Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right up front I'll say I'm not very knowledgeable about streaming services and personal electronics. I'm paying for Amazon Prime and I know a good bit of video is part of the subscription.

When I looked it up, it talks about connecting to your Fire TV. I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly that you have to have a so called "Smart TV". Is that correct? I have an ordinary LED TV but isn't not computer linked as far as I know. Thanks for any help you can provide. Don

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Just tried to login, said they're having a problem.

Local or not, have no idea.

Not sure what you mean by "regular LED". That could cover a bit of ground.

·
Banned
2,598 Posts
Most newer smart TV's come with Amazon tv installed... If yours doesn't you will need a firestik, firetv, gaming console, or Google Chromecast.. I actually have a Chromecast that I don't use.. I'd sell it to you for next to nothing

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Some DVD players will work, too.

Reactions: Dragline

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Go buy a fire stick. Plug it into your HDMI port and go nuts.
I did some research and our TV isn't a "smart" TV but I found what you said that a ROKU "Stick" would allow us to get Amazon Prime TV.

Does it mate will with our existing cable service? Don

Edited to add that I appreciate the comments. Talked to Best Buy and the guy seemed very knowledgeable and says like you folks have that a Roku Stick, Amazon Fire Stick and such like Apple makes will all do the trick. Even commented that a high end Roku will give essentially 4K TV signal quality.

Opens the eyes of a neanderthal when it comes to streaming etc. Thanks to all. Don

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I’m not very savvy when it comes to the gadgets. But my wife got a couple of those fire sticks on Black Friday and I have one in the gun room for reloading and it’s pretty awesome

·
Enigma
2,633 Posts
I plug my laptop into the TV with a HDMI cable. :dunno:

Reactions: TBO and juanlien

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I did some research and our TV isn't a "smart" TV but I found what you said that a ROKU "Stick" would allow us to get Amazon Prime TV.

if you have wireless internet at your house and an HDMI port on your tv, you plug the fire stick thing into the HDMI port on the TV, plug power into the wall. You then go to that “source” channel (HDMI 1,2,3, etc) and turn on the stick. Then put the log in for your wireless internet and your prime and browse the movies. They try to lure you now by showing the “rentable” movies first but there’s a section that shows free movies with subscription as well

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The Firestick or Roku plugs into a HDMI port on your TV. You access by pushing the Input button on your TV remote which allows you to switch between HDMI 1, HDMI 2, Video 1, etc. Same way you would switch to the DVD player.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
All you need is a Firestick, and if you’re paying for amazon prime it’s probably a good investment for entertainment.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
One tip for the less tech savvy. When you install your streaming stick and it tells you to go to the address to activate. Use the browsers url bar not a search engine.

It cost $0 to activate these devices and you certainly shouldn’t have to call a phone number. So many people get scammed.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you have prime tv and the expensive hulu you dont need cable anymore throw in Netflix and you are g2g there is more entertainment than you could ever need

·
Quick! Duck!
3,512 Posts
Firesticks I have found are more versatile than ROKUs. Maybe I mean more hackable...

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,030 Posts

Edited to add that I appreciate the comments. Talked to Best Buy and the guy seemed very knowledgeable and says like you folks have that a Roku Stick, Amazon Fire Stick and such like Apple makes will all do the trick. Even commented that a high end Roku will give essentially 4K TV signal quality.

Opens the eyes of a neanderthal when it comes to streaming etc. Thanks to all. Don
The Roku experience is excellent. If you decide to replace your TV for some reason, definitely check out the TCL Roku TVs. Streaming integration is fantastic on these and the image quality is everything 4K is supposed to be. 1/3 the price of a Samsung doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Before any of that, go to the menu of your TV and see if there is an "apps" selection. If, so, select, then look for Amazon video. If that appears, select. Sign in and choose your video distraction, enjoy. If your computer/laptop is close enough to the TV, buy an HDMI cable to run from computer to TV. Just a couple additional avenues for you. All the above advice is very good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts