close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Military University?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bensmiata, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Bensmiata

Bensmiata

Thinking of taking a MBA online with them, are they reputable? What should I expect?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Why?

Serious question. The answer to your question depends on why you're getting an MBA in the first place.

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It is a private for profit university with a cool name that gives it a touch of reputation. They really seem to be doing a good job at branding themselves.

They have some kick ass graduate certificates in things like Land Warfare, Asymmetrical Warfare and National Security Studies.

As Devildog says the real question is "Why?" If you need such a degree to "check off" a box, it is probably as good as any other choice. If you want to enter the workplace on the basis of an MBA...more doors are opened the more powerful the brand (and thus the alumni network is)

It should also be noted, depending on what you are trying to accomplish, an MBA may not even be the best choice.

4. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

I take classes with AMU. They are nationally & regionally accredited, and a member of an Honors Society. The first class you take is “Foundations of Online Learning”. This is mostly to show you how to take a class online with them. What to expect, where to find resources, navigating the website, etc.

The cost per credit is $250. Most classes are three credits, so usually its $750 per class. They use to send you books, now they only do that if you are overseas. In the US, they have textbooks online (something I hate).

Classes are either 8 weeks or 16 weeks long. In a class typically every week you have an assignment, post a response to a question regarding the week’s assignment and respond to the postings of two other classmates. Depending on the classes there may also be quizzes, tests, midterms, essays, and so on.

They are squared away and outside of the costs and online textbooks, I have no complaints. Of course if you have credit from other colleges and universities, military training, or police training, you want to make sure to send them a transcript of those classes.

If you have any other questions let me know.

5. mwelch8404

mwelch8404

Fully accredited, but Grad School is $300/credit hr. I'm about 1/3 of the way through with my MA in US history with them, currently on hiatus due to cancer, a whole other story.

LOTS of writing, two to four papers (10-40 pages) per 16 week term. One of my last classes had about 2500 pages of "book" reading, not counting the online stuff.

They take it very seriously, not what I'd call a "Diploma Mill."

Edited to add: In the AMU/APU grad schools you pay for all the books, although one of the courses was all "online" and the readings were all supplied.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. NOLA_glock

NOLA_glock Shrug Life

If you're doing it for a promotion, I don't see any reason why not.

7. arclight610

arclight610

I took courses with them throughout my 5 years in the Marine Corps. I racked up 80 something credit hours. They all transferred to the state university I'm going to, so I suppose you could say they are reputable. Not sure about graduate stuff though.

8. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Yeah I'm taking classes for the MBA for the sgts exam. Works. No frills but does the job

9. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Personally I'm never terribly impressed see a resume with an MBA from any place that advertises on TV with a 1-800 number, or offers degree programs online.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

11. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

12. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJl0XuDKSjc"]Everest College Commercial - Hood Variant - YouTube[/ame]

13. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

14. Rabbi

For what it is worth, optics matter. (how things look)

You can defend your situation all you want but if others dont see it that way...you might be fornicated.

For example, there is a stigma attached to the online universities. Again, no level of truth or how you feel about it changes the very real fact...there is indeed a stigma.

Knowing this, there are options. If you really want an online degree, look into a name brand bricks and mortar school. Many of them have online degree programs and some of them are cost competitive with the online only schools.

If you have a degree from U of Phoenix, you cant escape the fact of what you have and how a lot of people feel about it. If you have a degree from real "State U"...even if you did it all online, all people see are the fact you have a degree from real "State U." To me it seems like a no brainer.

If you have a job that requires that box checked off for a promotion, It might be best to take an option that is a combination of fastest, cheapest, easiest. Just be careful that you might one day return to the job market place with such a degree.

15. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Go to AACSB directory, find nearest, cheapest and go that route. Whether online, part time, full time, executive or evening program. If it is AACSB you are good, If its not don't waste your time or money.

16. Glock!9

Glock!9

as of a few years ago most schools only had a partial online course. In order to finish you still had to attend certain classes.
    what is crazy about U of Phoenix is the cost! it isnt cheap!

17. Rabbi

I dont know who has what but some pretty name brand schools have online degrees. Such as some schools in the Texas A&M system, which is among the most brand recognized State schools in the country.

18. USAF96815

USAF96815

Never took classes with them but know plenty of folks who have and they liked the experience and had no issues with them.

There are other options out there. I looked at several and ended going with Thomas Edison State College.

Its a Brick and Mortar school in NJ and has a great online program. There are a ton of Brick and Mortar Schools that are now doing the online thing. That might be an option for you as those tend to be (in my opinion) cheaper than AMU.

Good luck

19. Southmansfield

Southmansfield

I got my MA with AMU back in 2000 and it has served me well, both in and out of the military.
    Enjoyed the classes- hard work but excellent professors.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Penn State has one too, though they've got a bit of a black eye right now.