close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AMD vs Intel (Please don't hurt me!)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TomSplasky, Feb 4, 2005.

1. TomSplasky

TomSplasky Encase Elegance

Okay, well. I'm in the market for a new uhh... 3D modeling computer... (AKA Gaming)

Considering buying from http://www.cyberpowersystem.com

Now, right now I'm running a Intel P4 2.4

The box I'm looking at assembling has an AMD Athlon64 3500+ (Because I need to save as much money as possible) which is 2.2ghz.

I know it's going to be better when I put the Geforce 4 256meg card into it, but will the AMD 2.2 actually clock better than my P4 2.4? I went with 949 pin if it makes any difference, I have no clue what my current one is.

2. pyblood

pyblood

The AMD 3500+ is actually a 939pin CPU. Your 2.4 P4 has 478 pins. From what I have seen the Athlon 64 line looks real good. When it comes to gaming/value you really can't beat AMD. I am actually looking at building an AMD 3500+ rig with PCI Express as soon as more serial ATA II hard drive become available.

Why not build your own system from scratch. It's easy, and you can have complete control over what components you'll have in your system. If you have any questions we're here to answer them, and there is tons of help on the web.

The 2.2GHz 3500+ is a good processor, and because you choose socket 939, you'll have more expansion over socket 754 and socket A.

www.newegg.com is a great starting point. I recommend getting 1GB of dual channel memory, at least an 80GB SATA hard drive, and a DVD burner.

3. TomSplasky

TomSplasky Encase Elegance

I'm going nuts with this PC, I don't know yet. :p

4. Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS Typical Gun Nut Millennium Member

Could just be my bad luck (and I am willing to admit that!), but I have had 2 AMD processors burn up in a Linux server... I am sure it was the motherboard, as the second time it was toast as well. Computers I have built with Intel motherboards and P4s have lasted since I built them...

I realize that this is very little evidence to say that AMD was at fault, just left a bad taste in my mouth... I may again try AMD, but for now, I am sticking with Intel stuff...

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

There was a bug in one of the Athlon MP Tyon boards.I had better luck with Asus.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The AMD procs have been changing quickly in recent months.

The older Socket 940 64-bit CPU's are for servers, an d require registered ECC memory. That makes themslower and more expensive.

The best gaming rig on the market right now is arguably the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ in a SKT 939 Asus A8V Deluxe MOBO with a 6800 Ultra video card and some fast PC4000 DC DDR installed.

You can feel free to scale the CPU speeds and vid card price to better fit your budget and needs. I wanted to show you what the current 'ne plus ultra' consisted of; I figure you can take it from there!

NO realisticly-priced, pre-made PC will work as well as one you build, since you have to pay extra for a warranty on the whole system....a system full of marginal parts haphazardly thrown together.

Why does anyone still do that when their new CPU has a 3-year warranty and most memory sticks and vid cards have Lifetime Warranties?!? It doesn't even make sense for an e-mail machine, these days.

Then consider that an OEM will void the warranty if you even open the case yourself, so for service on a Dell or whatever you have to pay UPS to ship the whole blinkin' thing back to them...I tell you, it just isn't logical.

Good luck!

7. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!