P that I'm anxious to test.

Whatever ammo you decide on stick with Federal, Speer, or Remington and you'll do just fine. Read as much as you can and consider everyone's opinion while you test different ammos in your pistol and eventually you'll decide on one or two particular rounds. There is no one best round.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts