Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say, I am far from an expert on sights, or really anything guns. I enjoy shooting and now enjoy working on my Glocks. I hope to take a GSSF armory course in the near future. I've used the Glock 19 OEM Gen 4 sights for 4-5 years now. We have two 19s actually, one for me and one for my wife. I bought the TFX for me and the I-Dot for her, but you know how those things can go. Since changing the sights on a couple of my rifles, I have now ventured into the pistol realm. I used a ncstar-vism-universal-rear-sight-tool, a Skinner 3 sided file, and an Ameriglo front sight tool for installation. A dot of blue locktite was used on the front sight screws, but I later learned I may not have waited long enough for it to cure before securing it to the sight. I can fix it if I have to. Both 19s are held together in a cushioned vise.

IMG_1582.jpg
The Ameriglo is on the left and stayed in that position for all photographs. Neither Glock was in the mood for smiling. You can see with overhead lighting the rear fiber optics are much brighter--that's what they are designed to be. I suspect on a bright day on the range, or elsewhere, the sight picture will be striking. The single dot on the Ameriglo rear sight, does have tritium (both do) and in a later image taken in the dark you will see it.

IMG_1579.jpg

Note the square rear opening on the Ameriglo and the curved, more narrow bottom on the TFX (right). The blue tool on the left, sitting on a former yoga mat, is
IMG_1578.jpg

You can see the TFX (top) sight radius is about a 1/2" shorter. Also, note the angle on the muzzle end of the rear TFX sights are designed to better accommodate a one handed slide pull.

IMG_1586.jpg

The Ameriglo front sight (left) has a brighter and larger circle; it also has a about a 1/2mm thinner blade (assuming I measured them accurately). The left sight is also more reddish. You can also see the TFX fiber optic with a tritium base has a larger diameter than the tritium only on the Ameriglo.

IMG_1583.jpg

Without any light the tritium seems to light them up about equally in this picture (Ameriglo on left), but to my eye, the TFX was just a bit brighter--but this was not a controlled assessment. Even my head position could have influenced my perception. Moreover; the dark test is fairly useless. You never will be shooting without seeing your target, although someone out there will have a good exception. I found that in dim lighting in which I was using a flashlight to illuminate the wall, the TFX seemed a bit brighter but preferred to use the shadowy outline of the sights to get a sight picture in that setting. In all fairness I did not give my eyes time to adjust to make a fair comparison of the tritium lamps or their usefulness in dim lighting. I didn't have the time to do this but perhaps someone else can set up or share a comparison with various light intensities.

How all these differences play out for me on the range, remains to be seen. I have no idea about point of aim comparisons with these two sets of sights, or speed of acquiring a sight picture, etc. It seems preferences for these two sights will depend on how they mostly will be used and lots of individual differences.

One good point, installing your own sights is rewarding and time saving, although I later got a bit obsessive in centering the rear sights on the slide. The images here were taken before I tinkered with this centering, so if you see something looks off, don't worry, I think I got it.

Once I get a chance to shoot with these sights for awhile, I will be adding to this post.

Attachments

·
Consummate Reloader
1,337 Posts
I like a black rear blade so the TruGlo wouldn't work for me. I have the I-Dot but haven't shot it much in well lit conditions, mostly just in the dark where it performs very well for me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In the for "what's it worth department", I like Ameriglo's CAP Front sight in Square LumiGreen Tritium coupled with a Pro Serrated non-Tritium Rear. For those watching at home that would be:

A GL-212-GR-Q Front sight

And for the rear: If you've got a G17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39

You would buy a GL-405L Rear.

And if you got a G20, 21, 29, 30, 31, 32, 36, 40, 41

You would buy a GL406L Rear

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Thanks for the good write up and photos MadCityJack. I have the I Dot Pros with the green luminescent front sight on my G26 and have not yet installed a second set on my G21. I shoot tight groups with the OEM sights on the G21 and just don't know how they could be any better. The I Dots improved my shooting with the G26.
One good point, installing your own sights is rewarding and time saving, although I later got a bit obsessive in centering the rear sights on the slide.
I agree and went through the same "anal" ytical process of centering the sights.

Reactions: MadCityJack

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve gone with the Ameriglo iDot Pro on my last few Glocks. Love them and can’t beat the price. I prefer the single back sight regardless of the cost.
Tell us about that gun and show a pic of the rear sight. Thanx

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the for "what's it worth department", I like Ameriglo's CAP Front sight in Square LumiGreen Tritium coupled with a Pro Serrated non-Tritium Rear. For those watching at home that would be:

A GL-212-GR-Q Front sight

And for the rear: If you've got a G17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39

You would buy a GL-405L Rear.

And if you got a G20, 21, 29, 30, 31, 32, 36, 40, 41

You would buy a GL406L Rear
Pictures?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the good write up and photos MadCityJack. I have the I Dot Pros with the green luminescent front sight on my G26 and have not yet installed a second set on my G21. I shoot tight groups with the OEM sights on the G21 and just don't know how they could be any better. The I Dots improved my shooting with the G26.
I agree and went through the same "anal" ytical process of centering the sights.
Pictures available?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Pictures available?
These are photos I took a few months ago. This one is with the front green sight charged up and rear tritium.

IMG_0179.JPG

This one is tritium only on both front and rear sights

IMG_0185.JPG

This one is with attached Crimson Trace LG.
IMG_0184.JPG

Reactions: MadCityJack

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glock 19s, gen 4:
Ameriglo Pro sights on left and
TFX Pro on the right. First time shooting other than stock sights.
Top at 7 yards and bottom at 10 yards. This was not a controlled test of these sights. Just a hello. I think I liked the Ameriglo sights a bit more.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts