Votes: 1 50.0%
  • AKM

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post here on GT so hopefully this one is less controversial than my Glock 26 grip chop post. I've built a couple AR's and done some glock frame mods and have been looking at attempting an AK build for awhile.
32864704_10160321869870114_8067816390150586368_n.jpg

Classic Firearms has had a pre headspaced AMD 65 kit for $320 which looked like a good place to start for a beginner and when they went on sale recently I couldn't resist picking one up. I thought I would post a thread here following my build since I've not been able to find any other detailed build reports/reviews for this kit online.

The kit came in today in a nice unassuming box. I'm assuming all the parts are here but I don't know enough to be sure. I know I'll still need a receiver and a rivet set.

I'm planning to get a receiver from childers. Part of me knows I should just keep it stock, but the rest of me says I should either put a pistol rear trunion on it so I can keep it loaded and uncased in my vehicle (due to state law) or throw an under folder and wood furniture so it looks more like an AKM (yeah yeah, if I want an AKM I should just buy an AKM.)

The kit is very nicely parkerized but the receiver won't be so either I'd want to parkerize the receiver as well or I'd want to paint/dura/ceracoat the whole thing.

Below are some pictures, the whole thing looks like it's it great shape except for some dents in the dust cover. I was hoping for the polymer hand guards but the ones I got were wooden. I may buy some surplus polymer ones. Does any one have any experience with this? I'll try to add some close up pictures of the small parts tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's input!

34837157_10160397823615114_4538476501275770880_n.jpg

IMG_20180609_192818640.jpg

IMG_20180609_192810724.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have built ALOT of AKs. I don’t know if you have ever shot an AK pistol but to me it’s kind of pointless, but it’s your gun so do what you want. 303 is absolutely right, if you are doing a pistol you will want to cut that barrel way down. Plus the front pistol grip will have to be trashed unless you buy a tax stamp. My advice is build the AMD as intended. I have seen some AMDs made into AKMs but to me they look funky.
Are you planning on building this yourself or having it built? If you cant park the receiver, Brownelles Alumahide II if applied correctly gives the look that matches pretty close. Along with the receiver and rivets you will need a trigger group and a a couple more US parts for 992 compliance such as muzzle device, pistol grips, or gas piston. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions

1 - 3 of 3 Posts