close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

American Airlines Screwed Up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Phaze5ive, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/05/business/la-fi-0506-golden-ticket-20120506

'Unlimited' and 'Lifetime' should never be used in combination when your business has real material costs :supergrin:

It's a 3-page article, so TL;DR version:

Few decades ago, AA offered unlimited, lifetime flight passes for $350,000. Some people bought them and used the **** out of them. Now AA is trying to find legal reasons to revoke them or sue the purchasers.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Sometimes corporate entities make "lifetime" deals, and most don't have a clue (none of us really do) about how the financial winds are going to change down the road.

I purchased 2M of term life insurance for a song years ago. Per annum, it cost so little I am sure the insurance company wants me to live for a very long time, since there is almost zero chance in hell I am going to miss a payment!

3. R2D2

R2D2

I don't see them mention how many of those passes were sold that never were used enough to justify the cost thus they were able to pocket the gold.

Funny how they tell you only one side of the story :tongueout:

4. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

They did mention it in a sense.

66 passes were sold in total and AA apparently didn't account for their total usage in the long term.

AA should have asked AT&T and Verizon to helped them define 'unlimited'.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

AA had it program long before "Verizon" came into being, or before the proliferation of cell phones.

Some of those folks were clearly abusing the system - it is people as they who require contracts to have thousands of lines of minutiae.

But how are they (AA) going to sell stuff like this in the future if they don't make it appealing? I am not going to drop $1.5m on a product that is subject to change in drastic ways.

6. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

:shocked:

It was a joke.

:supergrin:

7. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Ironically I'm waiting to board an American Airlines flight to Chicago as I write this. I hate American Airlines with a passion and only flying them because they are partners with Alaska Airlines. American goes out of there way to make life difficult for the passenger.

Last time I flew American I was returning from TX to AK and had a long layover in DFW. I was sick and just wanted to get home so I asked about an earlier flight and was told I could pay $75 to change my ticket but the next flight was full. They said ther was a flight with open seats so I went to that gate, explained the situation and was told it would be $250 plus the change fee to change my ticket. I had already given American Airline way too much of my money so I didn't change my ticket. Rented a vehicle and went to Cabelas in Ft Worth instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. R2D2

R2D2

I am taking it that there are 66 users that got their money's worth of which those two topped the list. They don't say how many passes in total were sold.

I think of it as buying an extended appliance service contract, some end up calling for service issues more then others. (BTW I don't purchase them ever)

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

10. Peace Warrior

Wait.. what I'd like to say was obviously the people that broke the guitars at AA were the ones that got fired from UA after tearing up a guitar there. Ms. Earlwig should have been watching from the airport's restaurant instead of going to eat and leaving the guitar in the hands of the ground crew loading the plane for safe guarding.

NOTE:
    I DID NOT read the story at the link. Heck, I didn't even click on the link. Hope I got close.

11. Peace Warrior

12. Peace Warrior