close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Amatuer/Master classification

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by pangris, Dec 9, 2004.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

I'm a little perplexed at some of the results from matches.

In the master stock class, there are scores into to 200 range.

I can't imagine for a second that any master class USPSA shooter - heck, even those IDPA guys who are masters should be able to break 100 everytime.

Whats the deal? Do people shoot master class just so they can say, I am a master CLASS shooter?

Most importantly... once you consistently shoot a 80-ish/win in Am Civ, is there a procedure to bump you to master classes?

Thanks!

2. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Nope, some people do use a master class as a warm-up for their catagory though! And it is good practise anyway, right?:)

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

You must consider that the Master Classes are also open to anyone to shoot. The Masters have to but anyone else can as well. I am an Amature but I also shoot Master Stock and Master Unlimited. My best score to day in U/L has been a 65.18 and in M/S has been a 110.23. I shoot U/L for fun and experience and M/S to be sure we have a full team when needed and as a warm-up for AmCiv if my score is not needed for the M/S Team.

As for being bumped to the Master Class. If you are rated as a Master in other deciplines(IDPA/IPSC and so on) then you are supposed to be shooting Master in GSSF whether its your first or 100 GSSF Match. As for GSSF bumping you strickly from GSSF Matches after you have 3 "A" Class wins in any category you are promoted to Master. Section 170.XX in the rules covers all this and section 170.50 specifically defines "Master Class" .

4. pangris

pangris Moderator

No worries about IPSC/IDPA. I'm unclassy, I mean unclassified by USPSA and will probably fall into the high D, low C range when they do get around to putting a letter next to me.

So I can practice hard and win three guns before the going gets rough...

Didn't even think about master as a warm up. GREAT idea. I WILL do that next time around.

I may have to shoot three classes next time... muahahahaha! Major sub, here I come...

Good knowledge, thanks!

Paul

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Pangris,

Any Amateur may shoot any GSSF Category with the appropriate pistol, the exception being that an amateur may not shoot both Am/Civ and Am/Guardian. A "Master" may only shoot Master Stock, Unlimited and Majorsub Categories.

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Gun-wise, actually you could win more than that based on luck. The criteria are 3 "A" class wins. My understanding is that "B" awards don't count. But it's clear they're different venues; I have some friends who're Master classed in IDPA, follow the rules, and shoot MS and UL when they come to enjoy a GSSF event. Their scores don't look like it, but they have a blast nonetheless. I usually shoot Comp as a warmup to AC, but next year I'm gonna be like Don and shoot UL 'cause it just looks like too darned much fun and I get to "trick out" a gun somewhat. No doubt I'll be one of those 3-digit jobs underneath DP, Tony, Bobby, Don and others, but I plan to have fun playing catch-up. For me that's what GSSF is about.
    ;f