close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Bulldog: Any owners?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by williamN, Feb 13, 2007.

1. williamN

williamN

The search function isn't working:sad:

Pics? Advice? Good sites with info? TIA!!

I'll be sending the funds out tomorrow for a female. She will be ready to go on the 26th ( 7 weeks )

2. proactive

proactive

I'm quite familiar with ABs. I caution you to do plenty of research before putting your money down. ABs tend to be high drive, dominant dogs who require a great deal of patience on the part of the owner. Obedience training by an experienced trainer will be mandatory, as will daily exercise and lots of early socialization.

That said, the AB is as loyal as they come, and an excellent companion and protector.

3. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

That's right on the head.

Good looking family.

[​IMG]

AB at work

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

4. williamN

williamN

This is the one I am getting.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice. I know about high drive and dominance. I had an APBT for years. He was our family's favorite dog.

5. williamN

williamN

pjrocco,

That's nice that your dog plays with your pig. Looks like they get along fine together:supergrin:

Those are some fine looking dogs.

6. fourrobert13

fourrobert13 I am the law.

This is Tucker, my 2 y/o male American Bulldog.

[​IMG]

7. Jasper007

Jasper007

There was a breeder of AB in Ohio who had one of his dogs chained to a tree (other dogs were kept in kennel).

His son went to play with dog chained to the tree, the boy got tangled up, and the dog panicked and mauled boy to death.

They are great dogs, high drive, and again another dog that can be misunderstood due to the owners mistake.

I highly recommend them+ get them some sort of job (Schutzund would be great).

Jack

8. Amrcn-Bulldogg

Amrcn-Bulldogg

AB's Are the greatest ! I have owned several. They are truly mans best friend !!:thumbsup:

9. pilot996

pilot996

this is ralph house still as a puppy.

[​IMG]

he put on another 25 pounds atleast since this pic. very friendly towards people and animals. all he wanted to do was play and please you and be held. yes, he thought he was a lap dog and had no problem sitting in your lap at any time. he also liked to share a bed with me, but i had a single bed so there wasnt much room wich wasnt a problem for him because he would just push me out of the way until he was comfortable. he loved attention and if you ignored him, he would make this funny chewbacca type sound until you looked at him. it was funny.

we adopted him from a pound when he was about 7 months old they said. we thought he was a pitbull, but the vet said hes more American Bulldog than anything. awesome dog, friendly, and ENERGETIC. he needed entetainment or he would find his own. hes ripped limbs from small trees, he tore off a 10 square foot section of siding off of the house, and he ate a can of sardines, litterally ate the can.

10. Amrcn-Bulldogg

Amrcn-Bulldogg

Her's my girl "Layla" 1& half yrs old

11. Porcinator

Porcinator

This is a picture of our male (white and brindle) @ 7 months of age and a picture of our female (white w/ eye spot) @ 9 months of age. We absolutely love these dogs.

12. Amrcn-Bulldogg

Amrcn-Bulldogg

WOW, ITS GOIN TO BE A BEAST ! NICE AB: rock:

13. Porcinator

Porcinator

This is the female.

14. Porcinator

Porcinator

I appreciate the compliment; we sure do love that little guy. Our clearly biased opinion is that he is going to be a real stud, too. I have to say that all of you have some beautiful dogs. I don't think there is anything quite like a good AB (that's probably both a good and a bad thing).

15. SGTCAP

SGTCAP

I have an american bulldog mix that we rescued from the pound. He's a great dog, a little skittish around new people though. I think he was abused when he was a pup. He is a big troublemaker though. He's torn up all sorts of stuff. I left a bowl of taco meat on the counter once. He ate the 2 pounds of meat and the plastic bowl it was in. He is an escape artist as well. I have to keep him crated when I'm gone or he WILL get loose. The cops have even brought him home once.

16. Porcinator

Porcinator

Our little guy took first in conformation @ an American Bulldog show in TX, this weekend. This is a picture of him crashing on the floor the motel room that night.

17. cutler686

cutler686 10-12

Apologize for my ignorance but what exactly is an American Bulldog?
    Is it like a Boxer-bulldog mix, a mastiff-bulldog mix?

I am asking because I like the dogs but don’t see many of them around “my neck of the woods”.
    I just went to the akc.org website and the dog isn’t there.

18. cutler686

cutler686 10-12

19. williamN

williamN

She is 9 weeks old.

[​IMG]

20. Porcinator

Porcinator

She looks pretty stout for 9 weeks. Are you planning to make a working dog out of her?

Cutler, you have probably figured this out by now, but NKC and ABA are probably the two largest registries for American Bulldogs. I like to think of them as being quite a bit more hardcore than boxers and mastiffs