Amazon Prime charges for all the good movies...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

i was trying to find a few classic John Wayne movies to re-live my youth. It appears that most/all of them require a rental fee. If I remember right, 5 years ago they were free.

Rant off.

Cambo and cbetts1 like this.
  2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

3. peng

peng

Bastards. It's almost like a business or something. :p

4. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

Things are always rotating on and off prime.

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

I know. Who do they think they are?

Darkangel1846 likes this.
  6. Tvov

Tvov

Yes...

We got an Amazon "Firestick" last year. We really do like it, except.... with all the "free" movies and content, we still seem to have to pay for a LOT of movies.

We have Amazon Prime (due to waaay too much buying crap) so we have access to SOME of the Prime stuff, but a lot we still have to "rent". Unless of course we pay for the Prime Titanium level or whatever it is.

We also pay for Disney+. Great, huh? Except... for the just released movies, you need "Disney Premium" to watch them. Wth? we are already paying Disney as it is. I would drop paying for Disney, except my daughter watches it a lot.

My favorite is actually YouTube - besides all the normal crap on it, it does have a bunch of movies available... except that this year they added advertisements. A lot of advertisements. Same with IMDBtv - a lot of good stuff "free", except with advertisements. I can handle the ads, especially since a lot of them give you the option of skipping them... for now, at least.

I remember the olden days when Netflix had basically ALL the movies you could think of available. Now everything is all broken up, and Netflix seems to have far more Netflix created shows than movies. I am close to cancelling Netflix if they don't go back to actually having movies for rent.

Oh well. All the free stuff was fun while it lasted!

Out West likes this.
  7. MikeB2

MikeB2

You don't own a classic collection? Shame! I hit up dollar tree/general dollar and browse the dvd/blueray bins and find lots of cheap classics. Right many Wayne/Eastwood movies I have came from there. Did switch up on my last purchase, got a Ben-Hur/The Ten Commandments double disc dvd.

8. Taz

Taz

If you have Pluto TV (free streaming for now) they have a western channel. Lots of JW movies on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tvov likes this.
  9. RenoF250

RenoF250

I think they charge on the newer movies that were not available at all before. They have plenty for free. They also rotate what is free.

10. LV3

LV3

Check your local library.

pairof44sp likes this.
  11. FoodBag

FoodBag Previously nutsnax

A part of an elitist cartel that can dictate to its customers whatever the f*ck they want, like forcing them to pay for 50+ year old movies, without fear of competition because they have politicians by the balls.

VwvertLardnerK and ZekerMan like this.
  12. cyphertext

cyphertext

Are you really mad that Disney put a premium on a movie that was supposed to get a theatrical release but didn't due to Covid? Cheaper to watch at home than it would be to take the family to the theater. Besides Mulan, what have you needed Disney Premiere Access for?

Disney released several movies on streaming without a cost this year. Frozen 2, Onward, Artemis Fowl all were released early or skipped theaters altogether without an extra charge on Disney+. Several more are coming, like Soul.

13. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

They have made some good movies lately? Some folks say you can hack a firestick and side-load apps that get free current flicks over the interweb.

pairof44sp likes this.
  14. peng

peng

Yep. these are the same folks who used to sell pirate cable boxes. :p

15. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

What ticks me off about prime is that when covid hit, they said that prime deliveries may take longer due to limited staff/drivers. Which is totally understandable.
    But I noticed they didnt give us a break on the prime subscription price. If we aren't getting the prime 2 day delivery service, we shouldn't have to pay for it. (my rant over)

ZekerMan likes this.
  16. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

We routinely drop $20 on new movies on Apple because if we had gone to see it in the theatre it would've cost 4 times that. The only thing I'd love to see Apple, Amazon, et al do is that if you rent a movie and then purchase it, deduct the rental from the purchase price. How many times have you rented a movie and then said to yourself I wish I could OWN that movie (although you don't really own it, do you?)?

cyphertext likes this.
  17. Detectorist

Detectorist

OK, I wanted to see the John Wayne movie "They Were Expendable" so I forked over $2.99 for it.

It did bring back some fond memories of my Dad and I watching John Wayne movies when I was a kid. Put a smile on my face and gave me allergies... R.I.P. Dad.

Flags likes this.
  18. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

According to some here, you're no better than a terrorist because you've funded the demise of freedom and disgraced not only the memory of John Wayne, but of your father too.

Not me though... I'm glad you enjoyed the movie and had some good memories of your dad. :thumbsup:

19. bubbatime

bubbatime

The best way to navigate the streaming services, for me, is to subscribe to Netflix for October, Disney Plus for November, Hulu for December, etc. That way the content is always fresh.

Binge watch for the month, then come back in a few months and see whats new.

1eyedjack01 and Detectorist like this.
  20. railfancwb

railfancwb

Amazon is and has been working its variation of bait and switch with great success. Well enough to make Bezos one of the richest people in the world even after his divorce. I remember when books - his starting point - were amazingly cheap. Now they are usually at or very near publisher list.