GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,251 Posts
Not just the movies. They charge for many of the TV shows also.

Seem like anything good I want to watch on Amazon cost extra $$$$. Prime has very little good stuff for free.

Reactions: Tvov

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Are you really mad that Disney put a premium on a movie that was supposed to get a theatrical release but didn't due to Covid? Cheaper to watch at home than it would be to take the family to the theater. Besides Mulan, what have you needed Disney Premiere Access for?

Disney released several movies on streaming without a cost this year. Frozen 2, Onward, Artemis Fowl all were released early or skipped theaters altogether without an extra charge on Disney+. Several more are coming, like Soul.
I am not mad, but it annoys me that I am already paying for Disney but now I need to level up or something to "premiere access". To watch Disney movies. That I thought I had already paid for.

I understand how the world works, but it still is annoying.

It was simpler with the original setup of Netflix. You pay your monthly fee, and you had access to ALL the movies they had available. No extra fee for the latest movies.

I guess this is just old man grouching.

:fred:

·
Daca is caca
3,537 Posts
Yeah im letting my prime cancel. Will be switching to walmart for the free food $35+ delivery

·
Daca is caca
3,537 Posts
Not just the movies. They charge for many of the TV shows also.

Seem like anything good I want to watch on Amazon cost extra $$$$. Prime has very little good stuff for free.
Tubi is free and has offerings scamazon dosent

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Tubi is free and has offerings scamazon dosent
Yep and there is also Pluto tv, Popcornflix and I have an app on my iPhone called iWeb TV that you can search almost any movie you want and find it on there for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,833 Posts
Things are always rotating on and off prime.
If you search for a movie on AP, it will come up as a rental. If you simply spend the time to go through their all their current offerings, then there's a chance it will come up as available without rental.

I've seen this myself. I can start watching a movie, shut it down, then go search for it. And lo & behold, it's only available for rent.

It's part of their scam(s).

Reactions: BigBluefish

·
Daca is caca
3,537 Posts
Yep and there is also Pluto tv, Popcornflix and I have an app on my iPhone called iWeb TV that you can search almost any movie you want and find it on there for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
We routinely drop $20 on new movies on Apple because if we had gone to see it in the theatre it would've cost 4 times that. The only thing I'd love to see Apple, Amazon, et al do is that if you rent a movie and then purchase it, deduct the rental from the purchase price. How many times have you rented a movie and then said to yourself I wish I could OWN that movie (although you don't really own it, do you?)?
How many people are you taking that it costs $80 to go to a movie theater? Around here it's $9 for adults, $7 matinee and for students.

A movie theater is like a restaurant, I'm not just paying for the food, I'm paying for the experience and to get out of the house. I'm not paying $20 to stream a movie at home when in a month or two I can rent it on Amazon for $5, or probably $1.50 from Redbox. Some of the early release movie rentals on Amazon when theaters first closed were $20 to rent, then 2-3 weeks later were $5.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you search for a movie on AP, it will come up as a rental. If you simply spend the time to go through their all their current offerings, then there's a chance it will come up as available without rental.

I've seen this myself. I can start watching a movie, shut it down, then go search for it. And lo & behold, it's only available for rent.

It's part of their scam(s).
Not sure it's a scam so much as they need to clean up the listings. Some movies are listed on there multiple times with different cover art, all say Prime but only one listing shows up when searching. Others might be one listing is HD and one is UHD. Sometimes shows in particular disappear suddenly and show as unavailable if you save it to your list, then pop back on a couple weeks later. Some of it could just be because of the sheer amount of content Amazon has listed compared to the others.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
How many people are you taking that it costs $80 to go to a movie theater? Around here it's $9 for adults, $7 matinee and for students.

A movie theater is like a restaurant, I'm not just paying for the food, I'm paying for the experience and to get out of the house. I'm not paying $20 to stream a movie at home when in a month or two I can rent it on Amazon for $5, or probably $1.50 from Redbox. Some of the early release movie rentals on Amazon when theaters first closed were $20 to rent, then 2-3 weeks later were $5.
I'm sure he is including the cost of popcorn and a coke too. For my wife and I to go to the movies, the tickets are between $9 and $12 for the standard theater depending on time of day, and then the bucket of popcorn and a large drink to share is $18. So at a minimum, I am spending $36 to go to the theater because I can't sit and watch a movie without a drink at least. And what is a movie without movie theater popcorn?

So when a movie releases to streaming without a theatrical run and they charge a premium, I pay it if it was a movie I was wanting to see in the theater. Make my own popcorn and enjoy the movie in my home theater room. Not quite the same as the theater experience, but a 4k TV and a surround system that supports Dolby Atmos isn't a bad experience.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
I'm sure he is including the cost of popcorn and a coke too. For my wife and I to go to the movies, the tickets are between $9 and $12 for the standard theater depending on time of day, and then the bucket of popcorn and a large drink to share is $18. So at a minimum, I am spending $36 to go to the theater because I can't sit and watch a movie without a drink at least. And what is a movie without movie theater popcorn?

So when a movie releases to streaming without a theatrical run and they charge a premium, I pay it if it was a movie I was wanting to see in the theater. Make my own popcorn and enjoy the movie in my home theater room. Not quite the same as the theater experience, but a 4k TV and a surround system that supports Dolby Atmos isn't a bad experience.
The last 10ish years I've been averaging one movie theater trip a year. Yep, we get a bucket of "movie theater popcorn" and soda. Just sort of a fun, change of pace to go see a movie! And YES, it easily runs to almost $20 a person including everything.

Just last fall, I discovered the joy of "luxury seating" movie theaters! Huge recliners with tons of room in front and behind them. At least when we went, I don't remember the cost really being more than a "normal" ticket, but if it was, it wasn't much more.

I greatly enjoyed that, and even with this china virus mess the spaced out seating, combined with sanitizing between showings, should be doable today?

I am so tired of the china virus. Grrr....

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I’ve gotten pretty tired of the lack of selection on Prime & Netflix. Don’t foresee much new coming out of Hollywood in the foreseeable future, nor ever going to a movie theater again.

I pick up DVD’s / Blue Rays when on sale, Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy wherever. I expect those will be phased out in the next five years, so streaming providers and other digital media providers can provide limited access / expiring access digital content for a fee.

I have a lot of books, and a Nook. Having less & less use for the TV.

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
422 Posts
They have made some good movies lately? Some folks say you can hack a firestick and side-load apps that get free current flicks over the interweb.
Ha ha. I started using the “dark side” of Firestick to watch UFC events in 2019, when for a while you needed to buy four separate subscriptions to watch a single event. Fight Pass, ESPN+, Basic ESPN streaming, PPV = $100 for one event.

Then the ghost of a “not angry, just disappointed” Dana White visited me in a dream, and I went back to forking over the money.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts

I typically buy movies but have rented a couple at the $20 mark. Sometimes it's still worth it to me. I suppose if it were just me, alone, watching it and paying $20 maybe it makes no sense but there are 4 of us (which costs about $80 after popcorn and drinks at a theater). I can stay home and watch the same movie for about a third the price and eat my own popcorn (which is better anyway) and I'm more comfortable for it. I no longer care to go sit in a dirty, uncomfortably hot/cold theater. Once upon a time I did.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

Yikes, I thought $10-$12 for a soda and popcorn with free refills around here was pretty bad. Even for that I'd much rather just go get a decent meal afterwards. I can have soda and popcorn anytime for a whole lot less money, I'm going for the movie.

·
Registered
27,975 Posts
You don't own a classic collection? Shame! I hit up dollar tree/general dollar and browse the dvd/blueray bins and find lots of cheap classics. Right many Wayne/Eastwood movies I have came from there. Did switch up on my last purchase, got a Ben-Hur/The Ten Commandments double disc dvd.
I don't even have a Blu Ray or DVD player anymore... they are pointless.

We have Prime, but don't watch to many movies on it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I dropped Netflix awhile ago. If I could drop Amazon Prime video for a discount on Prime membership, I would. IMO, most of the new stuff is garbage and the decent stuff I've seen already.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts