close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Medical Response

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Joey, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Joey

Joey Millennium Member

Anybody ever work for them??

I've been a EMT-B for 4 years on the VFD & am thinking about trying to get a job with them & see where things go if they take care of there people and don't crap all over ya.

2. TerraMedicX

TerraMedicX

The problem with your question is that AMR is corporate. Therefore, AMR in WY is gonna be different from AMR in other places. For instance, I wouldn't be caught dead working for AMR in Denver, but AMR in Colorado Springs is actually pretty good from what I understand. The one advantage to the corporate structure is that AMR has LOTS of resources, so you'll probably get payed better than most other private ambulance services (but not as well as a good public utility or FD based).

Nate.

3. Victory

Victory

Are your local guys unionized?

4. TerraMedicX

TerraMedicX

*ROFL* Is that a joke? ;z

As far as I know, fire departments are the only unionized EMS providers in Colorado.

Nate.

5. Victory

Victory

Well, i don't know about colorado, but it seems most EMS services in this country lack union representation.

That's too bad since it would probably make it a better profession to work in. Think, people actually getting paid what they deserve and having protection against the tons of lawsuits that get fired at EMS every day.

6. Charlie Fox

Charlie Fox

Out here AMR is huge - in Seattle they pretty much have transports locked up. They pay OK, not great, and still post their cars in different locations instaed of havibng stations. If you're working Seattle you won't be bored, but some areas are slower than others. No unions and WA is a "Right to Work" state - either party can terminate a relationship for whatever reason. I know a lot of guys and gals that work/worked for them and they said it was a good job. :cool: Good luck!

7. gloxter

gloxter

AMR Northern California recently dumped SEIU (Service Employees International) and went with a newly developed union, NEMSA. Line personnell weren't seeing a great benefit from SEIU, as their membership is largely made up of bedpan jockeys and janitors; whereas NEMSA was started up by EMS professionals.

To my knowledge, Contra Costa County AMR (field) employees enjoy the highest salary of any division within the corporationj nationwide. Something to be said for unionized EMS.

:soap:

8. Victory

Victory

A lot to be said for unionized EMS.

Remember the thread not to long ago where the EMT was fired for assisting a police officer who was being attacked?

Wouldn't have lost his job with a union behind him.

It's not a matter of them allowing it, it's a matter of organizing behind the management's back.

9. gloxter

gloxter

:cool: Let me say this: First and foremost, I am a professional firefighter associated with the IAFF, a "122X" Local to be more specific. I am also a proctor for the CPAT (at $25.00/hr.) AND a p/t employee for AMR.

I started my career in EMS at just above minimum wage with a small, private ambulance company. I gave it my best, as I still do; I was paid so little at the time that I received a "raise" when the Federal minimum wage was increased (a benifit of a non-union company). We're talking year 2000, folks. We're talking California. Everyone must pay their dues, particularly if you want a fire career. For the origonal poster of this thread, go for AMR. They have both business and professional standards that are upstanding. The slugs get tossed or quit; the good folks who like the transport side stay; and the one's seeking employment as fire professionals get hired by fire departments/districts. That's a fact. ;f