close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by m2hmghb, Feb 14, 2006.

1. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I'm looking to build a gaming system but I am unsure of which processor chip I should use. I'd like to keep the chip in the 150-350 dollar range. I have all the other specs ironed out.

2. cliffb

cliffb

Generally AMD will give you more bang for the buck.
    I've used AMD for years and just finished a socket 939 AMD64 3700+ system. Works great. I think I paid just over $200 for the processor. For gaming the graphics card will make more of a difference. Get the best you can afford. My graphics card in this system is a Nvidia 7800GT chip set with 256MB of ram.
    A lot of good information at Tom's Hardware Guide web sight.

3. Blue59

Blue59

I would say to get a AMD mobo that supports dual-cores, and get one of the cheaper dual-cores. That way in 18 months or so the upper-end dual-cores (at the moment) will be cheap enough to where you can consider getting one, and still see a big increase in performance.
    Also you would want to get a PCI-3 mobo (video slot at least) as well, for the same reason. There's some passable PCI-e videocards out now, and prices of the top-end ones will fall by about 50% in a year.
    ~

4. pyblood

pyblood

For gaming I say AMD all of the way. I would recommend getting an AMD Athlon 64 with a motherboard that supports PCI Express. I wouldn’t buy any of the socket 754 processors; I would get the socket 939 CPUs. The 3500+ is a pretty good processor from what I have read.

5. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Yep AMD is way ahead of Intel for a gaming rig. If you are going to spend up to $350 on one I would get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

It is the San Diego core 4000+ and has the 1 mb level 2 cache. You could save some and go with the 3700 edition though. While I would get a good mobo that supports dual-core I wouldn't get one yet as no games right now would use it. By the time those games start coming out they will be much cheaper ;)

Check out Tom's Hardware comparison chart:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=241&model2=240&chart=68

Hmm...after checking that out...I would go with the 3700 ;)

Good luck!