close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Arms .22 conversion ammo recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ConcealedG23, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

I may be a bit naive in asking this but, why no “hyper” velocity ammo? I don’t see any explanation on their webpage that would indicate the use of such ammo would cause damage to the system. Has anyone ever disregarded the warning and shot hyper velocity stuff? If so, what were your results? I recently got my hands on a kit and was wondering why the restriction. I thought I’d ask here first before contacting the company assuming I will get some canned reply in an attempt to cover them from any liability.

D

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Ive thought of getting one of them coversion kits but just a little to much money for me .... the wife has a Walther 22, that I like to shoot once in a while so that usually cures me on shooting cheap LOL... Id say try some of it and see what happens IMHO dont think it would hurt anything to much to fire a few off???? but really dont know

3. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

My experience: hyper-velocity ammo seems to cycle the slide so fast, the mag spring cannot reliably push the ammo stack fast enough to correctly place the top round in the feed lips.

A Ruger or Buckmark DOES give you bargain shooting for about the same price as an AA conversion kit. Many people, I among them, just simply LIKE the idea of shooting cheap 22 ammo out of a Glock frame. Small kids seem to get a big hoot out of shooting manageable ammo out of a GLOCK, rather than a "conventional" 22 handgun. Tough to explain why it is worth the hassle of a conversion kit, but there it is!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I've been using Remington Golden Bullets out of mine. No issues. my AA kit even fired 3 rounds that my Ruger wouldn't

5. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

Good to know. I'll put some Rem GB on the shopping list. So far I've put 100 rounds of some 38gr high velocity American Eagle stuff that I picked up for cheap. It's performance was less than desirable. It's not on the recommended list so I didn't have real great expectations. It is high velocity and 38gr so I was hoping it would work. On to the next one I guess. Thanks for the input.

D

6. High Altitude

High Altitude

Mine runs great on golden bullet also.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

No problem. I have a bulk box of Federal that isn't recommended by AA, but figured I would try it out since I have it. I bought it before I had the AA kit to use in my Ruger. Figure if it doesn't work properly, the Ruger will eat it. It eats anything.

8. Dave.1

Dave.1

I would guess that the hyper-velocity ammo would put more stress on the aluminum slide. The breech block is strong enough but most alloy slides show wear faster with a more powerful round.

RGBs work well in my kits, even though you get a few duds.

Dave

9. rockhard441

rockhard441

I started off using the Federal Auto Match which AA recommends and it is very reliable, however I had a box of the CCI I have been using in my 22 Winchester rifle which AA also recommends, so I put several mags of that through my Glock 17 and I actually had better accuracy with it. It felt like it ejected better than the Federal. Haven't run any of the Remington yet.

10. chemboy

chemboy

I've had very good luck with Remington Golden bullets in my G20/21 AA conversion kit.
    Approximately 5000 rds with maybe a dozen failures? Not bad for a rimfire, IMO.

11. Dave.1

Dave.1

One thing you might want to consider as you get up there in rounds is a spring change.

I have one kit with over 12K rounds thru it and another with over 5K. I clean the striker channel every 1K rounds but started getting light strikes on the 12K (only about 8K when I noticed it) got a spring kit from AA and back to normal.

The kit they sell is cheaper than buying springs separately and shipping was very fast.

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/me...oduct_Code=GLKSpringKit&Category_Code=GKParts

Dave

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  12. chemboy

chemboy

Thank you, Dave.
    I just placed an order for that kit! :cool:

13. Dave.1

Dave.1

Glad to help. :thumbsup:

Dave

14. Unk

Unk

American Arms and Advantage Arms..are they the same product and/or company?

I have an Advantage Arms bought with my used 26...runs like a fine watch.

Just curious about names/ownership confusion.

15. Dave.1

Dave.1

I just figured the OP meant Advantage Arms.

Hope that was right.

Dave

16. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

well both are AA...so I will go with Advantage Arms, because I've never heard of American Arms.

17. ConcealedG23

ConcealedG23

Don't I feel like a heel. I ment Advantage Arms.

D