Amazon Shipping???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ede, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ede

ede

I place order with Amazon and they won't ship to my PO box here. Give them street address thinking it will come UPS or FedEx but instead comes USPS to street mail box. What is going on with Amazon doing that?

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

USPS rules.

TBO and syntaxerrorsix like this.

3. Dragline

Dragline

As long as it arrives in the promised two days, I don’t care if it arrives via Fedex, UPS, or, USPS.
    I had a small item arrive Friday and it was put in my mailbox by USPS with regular mail which is actually quite convenient. I’ve seen that lately, small packages from Amazon go to the mailbox.
    Big boxes usually UPS.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Sometimes I gotten stuff that started as a UPS shipment, but then gets handed over to USPS for the final leg. After the hand-off, you can't track it any longer and it usually takes the package 2 days to make it the last 15 miles from the UPS depot.

If it's something I want fast I pay extra to keep it with UPS all the way to my door.

Atomic Punk, syntaxerrorsix and spork like this.
  5. railfancwb

railfancwb

Had a box from Amazon delivered on a Sunday via USPS van. The lady driving the van said Amazon had contracted with USPS for this service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBO, nrajeff and WeeWilly like this.
  6. DAKA

DAKA

"So far" all my AMAZON PRIME orders have been delivered on time...(usually left by the front gate, I don't know who delivered it)

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Recently I started using Amazon quite a bit, especially since they seldom charge shipping and mostly get the item to my place in 2-3 days.
    (I have no interest or use for "Prime".)

Something I recently found is when you "track the package", Amazon shows a map of where your package is and how many deliveries are ahead of you.

That's handy for me since my gate is always locked, and I can meet the truck.

nrajeff, cyberghostx13 and treg like this.
  8. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think the Sunday deliveries are just the USPS trucks and contract drivers.

Here they used to use the USPS trucks but had non USPS drivers. Now Sunday delivery is by Amazon truck, but I think the drivers are still contract (maybe even the truck, but they are painted Amazon Grey).

TBO and SARDG like this.
  9. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I live fairly near a distribution center. Most of what I order is delivered by an Amazon truck the next day. Sunday included. When I check out the order comes up as free two day Prime delivery, I have to change it to free one day Prime to get delivery the next day.

10. as400guy1

as400guy1

Ive gotten all my amazon packages on time. Sometines through usps.
    Same thing happened with my on line pharmacy.. dhl to usps.

11. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

It's called "Smartpost" by Fedex and I think "Surepost" by UPS. It usually starts with a carrier like UPS, and involves delivery by USPS. Apparently it's cheaper. When you are ordering online, and you see an even less expensive way to ship with no real time frame, it's a hand off to the USPS for final delivery.

FullClip likes this.
  12. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

UPS contracts with USPS to deliver a lot of them. FEDEX and others have threatened to sue since UPS got such a great deal in the contract.
    Most of the trip is via UPS, then turned over to a local postal facility for final delivery.
    And the Amazon "one day shipping"...yeh...takes the same two or three days for me to get it.

13. nmk

nmk

I don't understand the problem.

greg vanstralen likes this.
  14. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Why would they sue? Fedex has opted not to renew the Amazon contract. There's not enough money to justify dancing to Amazons demands.

15. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

If it's delivered by their service, it won't go to a po box unless, maybe (?), the box is at a third party store.
    I've just recently been getting stuff delivered by (grey) amazon trucks and I've already had a couple lates. They are not allowed to put packages in your mail box either, they are not postal employees.
    One guy spent a little too long for my comfort eyeballing the contents of my open garage.

Nobody drives usps trucks but usps employees. On sundays, a lot of them are new hires or part timers so they are not in uniform.

16. P99er

P99er MGTOW??

He actually has that backwards. Back in the oughts, Fedex signed a contract with USPS for this type of delivery and more. It also included things like Fedex drop off and drop boxes at Post Office locations, and Fedex was going to use some of their airplane fleet during the day to move USPS loads across the nation. UPS sued back then because the USPS is a quasi government bureaucracy, and didn't go through the proper bid process. I think UPS won that lawsuit, and lot of the setup had to be redone. When it comes down to it, UPS is more efficient and will win in competitive bids. That was all back around 2005 and since then, it's gone through all the lawsuits and process changes and ended with both carriers getting their own version of end point delivery by USPS - '_____ Post'. Each including "Post" in that service. I'm not sure of the all the specifics regarding the air fleets moving USPS loads, but I get shipments from Oakland CA in 2 or 3 days, and I doubt it is all USPS behind that.

Recently, when Amazon started doing their own delivery, Fedex declined to renew a contract, so I assume their version of '______ Post' is no longer available, or won't be at some point in the future. Or maybe Fedex '_____ Post' will be available, but not a contracted rate.

17. PBCounty

PBCounty

Does the average GT'er get anxiety the moment they confirm an online purchase? I picture middle aged men staring out their windows, getting all bent out of shape about mail trucks....nervous about their boxes.

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Well given I asked the guy driving the Sunday USPS truck if he worked for the USPSand he said he didn’t, that he was a contractor, I just assumed he was telling the truth.

Boundertom and FullClip like this.
  19. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

It's not just Amazon that FedEx used Smartpost for. FedEx still provides lift for the USPS..1billion+ $ per year. Last I heard it was about 3 million lbs of lift per night for Express & Priority mail. Amazons demands were unreasonable....FedEx said...no thanks.

20. talon

talon

I placed an order for 4 sprinkler bodies. They arrived in 4 separate shipping envelopes on two different amazon vans at exactly the same time.

FullClip likes this.