close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ambien (zolpidem tartrate) question:

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, May 29, 2012.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I recently received an RX for Ambien for sleeping problems and got the 10mg generic. The first time I took it, my wife told me that I tried to vacuum the guest bathroom floor at 2am of which I have absolutely no recollection. Further research indicates people actually trying to take their cars out or go hiking in the middle of the night. Is this a pharmacology issue or should it be taken earlier / with food? HH

2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

If it's supposed to make you sleep, it obviously doesn't work

Lock up you guns and let your wife hide the keys.

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

I take it every night, never had that problem, take it and go straight to bed and stay there

4. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Don't take that stuff!! I know of two people in my county who got DUI's on Ambien. One got into her car at 3 am and put it in reverse backing directly into the neighbors house, the other "sleep drove" to Mcdonalds and just sat idling in the drive through until being arrested.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

That seems to be the problem. Cleaning the bathroom in the middle of the night doesn't seem to be an immediate problem...cleaning the nightstand firearm is what worries me. My wife said that I actually had the crevace tool out and was going under the baseboard electric heaters. Yikes. HH

Edited to add: she didn't bring me back to bed until I was finished. Smart girl!

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  6. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

Lots oof bad things have happened on this stuff. Take from it what you will and I hope you get it all worked out. I had a friend who took it and lots of weird things happened to him he didn't remember. One other friend as well but some just sleep on it.

7. juggy4711

juggy4711 Nimrod Son

You could not pay me to take that stuff. A buddy caught his wife eating raw meat out of the fridge at night. My uncle came to 20ft up a tree in full camouflage eating boiled eggs with plenty extra in his pockets. Another buddy was driving around the neighborhood at night and only realized it because one morning his car was parked in the yard.

8. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

I take a 10mg generic ambien every night. I just take it before I go to bed and have never got out of bed to do anything. I will say that, sometimes, actually about 10% of the time, it still takes me a couple of hours to go to sleep. It has been a Godsend for me and my trouble sleeping.

That said, I have heard of people doing all kind of things when taking it and not remembering doing them the next morning. I guess it must be one of those drugs that affect each person a little differently. My insurance carrier gave me a hard time getting it at first, probably because it is supposed to be habit-forming for sleep but, they don't give me a hard time now and I have been using it for about 1 1/2 years now. Every night or I have a very hard time sleeping. With it I usually can get a good 5 or 6 hours sleep and stay in bed on it with no wierd side-effects.

9. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

i knew this insomniac guy i used to work with. he started taking ambien. he said it was the strangest 2-3 months he'd ever lived. he was finding objects placed in the weirdest places. refrigerator items/condiments placed in the shower shelves. books, packaged food, clothing, all sorts of other things placed in his oven. nightly. all sorts of dialed calls and voicemails to people saying nothing. food and things in bed with him, waking up in the shower. he even got suspicious that he was taking late night sleep drives and would zero his trip meter before bed and the next morning there would be 20-30 miles recorded on the odometer/trip.

he quit taking ambien needless to say.

10. Bro KV

Bro KV

I can't take it because I'll get up and eat everything in the kitchen, call people and other weird stuff.

11. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

it either helps , or makes you crazy , no in between . last year i took it for awhile , wife said id get up make a big 3 course meal in kitchen and make a huge mess , and she found books in the freezer ,and the last time i took it i woke up outside on the porch sleeping under the wipe your feet rug .

that was last time i took it. i take remeron to sleep now

edit to add i wanted my wife to try it , and she never left the bed , slept like a baby .

12. Khao

Khao

Took ambien once. Slept walked to the fridge, drank an entire fifth of vodka and woke up in the hospital.

Never again.

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Ambien and Lunesta did nothing for me. I'd even try mixing with alcohol, and still couldn't sleep.

Now, I take Restoril.

I sleep like a baby most nights. Never sleepwalk. I don't feel "hung over" the next day, and I have no trouble rising. Benedryl makes me feel worse in the morning than Restoril does.

My sleeping problems stem from me not being able to go to sleep. I'm, what I like to call, an "thinker" (LOL). I lie down, and just can't turn my mind off. With the Restoril, I simply read or play on my smartphone for about 15-30 minutes, and then stop and turn over and I usually fall asleep pretty fast. If I do wake up in the middle of the night and have to get outta bed, I am somewhat uneasy on my feet, but it isn't too bad.

Having said that, I think a freight train could come through some nights and I'd never know. But, then again, even the slightest oddities have woken me up before.

I'd say give Restoril a try. :)

14. frank4570

frank4570

Mostly I've heard there is only trouble if you don't go to bed after taking it.
    My daughter took it one night and stayed up on her computer for a while. It was a wild night for all of her online friends.

15. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Epic. :faint::faint:

16. fitz4609

fitz4609

Not all people tolerate Ambien and take it without sleep-walking, sleep-driving, sleep-sex, etc. You do not tolerate Ambien well. May I suggest you discuss this with your medical provider and maybe change to Rozerom. Not a controlled substance, and once serum levels are reached it usually works very well with no amnesia. Restoril and Doxepin at low dose may be choice. No more Ambien for you unless you want to wake up behind the wheel with two state troopers on your six. Hope you find the right med. Best Wishes

17. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

if you do end up taking it (assuming it works for you) and then stop taking it, be careful of withdrawal. also be careful of dependency/addiction.

my mom became dependent on it for sleep. when we got her to stop taking it, the withdrawal caused issues for her. she basically felt like she was disconnected from reality. very strange, but fortunately nothing as extreme as what others have reported on here.

use with extreme caution. avoid if at all possible.

18. G17Jake

G17Jake

Wow.... HH, I am so glad you started this thread. I was going to call my doctor tomorrow and ask for a prescription to ambien. Forget that...

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Being that yesterday was a holiday and it was the first time I've taken it, a call to the MD is most certainly in order tomorrow morning. I resorted back to my pedestrian Lauder's tonight. HH

20. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

Try melatonin. Its an OTC sleep aid.