Ammo for 10/22

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Truffle8Shuffle, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

I'm looking to buy some .22lr online since I can't find any at the Walmarts around here and don't want to over-pay at the gun stores. So what shots best in your 10/22's?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Pretty much anything.

3. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

The Federal Value Pack ammo shoots fine through mine. Blazer is okay, but isn't 100% reliable.

4. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

This is what I'm hoping. But I've heard from a few other 10/22 owners that they have had some trouble with different ammo.

What kind of problems have you had with the Blazer? I've only shot some Winchester through mine without issues. I've heard nothing but good things about the Federal.

5. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I've only shot federal bulk pack, and CCI mini mags from mine, and both shoot perfectly fine out of my 10/22...

6. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

When I finally got mine running, it would shoot fine, but the groups were about 6" at 25yards with Federal and Winchester bulk packs.

I does seem to like Golden Bullets and Thunderbolt a little more. I wasn't going to waste any CCI in it.

Unfortunately, you'll just have to experiment. Ruger QA is so shoddy, things apparently vary from unit to unit.

You can get a couple boxes of everything at a place like MidwayUSA and go from there.

7. Reb 56

Reb 56

Winchester Power Points are the most accurate in my 10/22 mini mags are a close second, both funtion 100%.

8. XDRoX

XDRoX

9. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

CCI Mini-mag, Stingers and Sub-Sonic work best for me. Win Wildcats are ok too.

Fed American Eagle and some cheap Rem drop lots of gummy residue in the magazine and start causing problems feeding.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

.22LR bulk ammo is cheaper than cheap, so the quality suffers. Most of the malfunctions are attributable to the ammo and not the gun.

11. Truffle8Shuffle

Truffle8Shuffle

Thanks for all the great replies! I guess I'll just have to buy a few boxes of a few brands and go the old trial and error route.

12. omega48038

omega48038

Most .22s are notorious for being picky about ammo, even between the same make and model of gun. You have to find the ammo that YOUR 10/22 shoots well. I've got two MKIIs that are very similar, one likes Federal, the other likes MiniMags.

13. hometheaterman

hometheaterman

I've shot mainly bulk packs. For some reason my 10/22 stove pipes every few rounds with the Federal 550 round value packs. It seems to really like the Winchester Xperts and Winchester 333 value packs though. I tried the Federal's in both the factory and aftermarket magazine. I don't know what it is but it stovepipes every few of shots when using it. I usually get 2 or 3 stovepipes in a 10 round magazine with the Federal stuff. Others seem to have great luck with the Federal's though.