AMD Sempron 3000?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by J.D. Locke, Sep 1, 2005.

1. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

A friend of mine gave me one of these.Are they any good?Can you give me the good and bad on this processor?

Thanks.:)

ADDED:It's a 3000+ not 3000,if that makes any difference?

2. pyblood

pyblood

I think that it’s a pretty good processor. It’s a just a little bit slower than the Athlon XP 2800+. The 2800+ has a clock speed of 2.08 GHz with 512k of L2 Cache, but eh Sempron 3000+ has a 2.08 GHz with 512k of L2 Cache. Most of the Sempron CPUs only have 256k of L2 cache like the Celerons D processors.

Here’s a review of the Sempron processors with benchmarks and comparisons.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron.html

3. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

Thanks.:)

My almost 4 year old Pentium III took a dump.If I put this processor in do I need to change anything else?I really don't know much about building a computer.

4. pyblood

pyblood

It all depends on your current computer. I think that you are probably going to have to start over from scratch. You may be able to use some components for you old PC. I can tell you that the processor will not fit in your current mother board. You will need to buy a new motherboard and RAM for sure. You’ll probably have to buy a new power supply as well. Your HD and optical drives will probably be OK. What kind of PC do you have now? Is it an OEM PC (Dell, Gateway) or a custom built PC?

5. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

Custom built by a friend,but he just shipped out to Iraq so I'm on my own.There is a store in town that builds them to spec.I'll probably have them build one.They quoted me a price of $610 for a case w/400 watt PS,DVD R/RW and a card reader for my digital camera.I think he said a MSI motherboard w/windows XP Home Edition.Plus a extra DVD player just to play my DVD's.That price sound about right?

6. pyblood

pyblood

That sounds a little high especially since you already have the processor. Make sure that they aren’t giving you a cheap case and PS. A cheap PS can be a disaster waiting to happen.

Ask them about what name brand items that they are going to use and come back here and tell us. We can tell you if they are going to good stuff or BS.
    I can tell you that MSI makes some pretty good motherboards. Is it going to have onboard video?

7. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

Guess I better go in his store and get the entire lowdown on this.I'll report back.:) Thanks.

8. pyblood

pyblood

You didn’t mention how much RAM he was going to include or what size/brand HD is going to be in the PC? You need at least 512MB and a 40GB or 80GB HD.

Why not ask him how much is actually going to charge to build the PC? We can help you buy the components here, and you can just take them to him and have him build it for you. Some shops buy the components, mark them up, and then charge you a build price on top of that. No need in spending extra money that you don’t have to.

It all depends on what you are going to use the PC for. I am not a huge fan of Dell, but with $600+ you can get one hell of a PC from them including a nice size LCD monitor. You may want to take a look at that option. Just let us know and we’ll be here to help you.

9. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

sounds too high to me.

10. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

Okay,512MB RAM w/80GB HD,minus the processor I have already it's $510.Still to high?Money is not the issue,I just don't trust the big companies,but if I have to I'll go that route.

11. pyblood

pyblood

$510 is too bad of a price I guess. It all depends on what you are going to be using the PC for. I can understand that you mean about trusting Dell and other big companies. I prefer to build my own PCs vs. buying from Dell.

Let’s break this $510 down a little here:

DVD Burner $55
    DVD-Rom $25
    XP Home $90
    512MB Ram $50
    80GB HD $60
    MSI Motherboard with onboard video $60
    Case with PS: $75 (I am willing to bet that it’s not a very nice case or PS)
    Parts Total: ~$415

It looks like the guy is going to charge you ~$100 to build your PC.

12. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

It's a nice case,has 4 fans,my favorite color blue and he knocked off $25.

I only use it for web surfing and storing and burning pics.I went ahead and bought it.He put it together right there for me and tested everything.Thanks for the help.
    :)