Amazon Prime charges for all the good movies...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Oct 30, 2020.

1. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Not just the movies. They charge for many of the TV shows also.

Seem like anything good I want to watch on Amazon cost extra $$$$. Prime has very little good stuff for free.

Tvov likes this.
  2. Tvov

Tvov

I am not mad, but it annoys me that I am already paying for Disney but now I need to level up or something to "premiere access". To watch Disney movies. That I thought I had already paid for.

I understand how the world works, but it still is annoying.

It was simpler with the original setup of Netflix. You pay your monthly fee, and you had access to ALL the movies they had available. No extra fee for the latest movies.

I guess this is just old man grouching.

:fred:

3. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

Yeah im letting my prime cancel. Will be switching to walmart for the free food $35+ delivery

4. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

Tubi is free and has offerings scamazon dosent

5. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Yep and there is also Pluto tv, Popcornflix and I have an app on my iPhone called iWeb TV that you can search almost any movie you want and find it on there for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

If you search for a movie on AP, it will come up as a rental. If you simply spend the time to go through their all their current offerings, then there's a chance it will come up as available without rental.

I've seen this myself. I can start watching a movie, shut it down, then go search for it. And lo & behold, it's only available for rent.

It's part of their scam(s).

BigBluefish likes this.
  7. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

Good to know thanks

8. FCastle88

FCastle88

How many people are you taking that it costs $80 to go to a movie theater? Around here it's $9 for adults, $7 matinee and for students.

A movie theater is like a restaurant, I'm not just paying for the food, I'm paying for the experience and to get out of the house. I'm not paying $20 to stream a movie at home when in a month or two I can rent it on Amazon for $5, or probably $1.50 from Redbox. Some of the early release movie rentals on Amazon when theaters first closed were $20 to rent, then 2-3 weeks later were $5.

9. FCastle88

FCastle88

Not sure it's a scam so much as they need to clean up the listings. Some movies are listed on there multiple times with different cover art, all say Prime but only one listing shows up when searching. Others might be one listing is HD and one is UHD. Sometimes shows in particular disappear suddenly and show as unavailable if you save it to your list, then pop back on a couple weeks later. Some of it could just be because of the sheer amount of content Amazon has listed compared to the others.

Tvov likes this.
  10. cyphertext

cyphertext

I'm sure he is including the cost of popcorn and a coke too. For my wife and I to go to the movies, the tickets are between $9 and $12 for the standard theater depending on time of day, and then the bucket of popcorn and a large drink to share is $18. So at a minimum, I am spending $36 to go to the theater because I can't sit and watch a movie without a drink at least. And what is a movie without movie theater popcorn?

So when a movie releases to streaming without a theatrical run and they charge a premium, I pay it if it was a movie I was wanting to see in the theater. Make my own popcorn and enjoy the movie in my home theater room. Not quite the same as the theater experience, but a 4k TV and a surround system that supports Dolby Atmos isn't a bad experience.

Tvov likes this.
  11. Tvov

Tvov

The last 10ish years I've been averaging one movie theater trip a year. Yep, we get a bucket of "movie theater popcorn" and soda. Just sort of a fun, change of pace to go see a movie! And YES, it easily runs to almost $20 a person including everything.

Just last fall, I discovered the joy of "luxury seating" movie theaters! Huge recliners with tons of room in front and behind them. At least when we went, I don't remember the cost really being more than a "normal" ticket, but if it was, it wasn't much more.

I greatly enjoyed that, and even with this china virus mess the spaced out seating, combined with sanitizing between showings, should be doable today?

I am so tired of the china virus. Grrr....

12. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I’ve gotten pretty tired of the lack of selection on Prime & Netflix. Don’t foresee much new coming out of Hollywood in the foreseeable future, nor ever going to a movie theater again.

I pick up DVD’s / Blue Rays when on sale, Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy wherever. I expect those will be phased out in the next five years, so streaming providers and other digital media providers can provide limited access / expiring access digital content for a fee.

I have a lot of books, and a Nook. Having less & less use for the TV.

treg likes this.
  13. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Ha ha. I started using the “dark side” of Firestick to watch UFC events in 2019, when for a while you needed to buy four separate subscriptions to watch a single event. Fight Pass, ESPN+, Basic ESPN streaming, PPV = $100 for one event.

Then the ghost of a “not angry, just disappointed” Dana White visited me in a dream, and I went back to forking over the money.

14. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I typically buy movies but have rented a couple at the $20 mark. Sometimes it's still worth it to me. I suppose if it were just me, alone, watching it and paying $20 maybe it makes no sense but there are 4 of us (which costs about $80 after popcorn and drinks at a theater). I can stay home and watch the same movie for about a third the price and eat my own popcorn (which is better anyway) and I'm more comfortable for it. I no longer care to go sit in a dirty, uncomfortably hot/cold theater. Once upon a time I did.

15. FCastle88

FCastle88

Yikes, I thought $10-$12 for a soda and popcorn with free refills around here was pretty bad. Even for that I'd much rather just go get a decent meal afterwards. I can have soda and popcorn anytime for a whole lot less money, I'm going for the movie.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't even have a Blu Ray or DVD player anymore... they are pointless.

We have Prime, but don't watch to many movies on it.

17. drumgod

drumgod

I dropped Netflix awhile ago. If I could drop Amazon Prime video for a discount on Prime membership, I would. IMO, most of the new stuff is garbage and the decent stuff I've seen already.

JMag likes this.