Ameriglo Ghost Ring Sights vs Trijicon Night Sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by hometheaterman, Feb 18, 2010.

1. hometheaterman

hometheaterman

So I'm not quite ready to purchase a new gun but I'm hoping to in a month or so. Anyway, I've been researching some and I thought I was set on the Trijicon night sights. However, I recently read about the Ameriglo and their ghost ring sights. Which is the better option here? I've never shot a gun with ghost ring sights but I really like the look of them. Honestly I'm not the best shot with open sights. I can hit close to where I want but if I get a 4" group or so I'm doing great. I can't get these super tight groups like a lot of guys. This is with rifles or pistols. However, I do much better with a scope and while the ghost rings aren't a scope they seem to be closer to one. I just have trouble holding the gun still enough to keep the open sights even when shooting.

Which one of these sights is the best choice to go with? One thing I like about the Trijicon's is the place I'd like to buy the gun sells them and will install them for $80 or so. The Ameriglo's would cost $80 or so to purchase and I have no idea what they would cost to have installed.

2. G19aps

G19aps

The value of ghost rings is the almost instant accurate aligned-with-the-eye that you get when you mount a shoulder stock to your shoulder. Obviously handguns don't have shoulder stocks so the value is diminished. I don't know of any agency, military unit, or top competitor that uses ghost rings - but that doesn't mean no one is using them.
    In your case I would go with the Trijicons as that's a good deal. Do you know why you can't get good groups with a handgun? Have you diagnosed a problem with your eyes or maybe your trigger squeeze?

3. hometheaterman

hometheaterman

I don't know why I can't get good groups. I mean I can hit what I'm aiming for. Maybe not the bullseye but if I shoot something like 2 liter drank bottle I can hit it pretty decently. Most of the time. However, I see guys on here post big ragged one hole groups in the bullseye and I can't do that. I'm lucky to even hit the bullseye once or twice out of a 10-15 round group. I've got a buddy that's a really good shot though and he can shoot groups like you see people post on this site. He tried to teach me a few tricks which helped some but I'm just not the best with open sights. I have a hard time keeping the front sight lined up with the rear one for some reason. I think it's just that I'm not that used to them since 98% of the shooting I do is probably either a shotgun with just a bead or a rifle with a scope where I don't have to worry about having two sights lined up and holding it still like that.

I will say I shot a buddies Ruger MarkII and I was pretty accurate with that at about 10-15 yards. As in shooting the Pepsi logo out of a can. I liked that gun a lot for just target practice. I was shooting off of sandbags though not free handed.

4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I'm in the same boat, looking for good sights, all-purpose, and whatever gives me an edge on hunting. I'm not that great a shot, either. G19aps gave me some good advice yesterday. He seems to know a lot about sights, and training is key. Try meprolight or trijicon, as I don't know anyone using ghost rings, either.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  5. G19aps

G19aps

Well, there's no replacement for off hand shooting if that's what you want to get good at. That Ruger .22 is super accurate and has a decent trigger and is great starting point to perfect your trigger squeeze and sight alignment. My abilities greatly improved when I put a red dot sight on my Ruger .22 and I could see exactly how much I was shaking. Then I just took my time calming down and fighting my hand until it steadied. Take your time breaking the shot. Sometimes it takes me 5 -10 seconds before I'm happy and the gun goes off.
    Unless you have a nerve issue that causes an uncontrollable shake, take comfort in the fact that you WILL become a better shot if you practice with an accurate gun. The training will carry over to a centerfire.
    That attachment from 10mmmofo is a great diagnosing tool as well!

6. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

If guns make you nervous or shaky, drink a bottle of whiskey before hittin' the range...:rofl:
    Thanx, dude! Got that link from another member here, as well. Have seen it several times. I'm a typical low-left low life myself.