Ammo does make a difference in accuracy.....

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by GSD/G23, Mar 9, 2010.

1. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

I AM NOT A HIGHLY SKILLED RIFLEMAN, NOR DO I PLAY ONE ON T.V.

The snow has finally melted and the temps are above average so I thought I'd take my rifle to the range for the first time since late September.

This may not be the right place to post this but I'm trying to make a point about the accuracy of different types of ammo in like calibers. So, here goes: All shots were from my Savage Model 12 BVSS, bipod, shot from seated position at the bench. Todays weather: seventy degrees with 5-10 mph winds.

100 yards Cold bore, four rounds of .223 Remington bulk ammo.
    [​IMG]

This is my second 100 yard group of four rounds of some Georgia Arms percision rifle ammo from the gun show: 60gr V Max bullets. Uh, one kinda got away from me.
    [​IMG]

Things seemed to be going well so I tried another group of the above mentioned loads again at 100yards:
    [​IMG]

So now things are really going well, at least at my modest skill level. I decided to move out to 200yrds with these 60gr V Max rounds:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Ok, all that to say this. My Savage really seems to like these heavier 60gr V Max loads. The only problem is I don't know what kind of powder or how many grains! All the box tells me is bullet type and 3100fps. The next gun show I'll try to ask the Georgia Arms guys, I'd really like to make some of these loads up. Although come to think of it, a box of fifty was only $29!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. fredj338

fredj338

Not only does ammo make a diff, handloaded ammo will cut those groups 75%! If you shoot a rpecision rifle, you will never see it do it's best until yo uhandload for it. Even primers can make s significant accuracy diff.
    Handgun ammo too. I bought some alum blazer ammo for my 1911 for a class. The best I could do w/ it was just under 4" @ 15yds. The same gun will shoot equiv handloads under 1 1/2" @ 15yds. SO yeah, ammo makes a diff in accuracy.

3. Eagle22

Eagle22

Buy some match grade ammo for your .223 and see how that does and compare.

4. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I used to roll 124 grain FMJ over 4.9 grains of Unique for my Taurus PT99 in the early 90s. That was my IPSC load. I don't remember what I used for 125 grain lead loads but it was close enough for practicing with. But the 124 FMJ just kicked it's butt so bad that I used it for competition.

Not that cost effective verses factory ammo given that it was like $6 vs $8 per 50 factory ammo to load but the resulting accuracy was well worth it. So I got to save 2 bucks and got a better shooting round.

5. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

I'm gathering material and load info for the .223 now so hopefully I will be loading my own in a couple of weeks. I currently reload for my pistols (.45acp) now but I'm getting ready for .223 and .308.

I have trouble finding any thing similar to match grade in .223 around here. I've discovered that this rifle likes the heaviest bullets to the lighter ones.
    I didn't think about it while at the range yesterday but I should have gotten out the Lead Sled to determine just how accurate these 60gr V MAX rounds are. I was so happy about the decent groups I was shooting off the bipod. I really wished I had thought of the sled!

Hey,I just noticed, this is my three - hundredth post. It only took five years! :smoking:

6. Scott30

Scott30

I shoot 55 grain bullets over 25g of Varget in my 16" RRA. Have it set up for coyote hunting. It shoots 1.25" groups at 100 yards with the load. Close enough for me and gets the job done.

7. GSD/G23

GSD/G23

Varget is one of the powders I've picked up to try. I'll try a few in 55 and compare the performace against the 60gr V MAX in this model 12.

Question: Is you RRA a heavy target barrel? It sounds like it may not be. That's good shooting on your part. I'm shooting a target barrel bolt action and just getting the 1.25 - 1.50 groups!

I did shoot a .75" group at 100 yards with this rifle a couple of years ago but that was with a lead sled holding it steady and me pulling the trigger.

8. N/Apower

N/Apower

Yep, it sure does. Especially when you move out to 200+ yards. I had some Q3269 M855 that was shooting roughly 3MOA at 200y and some PPU M855 that shot under 2MOA at that distance. 10 shot groups only.

I did shoot some 75gr TAP T2 and at 100 yards with a cross-wind and a lot of mirage managed 1.1MOA for 5 shots. This from a 1/9 twist barrel that may not have preferred it.

AR's are fun :)