Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Hopefully it's OK to post this in Okie's - my thought being general interest.

I recently acquired this 1980 Ruger LE catalog. I noted that the AC556s were $301 (blued, folder) with POR for the SS folder.

I just sold a used 98% one for $15,500. I have greatly regretted selling it in a very rare instance of seller's remorse for me.

I was just struck by how much some guns have appreciated over the years. One of the great things about our hobby is that some, well chosen guns can appreciate greatly and provide much joy of ownership. That's one of the real benefits of fine collectibles as a way to diversify a SMALL portion of one's assets.

20200423_121318.jpg
20200423_121329.jpg

·
Federal Member
29,551 Posts
Fun weapon, LOUD!!

:thumbsup:

·
Spider
1,832 Posts
I've had many regrets, selling guns over the years, when I look back.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool. You were lucky enough to be alive when such purchases were possible.
Indeed. I still have the Colt Commando that my dad purchased in 81 for around $400. It's gone up a tad since :)

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Suggested list price $267. That would have been fun
Remember the tax stamp. Back in the day MACs were about $50. The cans a bit less. But the taxes were $400 for both.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder what the price would be today had the laws not changed.
Likely $300 or less as they don't make the guns anymore and the parts are hard to find.

·
Registered
32,525 Posts
I am shocked at how much one of my Smith revolvers has gone up since I bought it in 99. At the time you could get them fairly easily but they only made runs every so often. 3 inch M66.

Now the J frame I bought a year earlier is still about the same price new. So that isn't worth anything, especially since it was my back up gun for my career so it is a little worn.

There are a few guns I wish I had hung onto but I have to remind myself that they were being used anymore so why keep them?

·
Registered
32,525 Posts
That is cool. Remember, perspective though: in 1980, that would be the equivalent of about $1,008.46 in today's money.
And the only reason why it sold for 15k was because of the 86 ban. If they were still able to sell them new like that it would go for about a grand.

I know the select fire rifles we once had at work were pretty much the same price as the semi ones people can buy at Walmart. It makes sense. Just an extra hole, a pin, a spring, and a piece of sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is cool. Remember, perspective though: in 1980, that would be the equivalent of about $1,008.46 in today's money.
Absolutely - inflation must always be considered. Still, when I look at the $400ish that my dad paid for the Commando and today's value it still beats stocks and is a LOT more fun to own. Same for the $300 or so NIB PS MAC 10 that I have and other CIII and non-CIII stuff. As noted, fine collectibles should only be a very small part of ones holdings but, if well chosen, they are great fun to own and can do very well appreciation wise.

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am shocked at how much one of my Smith revolvers has gone up since I bought it in 99. At the time you could get them fairly easily but they only made runs every so often. 3 inch M66.

Now the J frame I bought a year earlier is still about the same price new. So that isn't worth anything, especially since it was my back up gun for my career so it is a little worn.

There are a few guns I wish I had hung onto but I have to remind myself that they were being used anymore so why keep them?
The J frame Mod 36 is, by far, my favorite gun in the world. My father used it to kill an armed robber in his Balto store thus saving himself and my mom as well as preventing me from being an orphan in 82. I've posted about this before incld the newspaper articles, etc. I have the gun. My most prized possession. He ordered it mail order in the 50s.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And the only reason why it sold for 15k was because of the 86 ban. If they were still able to sell them new like that it would go for about a grand.

I know the select fire rifles we once had at work were pretty much the same price as the semi ones people can buy at Walmart. It makes sense. Just an extra hole, a pin, a spring, and a piece of sheet metal.
Without question, the ONLY reason that any of this stuff costs what it does is legislative induced rarity. Remember NORINCO AKs were about $250ish pre ban and are now over $3000. A brand new MP5 is about $2000. A transferable conversion (not even factory original) is $40K. Same for so many CIII and pre-ban semis. Still, they bring what they bring and generally go up over time. The only threat to value is legislative.

·
NRA Life Member
29,356 Posts
Still got mine from that time period.

;)

folder.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still got mine from that time period.

;)

View attachment 744922
Man, I miss mine SO much. After I bought it I sent it to Ruger for a tune up. They replace the barrel, many internals, etc came back LNIB - in a factory box. I had all the records. SO bummed that I sold it. BAD more.

·
NRA Life Member
66,567 Posts
I often have the same feeling when I look at guitar prices and see that the $1,000 guitars I sold 15 years ago are $3,000-5,000 or so now. Heck, my first eBay purchase around 2000 was an Ovation Breadwinner for something like $240. Multiply by 10 for the current value.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts