Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ever take location of plants/manufacturing into consideration when purchasing a gun?

Just curious, because Beretta has a plant In Tennessee and they’ve long had a reputation for hit or miss quality control when it comes to Berettas coming from there.

Supposedly Smith and Wesson will relocate manufacturing to Tennessee within the next few years.

For instance, I’m a Ford guy, but I’d be hard pressed to buy an explorer because it’s produced in their Chicago plant. Years of bad reputation about that plant and its employees.

It would be nice to have a list of gun manufacturers and their Facilities and where they’re located.

Do you ever take this into consideration? For instance, Smith and Wesson has a great reputation for quality and control, and they’ve been making guns in their facilities for years. I’d guess experience had a lot to do with it. I’m just wondering if Beretta’s Tennessee plant will ever come around. They’ve had operations there awhile now but subpar reviews from customers about the hit and miss nature of their machining and quality control.

·
Semper Paratus
29,273 Posts
The best trucks I have owned were all built in Mexico , all my suburbans Tahoes and Avalanches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
No but I firmly believe that the guns of yesteryear were built much much better. Or it might be more accurate to say the budget level options today at least seem so so so much cheaper. Probably due to the fad with polymer now but even budget level wood guns have garbage furniture. I just bought a savage mark ii 22 lr with laminate stock. From reading I understand the stock is actually from Boyds. I have never seen a Boyds stock in person only online. Always coveted them but I can tell you up close they look and feel chincy AH. Guess I should have guessed given the price point. I have a single shot bolt Remington target master 22 that is older than dirt that is twice the quality of the savage in every way. Just seems that’s how guns were then.

·
Semper Paratus
29,273 Posts
Now I did go to the major factories for armor training and I can tell you I was most impressed with the custom shop at the old Remington arms factory in Ithaca New York.
Smith and Wesson's gunsmiths back when they had the third GEN customs were also top-notch

·
Registered
592 Posts
No. I had a S&W Model 17 bought new in '88-90 that left the factory without the forcing cone being cut.
As for Beretta, their factory in TN hasn't been open long in relative terms. I have to check now because I need another M9.
It's all in how they handle the transition. BTDT in the rail industry.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Now I did go to the major factories for armor training and I can tell you I was most impressed with the custom shop at the old Remington arms factory in Ithaca New York.
Smith and Wesson's gunsmiths back when they had the third GEN customs were also top-notch

The old Rem custom shop made outstanding guns. Beautiful rifles that shot the lights out. Dakota Arms was another great shop. I remember walking into their room full of stock blanks and admiring the racks and racks of gorgeous bastogne, walnut, maple, etc. They had some excellent craftsmen and women working in that shop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I do not. In my view, product quality is a function of the acceptable tolerances set by the manufacturer before a product is released to market, rather than where that activity takes place.
The South, while best known for the legacy of slavery, will ironically be the last stand for freedom.
From a Yankee and a long line of Yankees dating back to the mid 1600’s, I agree with that statement. I got the hell out of NY two years ago and I’ll never go back. Upstate, although more closely culturally aligned with Ohio and Pa is held captive policy-wise by the trash politicians from NYC and Albany and have been for many years.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I sometimes take manufacturing location into consideration, but not for quality purposes. The first was my Glock 43. My wife had a Glock 42 and USA was the only option. When the 43 was released, I purposely ordered a USA model sort of as a his and hers pair. The rest of my Glocks are Austrian. All of my Kimbers are from New York. I'd like to add an Alabama model to the mix. Just wanting something different. Nothing more.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
From a Yankee and a long line of Yankees dating back to the mid 1600’s, I agree with that statement. I got the hell out of NY two years ago and I’ll never go back. Upstate, although more closely culturally aligned with Ohio and Pa is held captive policy-wise by the trash politicians from NYC and Albany and have been for many years.

I spent my time in NJ and PA.

Then I moved to the land of milk and honey.

Red clay is my spirit animal.

·
finishes it...
4,319 Posts
when i caught wind beretta was discontinuing m9a1 couple years back i picked one up made out of gallatin that wouldn't decock from left side without exerting extra pressure on lever. part has a plastic sleeve and pretty sure it was out of spec. swapped in a wilson low profile which resolved issue. sorry to read if new location is getting a rep...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I’ve bought a few guns post Covid and all of them have had some minor blemishes. Sig with chatter marks on the FCU. Ruger with a poorly applied oxide finish and a Glock with a tiny bit of the finish missing on the back of the slide where the hole for the extractor plunger spring goes in. It’s not a location issue - right now it’s a labor / demand issue. There is a high demand for guns, companies struggle to find labor and the result is guns leave the factory with cosmetic flaws. I’m sure glock, Sig, and Ruger are just happy they have warm bodies in the factory, even though they have people running machines that are either inexperienced, overworked, or disengaged or a combination of all 3. I’m confident pre Covid these guns would have been flagged by QC

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I wish I could appreciate Made in USA more often, but the majority of times I simply cannot.
As for firearms, it really depends. I'd say the high end market is still pretty impressive. There are some inexpensive US made guns that are actually well made.
It'd seem the mid priced market from 500-1500 is all over the place.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts