close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ammo ?--american eagle box w/ nato, FC, and 98 headstamp-- ?surplus M882?

Discussion in 'The Niner's Club' started by kmrcstintn, Jan 28, 2005.

1. kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn

I work part time at a Dunahm's Sports. I recently did a handgun ammo inventory and showing a less gun saavy employee the differences between brands and crimp styles on the target rounds. I opened 3 American Eagle boxes labeled 124 grain FMJ and the headstamps indicated 1998 production run by Federal Cartridge with the NATO cross in circle stamp. I snagged these 3 boxes recently hoping to have NATO + P FMJ as a SHTF penetrator load.

Is this stuff MILSPEC SURLPUS or GOVT TESTING REJECTION LOAD? If it's not up to spec, I'll just use it for cannon fodder and get some GECO when I get a chance.

How can I get NATO M882 or reliable equivalent without buying massive amounts? I only want 4 boxes...2 blaster, 2 keeper

;9 ;d :soap:

BTW: Gen 1 Glock 17 factory rebuild; 10 round mags x 3;
    17 round mags x 3

2. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Was the ammo actually in the Federal American Eagle box? Nothing on the side label indicating something else? Did you check all of the ammo to insure its all headstamped with the same date & NATO symbol?

Military and NATO ammo usually have a circular primer stake and a primer sealant(usually red). Does yours have these? No chance that they may have been reloads slipped into the ammo stock by mistake?

It just may be that you have some Federal NATO rounds that were packaged into commercial boxes and sold as standard 9mm 124gr FMJ stuff. If you want a "for sure" answer, try contacting Federal/ATK online at "Ask the Expert". Give them the lot number off the box and they should be able to figure out if they packaged NATO ammo in the wrong boxes. If they look like factory manufactured ammo (primer ring stake and primer sealant), then you probably have the real "McCoy".

Every now and then you might find someone selling a box or two of the NATO stuff. you can get some of the Federal stuff at Ammoman.com, but I think you have to buy minimum 500 rnds. Price isn't all that good either.

Let us know what you find out after examining your ammo. I'd be interested in knowing some answers to the above questions.

Leon.

3. kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn

All 3 boxes worth are headstamped exactly the same "FC" "98" "Nato Cross in Circle"; box flaps state exactly "9mm LUGER AUTOMATIC PISTOL 124 GRAIN FULL METAL JACKET" Part code# AE9AP; All 3 boxes have same lot number, all 3 boxes are Dunham's date coded from July & August 2002 shipped to our particular store #.

I will go to ATK/Federal website and try to get a response. Thank you for your information.

4. kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn

I had someone do a physical inspection at the range today...they were reloads...all functioned...not much recoil...probably standard pressure stuff someone stuck in some boxes a while back...they're all gone...no more wondering

5. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Well, that wraps up that mystery! :)

6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Mental note... Do not buy from Dunahm's Sports because they tried to pass reloads as new factory ammo.

7. gwhuntr

gwhuntr Glocked&Locked

I shoot American Eagle 124 gr for practice too but not going to buy it from Dunham's.
    Looking @ ammo there one day & the same exact stuff I pay $7.99 anywhere else was marked $14.99.
    Only saw one female working the register so I didn't even bother to ask.

8. kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn

I don't think Dunham's did it intentionally, the stuff got into the system somehow, somewhere, sometime and a lot of the kids that work there are not educated enough to recognize that they were reloads;P

9. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Millennium Member

I bought some Win USA 115 FMJ ammo at WalMart in the 50 round boxes (not Value Pack). The brass had the NATO headstamp. I emailed Win and asked about it, said they had some extra NATO brass, used it in some lots of USA ammo, it was _not_ NATO ammo. Extra? Probably the brass was good enough to use, but didn't make NATO QC specs, sumthin' like that.

So... just cause it has a NATO headstamp/brass does not mean it is made to NATO specs or extra, reclassified, etc NATO ammo. That stuff Fed usually marks XM882, sumthin' like that. ;b

10. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

They may have had to use brass that was on hand because of a big fire at the brass mill. It happens about once a year, thats why they have their own full time Fire Department.

11. kurls1800

kurls1800

Cant reload .45 acp with FC98, headstamp, primer pocket slightly under size. Just enough to gum up the works.

12. hrt4me

hrt4me Millennium Member

This confirms what I discovered this afternoon loading 500 rounds of .45 ACP; I had approximately 20 pieces of brass with FC98 headstamp, and the fired primers either would not deprime all the way from the case, or the new primer would not seat properly. Now in addition to "Win NT" brass with small primer pockets, I also have to cull out FC98 headstamps...