Glock Talk banner

Ambidextrious safety selector

1255 19
I did a search, nothing found. I like them, I have one on my Sig Sauer 522 and my Windham does not have one. It is one of those little things that you just don't know about until after you don't have one, and then hey I want one.

I ordered one from Primary, should be here in a few days. At this point I can not imagine that there is a single other thing I could do for that rifle to tweak and make things exactly like I want.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,778 Posts
I too like ambi safety's. I have a DD one, POF, BADASS, Seekins, and Strike version.... But there is something else you can do. Get yourself a Raptor charging handle, and be ready to drop more coin on more since they are so much nicer than your standard charging handle.

· Registered
16,903 Posts
ive thought of getting one added to mine. it just has the stock style selector BUT my kids a lefty so that would help a bit...thing I wonder is if I should just leave it for now..he is relatively set that he wants to go into the Military for the experience as well as for getting $$ for College. I know they wont issue him a left handed AR just because he is a lefty so ive thought that since we shoot it quite a but may as well get used to the same type of gun you will be issued more or less..

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Ambi safety selectors aren't just for lefties.... I'm right handed and prefer them b/c I have smallish hands. And my thumb is just long enough to take the selector off safe, but I can't out it back on without taking my hand off the grip. With the ambi, I use my right index finger to put it back on safe without taking my hand off the grip.

· Registered
6,536 Posts
Primary is a great place to buy from.

Ambi safeties are personal preference. I tried an RRA Ambi Star and Spikes Ambi selector and didn't like them so I stick with the standard selectors.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to not go all wild and crazy, the one I bought was $26 shipped, it looks just like what I have on there now, just has a second paddle to it. I checked 2 places before Primary, PSA and Windham, both back ordered. Checked Primary and done deal.

· Registered
992 Posts
I put a Blackhawk ambi selector that is at a 45* angle.

For me, it makes for quick acquisition from either side, with the thumb or forefinger and with much greater ease.

· Super Moderator
8,904 Posts
I actually stopped using a trigger I really like that had a proprietary safety just so I could use ambi safeties on my ARs. I have a few of the Noveske short throws and a few of the Seekins. They are faster and more positive to engage using the index finger and thumb. I do like the one on the right side for the thumb. Also, on a "night" rifle I can feel the safety selector easier with my trigger finger.

I also agree with Gdirty5 that the Raptor CH is excellent. I have several of them now. Expensive but worth it. There are some knock-offs now, some a little less and some a little more.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Help!! So the ambi safety selector switch came in and I have time to look things over and attempt to do the swap. I have watched a few youtube videos, I know what to expect and find(spring and pin) once I remove the grip. Here is where I fail, the nut that is holding the grip on, I can not see how it comes off. There is no slot for a screw driver blade, there are no interior(hex key) or exterior(socket) hexagon to attach to that I can see. Looking at it with a light and magnifying glass to determine how it was put on to begin with. I'll call Windham in the morning and ask, but I am not understanding how it comes off.

And what is with the bold print? I did not select that, it just shows up.

· Registered
992 Posts
Help!! So the ambi safety selector switch came in and I have time to look things over and attempt to do the swap. I have watched a few youtube videos, I know what to expect and find(spring and pin) once I remove the grip. Here is where I fail, the nut that is holding the grip on, I can not see how it comes off. There is no slot for a screw driver blade, there are no interior(hex key) or exterior(socket) hexagon to attach to that I can see. Looking at it with a light and magnifying glass to determine how it was put on to begin with. I'll call Windham in the morning and ask, but I am not understanding how it comes off.

And what is with the bold print? I did not select that, it just shows up.
The bolt that holds the grip can be a phillips head, straight head, allen or traditional bolt.

I would suggest getting a light in there and determine what it is. Rest assured that it in fact does come off.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bolt that holds the grip can be a phillips head, straight head, allen or traditional bolt.

I would suggest getting a light in there and determine what it is. Rest assured that it in fact does come off.
Did you read my post? LIGHT AND MAGNIFYING GLASS WERE USED TO INSPECT. I'm seeing none of the above. I'm sure that it comes off, none of my sockets catch an edge, in fact I see no edge. None of my hex wrenches catch inside the head, no slots for either blade or Phillips. I'll call Windham tomorrow who should get a chuckle out of it.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Windhams website says it uses a 3/16 Allen head.... Kinda hard to believe it doesn't have any head, Bc how would they tighten it in the first time? I thought maybe it went in the opposite direction but after pulling out a dozen ar's out the safe. Doesn't look like that's possible

· Banned
45,575 Posts
I too like ambi safety's. I have a DD one, POF, BADASS, Seekins, and Strike version.... But there is something else you can do. Get yourself a Raptor charging handle, and be ready to drop more coin on more since they are so much nicer than your standard charging handle.
What is so great about it, compared to others? Highest price one I have yet to notice. Not really a biggie, though.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Windhams website says it uses a 3/16 Allen head.... Kinda hard to believe it doesn't have any head, Bc how would they tighten it in the first time? I thought maybe it went in the opposite direction but after pulling out a dozen ar's out the safe. Doesn't look like that's possible
YOU'DA MAN!! Found a hex head 3/16" bit for a long handle bit screwdriver, insert and turned right out. 2 attempts at getting the new safety installed (backwards the first try, pin not engaging the groove, pilot error) and got it right on the second try. And I love how it works. Thank you.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
What is so great about it, compared to others? Highest price one I have yet to notice. Not really a biggie, though.
I'm a special case, I have messed up joints, including a torn rotator cuff in the left shoulder and neither of my elbows have cartilage or a radial head (had surgery to cut it off). So simple manipulations some people take for granted are sometimes challenges to me. But in the case of the raptor, it allows me to charge the rifle with my right hand which doesn't feel pain while moving, while I support the rifle with my shoulder and left hand.

I also feel that it slides smoother and is very sturdy. And the handles are just right, not too small like a milspec one but that protruding as much as say a badger lever or a bcm mod 3?4?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.